Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you have a "happy song" from 2021's Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you have a "happy song" from 2021's Prog?
    Posted: December 31 2021 at 19:51
Somewhat mysteriously, each year seems to generate one prog song that rises to the top--becomes my "happy song": a song that never fails to have me smiling, turning the volume up, and moving my body (spastic pseudo-dancing).

This year that song is from Monobody's Comma album. It's called "Phaon Crescent" and I'd post a link here to it (available on Bandcamp or YouTube) but my ancient PC won't allow updates/limit my capabilities in that respect.

Do you have such a song? From a 2021 release?

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 20:19
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Somewhat mysteriously, each year seems to generate one prog song that rises to the top--becomes my "happy song": a song that never fails to have me smiling, turning the volume up, and moving my body (spastic pseudo-dancing).

This year that song is from Monobody's Comma album. It's called "Phaon Crescent" and I'd post a link here to it (available on Bandcamp or YouTube) but my ancient PC won't allow updates/limit my capabilities in that respect.

Happy New Year!  I'm happy to join you in some spastic pseudo-dancing!  Cheers, Chuck (aka FIB)

Edited by cstack3 - December 31 2021 at 20:19
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 21:50
Transatlantic - Heart Like a Whirlwind

that's my "happy song"
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2022 at 00:08
Approve the song the river sang by Kansas. 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2022 at 04:20
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2022 at 05:50
I’ll have to think before I can choose a particular song, since there are quite a few I could mention.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2022 at 06:21
With the exception of Yes and Moon Safari, I don't listen to happy prog. That said, I found myself smiling to this one...

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2022 at 07:26
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

AWESOME selection, Will!!! Loved the video with its Guinness Book of Records submission for "How many guitars can one guy play in one 10-minute song"!!! Was fascinated by the recording set up for the orchestra and choir. Vinnie sounded a little off his game, but the rest was AWESOME! The finale was definitely stomp-hoppin'. Thanks for sharing!

Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2022 at 07:31
Happy New Year!  I'm happy to join you in some spastic pseudo-dancing!  Cheers, Chuck (aka FIB)

[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much, Chuck! I love our collaboration!

Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2022 at 07:34
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Transatlantic - Heart Like a Whirlwind

that's my "happy song"

Definitely a great one, Marek! Great choice! I definitely wanted to squirm across the floor to that one!
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2022 at 07:37
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

With the exception of Yes and Moon Safari, I don't listen to happy prog. That said, I found myself smiling to this one...

Yes! A little more of an unusual song for Marco & Co. Nice choice (despite your reluctance/hesitance)! 
(Don't you think there's got to be a little joy and silliness, Cindy, in order to counterbalance our life-long fight against Gravity? Perhaps you should try listening to Magma's MDK--real loud. That way you can stay dark and yet be compelled to rave/dance!)

Edited by BrufordFreak - January 01 2022 at 07:41
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2022 at 07:44
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Approve the song the river sang by Kansas. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YlrUg-IlY8&ab_channel=Kansas-Topic  

Okay, Andrew. Technically a 2020 song, but definitely a submission worthy of the topic. Nice! I like the lyrics. And the violin, guitar, clavinet interplay in that heavy end section.

Edited by BrufordFreak - January 01 2022 at 07:46
Drew Fisher
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2022 at 08:45

Hah, the first thing that springs to mind for me is a different song from the same album, namely "Sylphina":

This comes very close but might be more jazz than prog:

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2022 at 13:14
Fifty seconds of thrash jazz insanity - Spinifex's f**k The Pest:

Has me grinning and/or moshing every time.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2022 at 16:48
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Fifty seconds of thrash jazz insanity - Spinifex's f**k The Pest:

Has me grinning and/or moshing every time.

Definitely a smiler! Not sure I have enough time to work up to some serious head-banging though--unless I put it on repeat. Thanks for sharing, Simon!

Edited by BrufordFreak - January 01 2022 at 16:49
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2022 at 16:55
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Hah, the first thing that springs to mind for me is a different song from the same album, namely "Sylphina":

This comes very close but might be more jazz than prog:

Thanks for both of those, Mira! You're right: there are several to choose from on the Comma album. I've just found throughout the year that whenever my "2021 songs" playlist shuffles to "Phaon Crescent" that I go to the source to see what the song's name is (I know without question that it comes from Comma.)

Also love the spirit of the second song. But to have that close up of John McLaughlin on the cover but barely any guitar is quite surprising! I mean, the song's half over, the piano and sax having had a lot of time to show off in front of the tight combo, before John's synth guitar sound is even heard! Still, it's always a privilege to hear something new from our nearly-80-year old guitar maestro, n'est-ce pas?

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by BrufordFreak - January 01 2022 at 16:59
Drew Fisher
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2022 at 03:03
Nothing standing out for me this year but last year Pendragon - 'Starfish and the Moon' was the one that made me feel happy.

Happy New Year Smile
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2022 at 06:30
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Nothing standing out for me this year but last year Pendragon - 'Starfish and the Moon' was the one that made me feel happy.

Happy New Year Smile

That was a GREAT one! Though my "happy song" from last year (2020) was "Yogi Tea" by Magick Brother and Mystic Sister with "Wehr Mahrü" by Dai Kaht as my back up.

Drew Fisher
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2022 at 06:48
Drew,

Thank you for leaving comments to all who participated. Classy move!!
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2022 at 07:29
I think I'd nominate Not Afraid Part 1 from the Neal Morse band album. Not so much for dancing to, but it's such an uplifting song with fantastic harmonies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>