Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Current 93, Dead Can Dance, Swans

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these will you choose as the favoured one?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [60.87%]
4 [17.39%]
5 [21.74%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Current 93, Dead Can Dance, Swans
    Posted: December 26 2021 at 18:40
Three bands that I very much got into over the last few years that started releasing studio albums at about the same time (Current 93 in 1984, Swans in 1983, and Dead Can Dance in 1984). All have had long careers and have continued to release music until recent times and there are stylistic similarities with folk/ neofolk, dark and gothic music, and Swans and Current 93 have industrial qualities, and the one finds darkwave qualities.... Xiu Xiu, which I relate to Swans, I had thought about including too. Anna von Hausswolff is one worth looking into who is into such music.

Please vote for a favourite of these choices, and I would appreciate it if you would perhaps mention a favoured album and perhaps a track from your band choice (you can mention those from all three bands if you like).

With Swans, my first favourite album was Soundtracks for the Blind and then I was very into To Be Kind, and most recently got very into White Light From the Mouth of Infinity. Lots I like and more to explore.

With Current 93, I first go into All the Pretty Little Horses, and been most into Thunder Perfect Mind of late.

With Dead Can Dance, I seem to have particular thing for Spleen and Ideal, but really like others too.

Here is a track from each band that I like:

Feel free to vote no matter how little you know.

I suppose in terms of current importance to me:
1. Swans
2. Dead Can Dance
3. Current 93
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2021 at 00:50
Current 93 for me. I find them a bit hit and miss, but I love the Theinmostlight trilogy.
I've dipped into Swans and Dead Can Dance but I have never got into either.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2021 at 01:27
Tough call, as they all have excellent moments, but alot of lesser work as well.

I'll go with Dead Can Dance

Favorite track: The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2021 at 01:36
Voted Current 93, although very much hit & miss. Black Ships Ate The Sky might my favourite album whole but they have excellent songs all over. Don't care much for the more experimental/noisy/abstract stuff. 

I've never really listened to Dead Can Dance but maybe I should fix that one day. 

I used to like early Swans but find it much too aggressive and negative for me nowadays. Later stuff I've never got into. 

Here's a fun song from C93:

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2021 at 02:11
It's either Dead Can Dance or Swans by quite some distance down to Current 93 on third for me (only know them superficially). Been a fan of the former two "bands" for most of my life actually. Before having heard about this "prog-thing". Lately I've spent a lot more time on DCD than Swans - I haven't even checked out Leaving Meaning (their Swansong?:) and probably still love their 1988-1996-era over those grandiose comeback albums. But I'm sort of planning a revisit soon.

As for now I got to give my vote to Dead Can Dance. Most of their albums are amazing (except for Spiritchaser) but let's say my top six contains St, Spleen and Ideal, Within The Realms of a Dying Sun, The Serpent's Egg..., Aion and Anastasis.

I listen their to first albums quite often. Advent is a favorite of mine as well and so is the totally unproggy The Trial - and this one:

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2021 at 05:41
Current 93 gets my vote.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2021 at 09:14
I haven't been able to to into Swans when I've tried.  The best I have heard from Current 93 beats out DCD, but DCD has been somewhat more consistent so I voted for them
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2021 at 14:52
Not into Current 93, DCD is hit and miss but yes Swans take it for me. 
Soundtracks For The Blind over To Be Kind but I have maybe three others by them I haven't spent any time with yet. She Loves Us is a pretty cool tune.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2021 at 15:25
love Swans and Dead Can Dance, but my vote goes to Swans.

Current 93 never click on me
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2021 at 15:56
DCD.....'Realm' being my favorite one with 'Anywhere Out of this world' being perhaps my favorite track
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2021 at 17:46
Didn't know Current 93 and like the posted song, but I love both DCD and Swans a lot and the C93 song is not good enough to draw me away. DCD have more consistency, but the highlights of the Swans discography (particularly the 2010 trilogy) are second to none, and grab my vote.

Edited by Lewian - December 27 2021 at 17:46
UncleRust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UncleRust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2021 at 17:53
I am going to go with Dead Can Dance.

Swans are simply amazing, but I can always happily listen to DCD.

Current 93...well, Tibet is someone I find interesting, if a little abstruse.  While I have heard several songs I liked, I have not enjoyed a full album from them.  It may just be that I have not heard the one that will convince me yet as they have quite a few.  Not a quantity like Tangerine Dream's insane catalog but still sizable enough that my wallet may make horrid screechy noises each time I consider delving further into their recorded work.  Could just be in my head, of course.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2021 at 01:58
All three are hit and miss for me, containing in their discographies the cliché of the good, the bad, and the ugly. On a tangent, I’ve always liked that ugly exists outside good or bad. And when it comes to Swans and Current 93, if not so much DCD, a lot of the ugly can be very, VERY, good!

It really comes down to a contest of two, for me, though - because as much as all three are hit and miss for me, DCD have never had as much appeal as Swans and Current 93. In addition, both have strong associations with other acts I really love, which does (perhaps unfairly) add an extra appeal to their own music.

I may yet decide I’ve made the wrong choice, but I’ve committed, and put my vote down for Current 93.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2021 at 03:10
I'm resurrecting the first track from my favourite Dead Can Dance album: Anastasis (2012)

Children of the Sun

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2021 at 03:24
I'm not (yet) sufficiently familiar with Swans and Current 93, but like what I have heard, including these sample tracks. Dead Can Dance however has always been rather special to me, especially their first period (say first five albums...).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2021 at 08:51
wow that Current 93 track is another version of the Steeleye Span track "Two Magicians".  The lyrics are almost identifcal but otherwise they are very different.  I always thought the lyrics were "cold Black smith" not coal black smith!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 10:36
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

I'm not (yet) sufficiently familiar with Swans and Current 93, but like what I have heard, including these sample tracks. Dead Can Dance however has always been rather special to me, especially their first period (say first five albums...).

Thumbs Up
I would add Into The Labyrinth...technically the 6th,  the very first one is a different style and not as interesting imho.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2022 at 02:35
Brendan had a new album last year (2020), not sure what to make of it but liked a few of the Greek themed tracks. for me DCD (early stuff) and solo Brandan Ark (era) was great/ 
I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2022 at 01:06
Dead Can Dance
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply