Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5 favorite artists (regardless of genre)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 16:19
Can
Soft Machine
Pink Floyd
The Fall
Magma

Edited by HolyMoly - April 09 2022 at 16:20
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2022 at 10:34
I'm sticking with music that I at least consider to be rock-related in its way. These are just the first to spring to mind.

Five favourite bands in PA:

Swans
Art Zoyd
Can
Magma
Tangerine Dream

(bonus: Cardiacs and VdGG)

Five favourite bands not in PA:

Portishead
Mandingo
Stereolab
Pram
Broadcast

(bonus: Air, Boards of Canada, Vanishing Twin)

Five favourite artists included in PA:

Robert Wyatt
Igor Wakhevitch
David Bowie
Herbie Hancock
Miles Davis

(bonus: Klaus Schulze and Peter Hammill)

Five favourite artists not included in PA:

Ennio Morricone
Egisto Macchi
Nick Drake
Janko Nilovic
Buffy Sainte-Marie

(bonus: Julia Holter and Cat Stevens)
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2022 at 15:22
1. Steve Reich
2. Nena
3. Iannis Xenakis
4. Louis Andriessen
5. Frank Zappa
Ermm

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2022 at 15:06
1. Frank Zappa/Mothers
2. The Beatles
3. Steely Dan
4. Black Sabbath
5. Slayer

I guess? I tend to think in terms of favorite albums more than artists to be honest.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2022 at 03:05
 Number One is easy. Nothing comes close to my love for David Bowie.

1. David Bowie

The remaining four places? I’m really not sure there are any firm favourites that would indisputably sit there, and it really probably would change depending on time and place, and simply how I’m feeling. But if I go purely by those who I have kept returning to over the years, and who I still listen to often, I guess the following would have to fight it out:

Alice In Chains
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
King Crimson
Iggy Pop
Queen
Lou Reed
Tool
Neil Young

I guess that makes an unordered top ten? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤪

(Until I realise I’ve missed someone out….)

tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2022 at 00:02
Pink Floyd
Genesis
Elton John
Tangerine Dream
Yes
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 17:37
I couldn’t possibly. I am delighted to see Bowie and Ultravox in here though.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 16:56
1. Genesis
2. Ultravox
3. Pink Floyd
4. Cat Stevens
5. Soundgarden
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 13:46
Not 100% sure about it, but (in no specific order):

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
The Beatles
David Bowie
Sebastian (Danish singer/songwriter)
Can

Edited by The Anders - February 08 2022 at 14:32
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 13:09
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

in no specific order:

Magma
Van der Graaf Generator/Peter Hammill
Barbara Dennerlein
Hawkwind
Mylčne Farmer. for those who don't know her: her live shows and videos are absolutely insane; the videos are often highly erotic (with occasional full nudity), extremely violent or bizarrely surreal; sometimes all three of these.

since probably only very few know Mylčne Farmer (though she is an absolute superstar in France) here 3 videos of her. the first is the intro to her 2000 tour which was wittily named "Mylčnium Tour". the second is a very personal and emotionally extremely powerful song about the death of her father from that same tour. for those who don't speak French I chose a version with English subtitles; the translation leaves a lot to be desired but is accurate enough to give you an idea what the song is about. the 3rd one is one of her surreal ones with some violence in it too

Thanks so much, Jean, for the introduction to Mylčne! I am LOVING her videos--especially of that 2000 concert/tour. Wow, would I have liked to have been there! Looks as powerful as a Cirque du soleil or Adiemus concert/performance! I love the way every single person in the huge audience knows every word of her songs--and sings at the top of their voices along with her! (Like a Anavitória concert!)

Edited by BrufordFreak - February 08 2022 at 13:12
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 07:41
Yes
Genesis
Iron Maiden
Guided By Voices  
XTC
The Prog Corner
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2022 at 12:11
Beethoven
Handel
Symphony X
Bruce Dickinson (solo career)
The Prodigy
jess.fin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jess.fin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2022 at 06:05
The Weekend 
Passion Pit
Kid Cudi
Kanye West 
The Smashing Pumpkins
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2022 at 11:32
Echolyn......dredg.....Consider the Source.....PFM.......Riverside
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2022 at 11:15
in no specific order:

Magma
Van der Graaf Generator/Peter Hammill
Barbara Dennerlein
Hawkwind
Mylčne Farmer. for those who don't know her: her live shows and videos are absolutely insane; the videos are often highly erotic (with occasional full nudity), extremely violent or bizarrely surreal; sometimes all three of these.

since probably only very few know Mylčne Farmer (though she is an absolute superstar in France) here 3 videos of her. the first is the intro to her 2000 tour which was wittily named "Mylčnium Tour". the second is a very personal and emotionally extremely powerful song about the death of her father from that same tour. for those who don't speak French I chose a version with English subtitles; the translation leaves a lot to be desired but is accurate enough to give you an idea what the song is about. the 3rd one is one of her surreal ones with some violence in it too

Edited by BaldJean - January 27 2022 at 10:13

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Philchem8 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philchem8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2022 at 11:10
Top 5 of any music genre? Tough one. As much as rock music in its various forms is my preferred type of music overall, my ultimate two favorite artists are a pair of old-time folk poets from France, George Brassens and Jean Ferrat (likely unknown by non-French-speaking ProgArchives members) followed by Genesis, The Beatles and tied in 5th place, King Crimson and Procol Harum (particularly the earlier phases of these bands).          
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2022 at 11:06
Prog:

Yes
Rush
Genesis
King Crimson
Pink Floyd

Non prog:

The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
U2
REM
The Who
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2022 at 10:37
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

What I don't hope is that the major part of people's 5 most favourite artists should be non-Prog.

so what if it is, non-prog can be a lot of good things such as blues, jazz, rock, metal, classical music and many others. 

Okay, I'm not greedy. Progressive Rock has got much more popular the last 20 years, so I can't complain. Smile
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2022 at 09:38
1. Triumvirat
2. Gustav Mahler
3. Anton Bruckner
4. Giger Lenz Marron
5. Dzyan
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2022 at 09:35
1. Yes
2. Genesis
3. Saga
4. Moody Blues
5. Alan Parsons Project 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>