Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Prog: Fifth Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [6.94%]
4 [5.56%]
5 [6.94%]
2 [2.78%]
9 [12.50%]
2 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.78%]
1 [1.39%]
8 [11.11%]
3 [4.17%]
2 [2.78%]
4 [5.56%]
3 [4.17%]
9 [12.50%]
1 [1.39%]
4 [5.56%]
4 [5.56%]
2 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern Prog: Fifth Album
    Posted: July 04 2022 at 13:20
Spock,s Bread 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 06:01
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Apparently I voted in this poll without commenting, which is something I hardly ever do. I'm not sure if I voted for Swans' Children of God or Guapo's Black Oni at the time, both are masterpieces in my opinion, as is the Talk Talk. My other faves are the Present, Cardiacs, and Thinking Plague. Definitely my favourite for quite some time would be Children of God. That is to me an amazing album, with plenty of contrast.   As uploaded by Swans to youtube, here is the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_m6Xu1PXQ8T-xG06qu5d2VlCItELtHIZpY

And here is a languorous and pretty little song off it sung by Jarboe:

It is one of my all-time favourite albums now. I adore it.

While it's the earliest Swans album that I would now recommend to those into more melodic and beautiful, after that over a few albums it gets more accessible from that music standpoint still, I think. Not recommending this to you Paul even if I think you would appreciate much of it due to your start to finish in the discography policy, but this is a live album from Swans (now out of print) from 1992 that covers some of the band's more accessible period. I think it's great. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHP7bAjOIkpDJcM5BQQzwuOTTuioW15-m

I bought my first album by the Swans today, just on the strength of your recommendation, but it sounds so different to what I expected, you'd think it was a different group entirely. I'd like to hear more of the Swans albums, If I Only Had Time. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 01 2022 at 06:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 04:33
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Apparently I voted in this poll without commenting, which is something I hardly ever do. I'm not sure if I voted for Swans' Children of God or Guapo's Black Oni at the time, both are masterpieces in my opinion, as is the Talk Talk. My other faves are the Present, Cardiacs, and Thinking Plague. Definitely my favourite for quite some time would be Children of God. That is to me an amazing album, with plenty of contrast.   As uploaded by Swans to youtube, here is the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_m6Xu1PXQ8T-xG06qu5d2VlCItELtHIZpY

While it's the earliest Swans album that I would now recommend to those into more melodic and beautiful, after that over a few albums it gets more accessible from that music standpoint still, I think. Not recommending this to you Paul even if I think you would appreciate much of it due to your start to finish in the discography policy, but this is a live album from Swans (now out of print) from 1992 that covers some of the band's more accessible period. I think it's great. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHP7bAjOIkpDJcM5BQQzwuOTTuioW15-m

It says "Video  Unavailable", but I clicked on your link and had a brief listen to some of the songs on Swans' Omniscience album, which certainly made a welcome change from the unlistenable songs on their first three albums. Smile
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 11:11
I'll vote for SB here, though there are many others that I also like very much.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 11:07
Lot of VG opus , Iq for me
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 10:44

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 10:03
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Some great albums here - it's Pendragon for me.

I voted for Mostly Autumn in every poll, although Pallas and Pendragon run a pretty close second. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 09:55
Some great albums here - it's Pendragon for me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 09:51
In Round Five it's another 'opeless 2-star effort from Opeth again I'm afraid, but okay I suppose if you like growling honey monster vocals. Talk Talk's final album is a big disappointment for me and makes their former status as masters of Synth-Pop a Laughing Stock. As per usual I've given the five Avant Prog albums (by the Cardiacs; Guapo; Present; Swans; & Thinking Plague) a wide berth again for obvious reasons. Other than that, this fifth album poll is a great line-up of mostly 4 & 5 star albums with Transatlantic's most recent album being their best so far, although all of the above comments are entirely a matter of subjective opinion and other opinions may vary. Wink

4 stars 2007: Big Big Train - The Difference Machine - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdktF-lL0yEaCzfMnRIWkz5eVAEkE4rBr
4 stars 2013: Riverside - Shrine of New Generation Slaves - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nLowSqagZGDI7LPuwUJGSysunIuJ_K1KI
3 stars 2000: Spock's Beard - V - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzrkYmu0NfM
4 stars 2020: Wobbler - Dwellers of the Deep - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B35JMG_5tbo

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 26 2022 at 09:54
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 21:46
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, and Porcupine Tree.
This.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 00:21
Anekdoten > DT > Wobbler >= PT
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2022 at 14:31
Can’t believe I’m voting against IQ again…..but Scenes From A Memory is a fantastic album!
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 12:10
Iq (as) Ever :-)
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 12:34
V
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 02:53
I've gone for IQ because I just think Ever is beautiful... but on another day it could have been either Spock's or Magenta from these selections....
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2022 at 03:50
Black Oni
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2022 at 07:55
First vote for The Absolute Universe?

That is my choice.
The Prog Corner
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2022 at 00:55
OUCH!

my knee jerk reaction is to vote Ever but I do love that Marillion album and believe it was an important milestone for neo prog. IQ caught up later.

Honorary mention for Magenta - Metamorphosis which tends to be a bit overlooked. I almost prefer it to Seven which is generally considered their best. My top 3 Magenta album would also contain the contain the recent We Are Legend. Excellent band who turn out consistently high quality albums.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 10:02
I voted against Wobbler, since I can't conceive it winning this poll. And I prefer DT's SFAM anyway.
felonafan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote felonafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 08:20
TFK "Space Revolver"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>