Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are you listening to songs/tracks or albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2022 at 00:18
I know albums should be the correct answer... and of course when I buy an album I do listen to it whole several times. But usually I'm done digesting it, I rip the songs I like best for my IPod, with lists for the artist, genre, etc. in which said songs will fit. If I happen to like the whole album, then it's likely I'll end up listening to it on my IPod... or sometimes I end up making my versions of the albums, with my favourite versions of the songs, or alternate versions that might have been of the album with outakes that I happen to like better than the songs that actually made it to the album... it all depends on what's available and what I liked.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2022 at 08:02
 I'm probably in the minority here but I tend to pull tracks & create play lists. 
(Please don't take my prog card away! LOL ) 
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2022 at 08:18

I listen primarily to songs.. (and parts of albums);  one pops up in my head and I rush to play it :)

BUT, I always think in terms of albums, with their names and cover art.. so, for instance, when I search them on streaming services or youtube (you know, some obscure ones, Italian or not, are found there and lately I'm happy finding some 'unremastered' versions there, notably, Trespass; I met many of these on 90's remastered cd's, and I'm fine with that, but later remasters in some cases tend to annoy me :) ), I always anchor on the album.. and play it there.. if then I do nothing, the album goes on (I prefer that to a random one popping in).

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Originally posted by Hiram Hiram wrote:

My preferable medium is vinyl, and indeed 40-50 min. album length. But I have a programmable CD-player which gives the very good possibility to create and listen to my own version of an album (with skipping some tracks or playing them in another order than the usual) if I'm not satisfied with the original version. 
- After being doing that for some years, in fact I enjoy it a lot as it's rather creative, and I can be very pleased with the result.

Clap You made me remember that..  in the 90's all-in-one stereos I had fun doing that and having a great time then listening to the result.. for instance when I knew I couldn't go there (or upstairs on my dads' house) to change it, when studying with mates, etc., when nobody bothered (or knew how) with that function.. you know thinking ahead what would I want to listen after this and that, and entertained myself doing the prog. Let's not forget that the only alternatives in that time were to shuffle the CD or let it run through.. (or the radio).

Edited by Machinemessiah - January 03 2022 at 10:24
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2022 at 18:16
Originally posted by Machinemessiah Machinemessiah wrote:

I listen primarily to songs.. (and parts of albums);  one pops up in my head and I rush to play it :)

BUT, I always think in terms of albums, with their names and cover art.. so, for instance, when I search them on streaming services or youtube (you know, some obscure ones, Italian or not, are found there and lately I'm happy finding some 'unremastered' versions there, notably, Trespass; I met many of these on 90's remastered cd's, and I'm fine with that, but later remasters in some cases tend to annoy me :) ), I always anchor on the album.. and play it there.. if then I do nothing, the album goes on (I prefer that to a random one popping in).

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Originally posted by Hiram Hiram wrote:

My preferable medium is vinyl, and indeed 40-50 min. album length. But I have a programmable CD-player which gives the very good possibility to create and listen to my own version of an album (with skipping some tracks or playing them in another order than the usual) if I'm not satisfied with the original version. 
- After being doing that for some years, in fact I enjoy it a lot as it's rather creative, and I can be very pleased with the result.

Clap You made me remember that..  in the 90's all-in-one stereos I had fun doing that and having a great time then listening to the result.. for instance when I knew I couldn't go there (or upstairs on my dads' house) to change it, when studying with mates, etc., when nobody bothered (or knew how) with that function.. you know thinking ahead what would I want to listen after this and that, and entertained myself doing the prog. Let's not forget that the only alternatives in that time were to shuffle the CD or let it run through.. (or the radio).

Back then I used to do my mix-tapes to listen to my favourite songs. And also to be able to listen in the car.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2022 at 19:58
If I'm going to be listening to music for a while, I'll put on an album. But sometimes I just want to listen to one track; especially with prog, albums and songs can be so dense that it's a lot to take in with one bite. Sometimes I just want to get to know the album song by song, then when I listen to it fully it's easier for me to enjoy. I never bother with playlists though.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2022 at 06:52
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I'm probably in the minority here but I tend to pull tracks & create play lists. 
(Please don't take my prog card away! LOL ) 

Well, I won't count you among Prog purists. Smile
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2022 at 16:44
There's not a wrong answer here, I mean I had an I-pod for maybe a couple of years when I used to jog and really, really enjoyed listening to nothing but great tracks so I get it. But I am an album guy all the way. And it's so rare for me to even skip tracks. And I need a physical copy. Also I see so many mistakes with some who stream the music then review it. No liner notes so wherever they get their info is often wrong. My oldest daughter is like me in that she pours over the liner notes, it's half the fun with the music being that other half.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2022 at 17:45
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

My oldest daughter is like me in that she pours over the liner notes, it's half the fun with the music being that other half.

Oh yes, the liner notes and of course the artwork (particularly on vinyl releases) are so vital to my involvement in the music.

It all contributes to the immersive experience that to me is so much a part of enjoying the music.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2022 at 17:49
Mostly albums. Sometimes tracks. Sometimes playlists. Sometimes discographies.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2022 at 00:04

There's not a wrong answer here, I mean I had an I-pod for maybe a couple of years when I used to jog and really, really enjoyed listening to nothing but great tracks so I get it. But I am an album guy all the way. And it's so rare for me to even skip tracks. And I need a physical copy. Also I see so many mistakes with some who stream the music then review it. No liner notes so wherever they get their info is often wrong. My oldest daughter is like me in that she pours over the liner notes, it's half the fun with the music being that other half.

I guess it's OK to review music by streaming it... if it is listened thoroughly enough, and only the information available is used. Hearing the music and how it is liked should be more than enough, if nothing more is known about it.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2022 at 01:07
Tracks on shuffle mode most of the time ( I-pod or Alexa) . When I buy a new album I listen to it about 3-5 times and that's usually it. The music I truly love will still get played properly (albums) but I tend to obsess on a a small number of albums in that regards (BSS, Red, ATOTT etc) so it's still only represents a small amount of time overall. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2022 at 01:20

That’s not a fault of reviewing from streaming, so much as a fault of following up the appropriate source to find out missing/unknown information. Some physical releases provide as little (to no) information regarding credits, etc. as a stream - so it’s not a problem that exists only from streaming. The onus is on the reviewer to contact the band or record label or promotion agency, or other similar alternative that should be able to provide the correct information. Some reviewers do appear to be lazy at times, and Google for results that can be less than accurate.

But as a reviewer for a site that is constantly inundated with releases to review, a surprising number of artists provide only a streaming option. I have reviewed albums from a private stream like this only twice, and decided after that, never again. I just can’t get comfortable enough to listen to the album as is necessary.

Most albums these days come for review as either a Bandcamp download code or to download from a private site of one description of another. While some artists provide an EPK, or a PDF version of the liner notes that would come with the physical version of the album, they are the minority.

I definitely have no problem with reviewing a release from a source that is not physical, and think those that insist that any review not from a cd or lp is inferior are wrong. It’s possible to write an informative an accurate review of an album from a stream, and conversely a messy and inaccurate review from a cd or lp.

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2022 at 07:48
When I'm listening on the various hosted shows that I visit, songs/tracks, or when taking part in the Interactive Poll here, same.  When I listen on my own, the entire recordings, usually of purchases.  I also preview what I would like to buy, when the "storefront," allows (such as Bandcamp), so may not listen all through if something wasn't as promising as I'd hoped.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2022 at 08:19
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

I'm finding that in more recent times, with more music stored on hard drive, that I'm increasingly listening to tracks rather than albums. But this depends on how much time I have to listen to music, the music itself, and what I'm doing at the time.

I often listen to whole albums. I often listen to individual favourite tracks from albums. I sometimes skip tracks when listening to albums, more often the first or last tracks than those in the middle. I usually listen to an album in standard track order. I don't listen to music in random order, even if I'm not listening to it in standard order. I don't create playlists, restricting my listening to one album at a time.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2022 at 08:28
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I guess it's OK to review music by streaming it... if it is listened thoroughly enough, and only the information available is used. Hearing the music and how it is liked should be more than enough, if nothing more is known about it.

I use very much Spotify to hear new to me music, and I've seen a lot of classics with additional tracks but without informing that they're additional to the original version. 
So when using Spotify, I'll surely advice to check whether it's just just the original version or with additional tracks.
That is of course the same with Youtube.

Edited by David_D - January 07 2022 at 09:14
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2022 at 08:49
I've alwas been an album kind of person, regardless of the genre, but I've moved towards songs more than before.

Say, it used to be 90-10 and now it is 75-25.

It obviously depends on the amount of time I have at that particular moment. If I'm at home I tend to listen to albums most of the time. But if I have a 30 minute drive or less where I can't liste to a full album I play songs. 
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
mickcoxinha View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickcoxinha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2022 at 21:48
If it is CDs or Vinyls, obviously whole albums. If it is on Spotify, depends on what I am listening. When it is bands whose albums that I consider the enjoyable, I will most probably pick up one their albums to listen. 

If it is music from artists that I don't like that much to listen to whole albums, I usually create some playlists based on the style with the best songs of that style.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2022 at 03:46
I listen to tracks on albums, but since I'm a CD fan, I tend to skip the ones I don't like or the ones that Sleepy me

the conviennent skip or replay buttons on the remote control aremy friends, for uneven album listening.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Progrocco View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progrocco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2022 at 15:05
Mostly albums, with the occasional thematic playlists that I have created.
Canterbury23 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canterbury23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2022 at 12:48
Albums for me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>