Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The NEW (old) ASIA ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The NEW (old) ASIA ???
    Posted: February 01 2022 at 15:26
What do you think?
My biggest issue with any iteration of ASIA is that they don't really play around with the tunes. they need more of the prog extravaganza approach with more improv's. Make Heat of the Moment a 9 minute tune. That sort of thing. I think Mark Bonilla will be a good addition, I'm torn on Billy Sherwood. Would have preferred Tony Levin or Geddy Lee although I'm not overly familiar with his contribution.

Edited by JD - February 01 2022 at 15:31
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 16:04
Tony Levin or Geddy Lee? Why would they join Asia? Confused
Not interested in this line-up. Downes has been uninspired for quite a while. 
He shouldn't have got rid of John Payne and that line-up so... easily, unexpectedly and out of the blue, after that long and I dare say fruitful collaboration. He collaborated with a lot of great musicians in that era, now he's got Sherwood... 🤦‍♂️. 
I listened to Bonilla in some collaboration with Keith Emerson but I don't remember much, which means I didn't find it that memorable or it would have stayed with me... 

They should lay Asia to rest, but I guess they got contracts and bills to pay... 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 16:07
Any Asia is a yawn inducing Asia. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 16:51
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

What do you think?
My biggest issue with any iteration of ASIA is that they don't really play around with the tunes. they need more of the prog extravaganza approach with more improv's. Make Heat of the Moment a 9 minute tune. That sort of thing. I think Mark Bonilla will be a good addition, I'm torn on Billy Sherwood. Would have preferred Tony Levin or Geddy Lee although I'm not overly familiar with his contribution.

Not a fan of Sherwood, I think from a prog perspective he's a bit over rated. I don't think Geddy is ready for anything like this yet, if they were to go on tour 99% of the audience would be screaming for them to play Tom Sawyer.
Tony Levin would be a good one.

I was a big Asia fan back in the day, those first couple albums are excellent, I still spin them...
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 16:52
I agree.  Downes is not inspired. I'd prefer Levin to Sherwood. Lee would be dreamy.  Yeah, I'd like progressive improvs.  

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 17:35
I really, really hope they do something interesting this time around.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 17:56
They’re messing around with my nostalgia again. Is it going to sound like Asia? I feel like that ship has sailed. But, what the heck. Never say never! I’ll listen.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 18:39
Asia is a brand. While I enjoy much of their music, they do not have much of a reason to mix the songs up, especially with only two original members. Bonilla and Sherwood will do just fine.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 19:07
have no idea what Downes is thinking he is totally uninspired for years---Yes sucks with him and Sherwood so of course tour with Asia---he's clueless. I mean the success of the original line-up a few years ago would have been a happy ending.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 22:48
Interesting timing....let Asia rest in peace.  A friend of mine wrote this nice eulogy to John Wetton...

Remembering JOHN WETTON on the 5th anniversary of his death..(January 31)

Born John Kenneth Wetton - Willington, Derby, England (12 June 1949 - 31 January 2017).

Bassist, vocalist, songwriter: Mogul Thrash (1971), Family (1971-72), KING CRIMSON (1972-74), ROXY MUSIC (1974-75), URIAH HEEP (1975-76), UK (1977-80 & 2011-15), Jack-Knife (1979), solo, Wishbone Ash (1981), ASIA (1981–83, 1984–86, 1989–91 & 2006–16), Wetton / Downes (2003-09).

One of the very best. Not only as a singing bass player. But a progressive rock icon recording/touring with several heavyweight bands and recording numerous milestone albums.

Plus sessions with the likes of Gordon Haskell, Peter Banks, Bryan Ferry, Brian Eno, Phil Manzanera, Roger Chapman, Eddie Jobson, Steve Hackett, Renaissance, ...

He also released six solo studio albums and several live ones.

In August 2015, Wetton announced on Twitter that he was starting chemotherapy for an undisclosed form of cancer. Wetton died in his sleep at a hospice in Bournemouth, Dorset on 31 January 2017, from colon cancer.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 00:20
I like Asia. The first couple of albums are still played pretty regularly, and the comeback albums were by no means that bad.

I will not, however, watch them in the absence of Wetton and Howe. I really cannot see the point, but good luck to them. Why would they bother listening to the likes of me if they can make a few bucks?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 00:32
Marc is a very talented guy both as a guitarist and singer. He did a lot of good stuff with Emerson and has all the chops needed for this stuff. If they stick to mainly the debut and Phoenix then I'd love to catch them at some point. Also give some credit to Carl, now in his seventies but there are few guys out there even with 50 years on him that are better!
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 04:37
Are we still talking about the continent? It sure does have a lot of peninsulas.

Edited by progaardvark - February 02 2022 at 04:37
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cinema View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cinema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 08:12
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Any Asia is a yawn inducing Asia. 

Amen to that.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 19:03
I hope they make more Indiana Jones videos!
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 08:20
Why isn't Howe playing? That would make it more interesting and worth it, but no Howe and Wetton is hardly Asia.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 08:28
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Why isn't Howe playing? That would make it more interesting and worth it, but no Howe and Wetton is hardly Asia.

Steve Howe left Asia three times. He's played on 6 of their albums. Asia have released 12 albums. Howe is playing only in half of them (and on Aqua he is not even the main guitarist, he played some acoustic guitars here and there). 

The Payne era Asia deserves more respect, or at least i don't know why it's so ignored and forgotten about. I think the songwriting on some of those albums is great. Downes has chosen to work with some great players during those times. 
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 12:18
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

The Payne era Asia deserves more respect, or at least i don't know why it's so ignored and forgotten about. I think the songwriting on some of those albums is great. Downes has chosen to work with some great players during those times. 

Why doesn't the Payne era receive more respect? Let's keep it simple:

John Wetton is one of the greatest rock vocalists EVER.

John Payne is a downright horrible vocalist, who I'm convinced was only brought on board in 1992 because he sounded like every other second-rate metal vocalist on MTV at the time. Believe me, I really wanted to like him because I loved the band and wanted them to stay active in the marketplace, but his performance on Aqua drove me away until Wetton returned. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 12:21
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Why doesn't the Payne era receive more respect? Let's keep it simple:

John Wetton is one of the greatest rock vocalists EVER.

John Payne is a downright horrible vocalist, who I'm convinced was only brought on board in 1992 because he sounded like every other second-rate metal vocalist on MTV at the time. Believe me, I really wanted to like him because I loved the band and wanted them to stay active in the marketplace, but his performance on Aqua drove me away until Wetton returned. 

That's fine, I understand.
It's just my opinion that the Payne era is underrated, underappreciated. 
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 12:51
Surely Aqua is not their best (rather far from it), but in Silent Nation I think they shine, and Payne's singing is part of it (no competitor for Wetton, anyway, but to whom fit that shoes?)

Edited by Heart of the Matter - February 04 2022 at 12:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>