Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll - What’s Cookin' ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: What will you bring to our food fight?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [18.18%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [18.18%]
1 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [36.36%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 04:43
^ Great! Many thanks. And I will have some time this week-end to do some listening.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 06:00
DINNER IS SERVED !

Time to dig in and enjoy the feast.
Let the voting begin.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 07:02
thanks for the playlist, I will listen later and vote. Thumbs Up
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 07:26
George Elrick - I Like Bananas
Reminds me of the soundtrack to so many of the movies I remember seeing when I was a wee boy.

Editors - Sugar
Has an almost U2 vibe to it.

James Brown - Mother Popcorn
The godfather of soul puts his signature vocals and groove moves on full display.

David Lee Roth - Hot Dog and a Shake
On brand DLR rocker

The Tubes - Sushi Girl
Straight ahead rock tune, but not one of their best

Mary Coughlan - Ice Cream Man
Slow groover with an almost folkie vibe

The Mission - The Grapes of Wrath
A thoughtful ballad with a bit of a Springsteen/Meatloaf feel to it

Tony Joe White - Polk Salad Annie
Sixties style lite Rock N Roll tune

Fay Lovsky - Food Is The Enemy
Slow nightclub style tune with smokey female vocals

Yusuf / Cat Stevens - Was Dog A Doughnut
Seriously off brand tune that sounds more like something from Jan Hammer's Rock-it phase than a Cat Stevens tune.

Sting - Soul Cake
Folky tune with a little back woods groove to it.

Wow, so hard to choose. I know I'm not supposed to pick my own song submission but it is the one I like the best. However, in keeping with the spirit of the thread my vote goes to...

Editors - Sugar

Edited by JD - January 29 2022 at 07:28
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 07:43
^ You know you can eat more? We may choose three dishes (votes)! Tongue
(unless you decide we just have one vote, of course... which is not in our habits...)

Edited by suitkees - January 29 2022 at 07:45

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 08:31
In the interest of healthy eating this is a Single Course Meal.
One vote only. Plus, there aren't that many videos to choose from.

Edited by JD - January 29 2022 at 08:59
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 11:01
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Much thanks to Mila for putting together the last couple of playlists. But, since she is not in this one...

Video removed for space

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-zzvl_w6Fx4pXJSUEfsvDr1PY1C-XWxD

Thank you so very much, George!  Most appreciated!
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 11:01
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

In the interest of healthy eating this is a Single Course Meal.
One vote only. Plus, there aren't that many videos to choose from.

Well then, that DOES make it a lot harder, but so be it!  
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 14:44
I make an exception from the "no vote for what I already know" rule here. I know the "Was Dog a Doughnut" thing from long, long ago. I had totally forgotten about it, and also didn't remember at all that it's by Yusuf/C.S. But it's so wonderful, thanks for reminding me of it!

Honorary mentions: Sting (also knew that one, Sting is great), Editors, Food is the Enemy (how true!)

Edited by Lewian - January 29 2022 at 14:47
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 15:37
Polk salad Annie ... gator got your grannie.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 08:50
Tony Joe White - Polk Salad Annie
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 10:10
-Editors- Sugar.......never heard of this band...very interesting ..hypnotic...reminds me of Simple Minds meet Echo and the Bunnymen
-Sting-Soul Cake....not one of my favorite things by him but I have always liked his style of singing and he is unique
-James Brown-Mother Popcorn....grew up in the 60's hearing his songs on the radio ...never heard that one      though...but it's full of fun

Edited by dr wu23 - January 30 2022 at 10:11
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 11:11
Yesterday I was in a more rocking mood and I could have voted for Editors, David Lee Roth or The Tubes - all three nice tracks. But two songs just grabbed me a bit more today: Mary Coughlan's Ice Cream Man (instantly familiar; or maybe I did hear it before?) and Tony Joe White's Polk Salad Annie. I'll go with the latter, first of all because I prefer salads over ice cream, and secondly this one has that inexplicable magic that makes a song work.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 11:15
I've never heard Tony Joe White's Polk Salad Annie before this poll. I do know the song, sung by Elvis and Joe Dassin. LOL
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 11:43
I had not heard Polk Salad Annie, any version, as best I can recall. It gets my vote.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 12:32
After reviewing all, the one that wins for me is Cristi's entry.  Here is my snap review of it:

Editors “Sugar”  Here we get some heaviness, I always like those kind of whangy guitars and what a great voice!  Dark, yet sultry.  Has a sense of despair in it.  Sort of an almost Middle Easter vibe to the synths and guitars during the bridge.  Well produced. I like this one a lot, Cristi.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 12:36
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

After reviewing all, the one that wins for me is Cristi's entry.  Here is my snap review of it:

Editors “Sugar”  Here we get some heaviness, I always like those kind of whangy guitars and what a great voice!  Dark, yet sultry.  Has a sense of despair in it.  Sort of an almost Middle Easter vibe to the synths and guitars during the bridge.  Well produced. I like this one a lot, Cristi.

Glad you liked it, I found out about this band when they opened for The Cure a few years ago. Pleasantly surprised, been listening to them every now and then. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 13:27
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Glad you liked it, I found out about this band when they opened for The Cure a few years ago. Pleasantly surprised, been listening to them every now and then. 
  I really like that dark kinda stuff a lot.  Smile
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2022 at 11:29

Unfortunately I missed this poll but I will for sure listen to the songs, because I'm always hungry! LOL

I'll allow myself on this occasion to inform those among you who haven't read my post in the team thread, that there is a new poll, this time it is about all kind of acoustic music, incl. less-known prog bands. You are most welcome to join us! Smile

Edited by Mila-13 - January 31 2022 at 11:30
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2022 at 11:36
Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

Unfortunately I missed this poll but I will for sure listen to the songs, because I'm always hungry! LOL

I'll allow myself on this occasion to inform those among you who haven't read my post in the team thread, that there is a new poll, this time it is about all kind of acoustic music, incl. less-known prog bands. You are most welcome to join us! Smile

You can vote your fave song, if you want.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - January 31 2022 at 12:49
"Happiness is real only when shared"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>