Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBUBU suggestion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: BUBU suggestion
    Posted: October 09 2005 at 17:02

HI, FIRENDS OF PROGARCHIVES, THIS IS CÉSAR INCA.

Well, I'd like to make a suggestion regarding BUBU's classification as a symphonic prog band in the Archives. I'm glad that their only spectacular album "Anabelas" has got an average 4.5 star grade, but it feels quite weird, after reading most of the reviews, that they be labelled as a "Symphonic Prog" band. 

According to the clarifying description of Jazz Rock / Fusion:
"This style fuses traditional jazz arrangements, instruments, and performance style with elements of progressive rock. The result is usually instrumental jazz-rock with a somewhat more technical and complex edge." BUBU's music couldn't be better described than this; that's why it feels more appropriate to label it as a band located in the Jazz Rock / Fusion side of prog, that's where they really belong, or at least, that's the most accurate label for them.

Kind regards.

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 11:09

The review I read of Bubu's 'Anabelas' on the 'ground and sky' site seemed to classify them as a RIO/avant-prog band.

Edited by lucas
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 11:48
Originally posted by Cesar Inca Cesar Inca wrote:

HI, FIRENDS OF PROGARCHIVES, THIS IS CÉSAR INCA.

Well, I'd like to make a suggestion regarding BUBU's classification as a symphonic prog band in the Archives. I'm glad that their only spectacular album "Anabelas" has got an average 4.5 star grade, but it feels quite weird, after reading most of the reviews, that they be labelled as a "Symphonic Prog" band. 

According to the clarifying description of Jazz Rock / Fusion:
"This style fuses traditional jazz arrangements, instruments, and performance style with elements of progressive rock. The result is usually instrumental jazz-rock with a somewhat more technical and complex edge." BUBU's music couldn't be better described than this; that's why it feels more appropriate to label it as a band located in the Jazz Rock / Fusion side of prog, that's where they really belong, or at least, that's the most accurate label for them.

Kind regards.

Tough one> When I hear Bubu, I hear Crimson and (a bit) VDGG and they are both also qualified as sympho rock (which does not satisfy me amd many other collabs , but we find no better category either)

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 12:30
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

The review I read of Bubu's 'Anabelas' on the 'ground and sky' site seemed to classify them as a RIO/avant-prog band.

Well, not really they just mentioned Univers Zéro as an influence, among others such as magma and King Crimson. But Sympho-prog seems to be the best label to classify them.

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 13:49

Hello again, friends.

The fact is that the dose of avant-garde jazz and avant-garde chamber BUBU's prog music is so big that they could hardly qualify as your average symphonic prog band. I fact, the aforementioned elements would even locate them closer to RIO than to symphonic. Yet, their sense of melody and rhythm is not as challenging as to be completely RIO. Most of their violin-sax-flute orchestrations remind me of early 70s Zappa. Well, it's onl a suggeston. All in all, the main ideas are in the reviews, not in the ratings or the classifications... as important as these are, of course.

Kind regards.

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2005 at 18:21

Is anyone doing anything with this???

Prog-Brazil View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 06:12
I think Bubu is Symphonic prog.. Their music ground is melodic, not improvised at all. 
Let the sunshine in
 Post Reply Post Reply