5 [7.04%]
1 [1.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis re-evaluated
    Posted: February 04 2022 at 13:09
Duke
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2022 at 10:06
Voted for And Then There Were Three but as far as Prog fans are concerned this is 'tallest dwarf in the village' territory. They had moved into a different realm of expression and marketplace by Duke and the Pop albums deserve to be rated by Pop criteria not Prog criteria.

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 22 2022 at 10:08
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2022 at 07:16
Duke!
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2022 at 05:55
Abacab!

Yes, really, and I'm not ashamed of it. Approve

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2022 at 02:59
Duke gets my vote, a strong album that sees the trio bringing out the best in each other. For me ATTWT was a bit of a misfire (with a handful of good tracks), and the subsequent albums were patchy at best.

I recently listened to The Way We Walk - The Shorts, and when those songs are stripped of the 80s production values, and Chester Thompson and Daryl Steurmer flesh them out, you get a hint of what could have been. They're still disappointing, though.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2022 at 20:02
^^ Yes, and it's a lot different from AbaCrap!
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2022 at 19:15
Duke is honestly a great album
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 19:40
Duke, please save me from Abacrap.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2021 at 07:01
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

I'm stunned there is so much love for ATTWT. Yes it's a transitional album with its own unique sound, recorded during a "stranger-than-most" era of the music industry.

"Down and Out", "Ballad of Big", "Burning Rope", "Deep in the Motherlode", and "The Lady Lies" are all Genesis classics. The rest could be described as "nice", "all right", or "cute".

Then there's "Say It's Alright Joe" which is monumentally underwhelming - it sounds like the rest of the album, but it's instantly forgettable. I understand they played it live - that must have been when everybody ran to the restroom! 

Always thought Snowman was pretty decent, as well. 
The "B" chorus section and finish of "The Lady Lies" is one of my all-time favorite motifs Genesis ever did--Phil's drumming is extraordinary! And that high pitched vocal melody! And Mike's machine gun bass play in the finale with Tony's piano chord play! All peak emotional points for me!

Edited by BrufordFreak - December 10 2021 at 07:04
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2021 at 05:36
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

I'm stunned there is so much love for ATTWT. Yes it's a transitional album with its own unique sound, recorded during a "stranger-than-most" era of the music industry.

"Down and Out", "Ballad of Big", "Burning Rope", "Deep in the Motherlode", and "The Lady Lies" are all Genesis classics. The rest could be described as "nice", "all right", or "cute".

Then there's "Say It's Alright Joe" which is monumentally underwhelming - it sounds like the rest of the album, but it's instantly forgettable. I understand they played it live - that must have been when everybody ran to the restroom! 

Its interesting but what you say pretty much aligns with what I think about the album. You've nailed the best tracks for sure in your list and the rest is definitely more 'pop'. However I just enjoy the blend of music and if stick with running order as it is then there is always a prog track just round the corner! 

In general I tend to think that there are very few Genesis albums that are perfect. Even the much praised Selling England By The Pound is not all that imo. There are a couple of tracks that are amazing and then a bunch of other stuff. 
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 12:59

Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 12:33
I love both eras, pop and prog, so for me the real misfire of their discography is ATTWT. Trying to keep on in the vein of the previous two albums short a quarter of what made those two so magical and effective... it just doesn't really work that well for me. I don't hate it, but I think they also realized they needed a bit of a reinvention going forward, as Duke was much brighter and more in your face all the way through. Follow You Follow Me is a good pop song though.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 07:48
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Both ATTWT and Duke are terrific records.

After that, not so much. I voted for Duke because the ending is just too good.

Yeah, Dukes Travels/Dukes End could be the best close to a Genesis album since Los Endos. Certainly better than FYFM The last three tracks on W&W are pretty sublime too.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 07:36
Both ATTWT and Duke are terrific records.

After that, not so much. I voted for Duke because the ending is just too good.
The Prog Corner
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 02:54
duke
(it, shapes, attwt)
we can't dance - would have been a good 40 min album without the filler, though
abacab
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 02:40
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Probably my favourite song from this era never made it onto an album The Day the Light Went Out. Apparently it was too much like early Genesis and so was discarded. A close second to that is Vancouver.
In general Abacab is where I got off the Genesis train (half of it is great) although there are still some very nice tracks on the next 3 albums.

that's a great song indeed.

Some of the songs from the Abacab recordings that ended up as B-sides were better than most songs on the album IMO. LOL So strange, I've never understood what happened there. 

Totally agree.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 00:22
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Probably my favourite song from this era never made it onto an album The Day the Light Went Out. Apparently it was too much like early Genesis and so was discarded. A close second to that is Vancouver.
In general Abacab is where I got off the Genesis train (half of it is great) although there are still some very nice tracks on the next 3 albums.

that's a great song indeed.

Some of the songs from the Abacab recordings that ended up as B-sides were better than most songs on the album IMO. LOL So strange, I've never understood what happened there. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 00:15
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 00:02
If I was to rank the trio albums, it would be like this

ATTWT
Duke
S/T
We Can't Dance
Abacab 
Invisible Touch

Abacab and WCD can be switched at times I guess. 
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 19:06
Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

I’m an all era Genesis fan and don’t think there are any bad albums by the group. Their pop leanings were better than most pop, and they always managed to mix the prog/rock in all of their albums. The problem with the later albums is that they are not always strong all the way they. My rankings:
ATTW3
Duke
Genesis
IT
Abacab
We Can’t Dance

Glad to see someone else shares this view. I still prefer the prog era, but their pop material still had its share of highlights as well. In fact, I wouldn't rate any of their pop albums under a 3/5 (with the exception of Calling All Stations, and even then, I think that one's over-hated as well). But if I had to pick my favorite, then I would say Invisible Touch. Normally I would have said ATTWT (and I know it is still a trio album), but I still feel as though that record is firmly in the realm of prog despite the pop leanings. There's a lot on that album that's carried over from W&W and ATOTT, and I actually think the pop elements even strengthen its emotional weight at times too. 

Anyway, now that I'm done rambling, here's my list:

ATTWT
Invisible Touch
Duke
S/T
We Can't Dance
Abacab 
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd