Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Prog: Fourth Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [9.86%]
7 [9.86%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.41%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.82%]
5 [7.04%]
5 [7.04%]
3 [4.23%]
2 [2.82%]
11 [15.49%]
4 [5.63%]
3 [4.23%]
3 [4.23%]
2 [2.82%]
1 [1.41%]
2 [2.82%]
8 [11.27%]
2 [2.82%]
3 [4.23%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote King Crimson776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 22:30
The Flower Kings then Porcupine Tree

Spock's Beard, Pendragon, Marillion and Transatlantic all have very good albums here too. I still need to listen to the Neal Morse Band album.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 02:25
"From Silence to Somewhere" ahead of "Anno Domini High Definition" and "Sing to God"

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 02:44
Riverside
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 02:57
Riverside
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 12:35
'Flower Power' for me
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 20:05
Riverside, I guess. Strangely enough, I do love their classic sound, and this is perhaps the album that departs the most from it, but it's also my favourite from them.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 10:34
PT....Wobbler.....Flower Kings...
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 11:14
I don't have that Swans album yet (I've been very into Swans of late). It's a tough choice between the Cardiacs and Guapo albums for me. I love both of those. Much as it pains me not to vote for Five Suns, which I think fantastic, I'm voting for an album I don't find as perfect but love (even if it's not altogether consistent for me and not my favourite Cardiacs album) which is of course Sing to God. Heck, even if it was just down to "Dirty Boy", which is for me one of the greatest songs ever I'd, be wanting to vote for Sing to God. And it led to my favourite cover album that covers a whole album (and it's a double album), Singin' to God by the The 180 Gs. Shared this various times, but Dirty Boy off it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VV-0xRj3TI

This is another of my favourite Dirty Boy covers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sq0nTW6RpE

I like hearing others takes on favourites of mine.

Edited by Logan - January 28 2022 at 11:19
EduTatsumi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EduTatsumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 17:43
Pendragon - The Window of Life
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 17:54
Anekdoten Gravity
very tough poll
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2022 at 08:30
Marillion again!

IQ fall short but only just, it’s still a fantastic album.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 09:49
I only just realised that Dream Theater's fourth album in the poll should have been "A Change of Seasons" (1995). It's listed as an EP on Wikipedia, even though the album's 57 minutes long. Wacko
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 10:13
^You made no error. It is an EP. The title track is 23 minutes, while the rest of the album is cover tunes.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 10:35
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^You made no error. It is an EP. The title track is 23 minutes, while the rest of the album is cover tunes.

Thanks for your reassurance, but "A Change of Seasons" still seems like a genuine full-length album to me, especially considering I have the full-priced album in my CD collection. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2022 at 10:23
I've finally got around to listening to all of the nineteen albums in this 4th Modern Prog poll (again ignoring the five Avant Prog albums) with the Neo Prog bands Magenta; Mostly Autumn; Pallas; Pendragon all predictably rated highest of all, but with Opeth still stuck in a growling 2-star rut, although I've heard from a reliable source (Cristi) that they improve massively with their fifth album, Blackwater Park, produced by Steven Wilson and described as Opeth's magnum opus on Wikipedia - unlike Opeth's first four albums which are more of a magnum 'opeless, although that's purely a matter of subjective opinion on my part. Tongue  

5 stars 2006: Magenta - New York Suite - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQcvG-OXfRo
5 stars 2001: Mostly Autumn - Music Inspired by Lord of the Rings - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdktF-lL0yEbyF28C2EYG0kHXkFh6grhA
5 stars 1993: Pendragon - The Window of Life - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lDQUkhpfsA
3 stars 2009: Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNlK4jNAlrM
3 stars 1999: Spock's Beard - Day for Night - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkTu74HV3qs
4 stars 2014: Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qRcBOKhZcw
4 stars 2017: Wobbler - From Silence to Somewhere - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2W_UAIqwbk

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 15 2022 at 10:28
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2022 at 04:42
Sing to God - just 'Dirty Boy' on it's own should win this hands down (but it won't...)
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lark the Starless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2022 at 15:39
Clutching at Straws.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 13:14
Wobbler - From Silence to Somewhere (2017)     
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2022 at 03:56
I'm going with Opeth today. Probably the only album from them I genuinely enjoyed from start to finish, excluding Blackwater Park, which just, to me, felt like like half-assed follow up to Still Life (in that it lacks the atmosphere, imo), such that while I enjoy it, I see no reason to listen to it when Still Life is just simply better.

Edited by bardberic - July 08 2022 at 03:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12