Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Song in Top Twenty Genesis Songs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What is your favorite of these songs?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [13.68%]
25 [13.16%]
15 [7.89%]
16 [8.42%]
1 [0.53%]
13 [6.84%]
12 [6.32%]
11 [5.79%]
10 [5.26%]
9 [4.74%]
9 [4.74%]
4 [2.11%]
5 [2.63%]
9 [4.74%]
7 [3.68%]
5 [2.63%]
3 [1.58%]
6 [3.16%]
4 [2.11%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Song in Top Twenty Genesis Songs?
    Posted: January 23 2022 at 11:49
Credit to Cristi for saying that the list deserved a poll. It will be multiple choice. 

The list's top 3 might be my top three as well. I love those songs.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 11:51
not more than three choices though (IMO)

Thanks for making the poll. Thumbs Up
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 12:14
Not an easy choice. Supper's Ready, The Musical Box, Firth of Fifth top the charts, almost equally, and the rest are very cose behind. It'll take me a while to decide.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 12:18
I wish people would leave a comment after they vote, post their choice(s). 
DayDawnsDark View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayDawnsDark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 12:53
The Musical Box and The Knife.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 13:02
Firth of Fifth
The Musical Box
Blood on the Rooftops
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 13:09
it’s interesting that the bottom half of the table still has no votes,

Mine were for Watcher, Can and Knight. Not my top three Genesis songs, perhaps, but I think my favourite three from this list. 🤔

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 13:11
Supper's Ready, Firth of Fifth, and Duke's Travels.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 14:10
The Musical Box, One for the Vine, and Duke’s Travels.

The first one is the epitome of English storytelling, an incredible achievement for a bunch of young men barely out of school.

The second is fantastic musically, but, thinking about it at the age of 57, has probably had more of an influence on me politically than more nakedly political works, such as much of Animals. I am very much of the school which professes deep suspicion of the motives of leaders and the fact that many, no matter how noble their initial motives, find themselves sucked in by the system and become the very thing they professed to hate.

Duke’s Travels is simply a riot, a massive celebration of a band refusing to give up the ghost and creating the archetypal wall of sound, in complete opposition to much of the music which was popular at the time. And no, it wasn’t bloody neo-progLOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 14:30
Can-Utility and the Coastliners - A mini-epic that surpasses many of the band's long drawn-out compositions. Great bit of myth-telling and musical shifts.

Dance on a Volcano - The new sound of Genesis, or at least that's what it seemed like in 1976. The delivery is stellar.

Blood on the Rooftops -- The swan song of Steve Hackett. Genesis changed more drastically with Hackett gone than when Gabriel left. Very, very English in the storytelling and general disposition.

Edited by The Dark Elf - January 23 2022 at 14:31
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 14:40
This was NOT easy.
Firth of Fifth a smidge ahead of Supper's Ready, and Blood on the Rooftops (for that guitar intro alone).
I'll probably change my mind tomorrow . . 
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 15:03
Dancing with the Moonlit Knight - Watcher of the Skies - Hogweed, followed by Cinema Show, Knife, Volcano & Supper's Ready
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 15:08
Gonna go with an underdog here and pick Mad Man Moon, which actually is my favorite Genesis song. Such a beautiful track, and the piano passages are some of the finest work from Tony Banks; plus, the bridge section is one of my favorite moments in general by the band

Then Supper's Ready would be my runner-up Smile
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 15:23
Supper's Ready
The Cinema Show
11th Earl of Mar
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 15:25
Supper's Ready is probably my prog's favourite.
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 17:13
can't say this about many polls but I love all these songs---but voted Suppers Ready---an amazing 25 plus minute achievement

Edited by twosteves - January 23 2022 at 19:26
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 18:05
I'll pick one with Peter and one with Phil on vocals: Watcher Of The Skies, with that larger-than-life organ intro (of course, there's so much more in it), and Blood On The Rooftops, because of its amazing lyrics and melody, and the charming guitar intro.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 20:30
I was thinking I would have a hard time choosing between these, but since it was to choose 3 options, I can go with Supper's Ready, Firth of Fifth, and Dancing with the Moolit Knight.
bender99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bender99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 20:37
I picked a top 3. Cinema Show, Firth of Fifth, and One For The Vine.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 21:16
Supper's Ready.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>