Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pavlov's Dog vs Strawbs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which song do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [17.86%]
20 [71.43%]
2 [7.14%]
1 [3.57%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pavlov's Dog vs Strawbs
    Posted: February 07 2022 at 15:41
Two songs that I think are mega prog classics. Usually I would have a "I'm not familiar..." option but this time I decided to include videos so there's no excuse not to listen to them in case you knew one but not the other.  Which one do you prefer?

Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 16:14
I like both bands (though Strawbs much more so), but wouldn't put either of those songs as top or significant by those bands. Glad though to see these lesser-mentioned groups celebrated.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 16:18
Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

I like both bands (though Strawbs much more so), but wouldn't put either of those songs as top or significant by those bands. Glad though to see these lesser-mentioned groups celebrated.

Agree to disagree. I think other than "Julia" the one I listed is one of their best and most well known (difficult to say since they didn't really have any hit singles). As for Strawbs this particular track was mentioned by All Music as something like as good an example of the progressive rock genre ever made (not an exact quote but something like that). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 07 2022 at 17:39
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 16:18
Pavlov's Dog 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 16:30
Instrumentally Pavlov's Dog is more interesting, but I will never get past the vocals. Sick

Strawbs.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 16:41
Down By the Sea. I like both though, but the Strawbs did a fine job here.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 23:20
first time hearing the Pavolv's Dog song and it's very good.  Jillionth time hearing the Strawbs song and it's great.  It's generally regarded as in their top 10, and one of only a handful of epics that they did, being as much a folk rock band as a prog band.  So Strawbs
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 00:13
One of the most overrated bands ever to me, Pavlov's Dog
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 03:05
I like to see some more love to these two bands. I love particularly Strawbs, but I also love  Pavlov's Dog, especially their debut album.
About the tracks, great choice. Both are amazing tracks. Did You See Him Cry? is the best and most prog track on At The Sound Of The Bell and Down By The Sea of Strawbs is one of the best tracks on Bursting At The Seams.
So, since I love both, I vote, both equally.

Edited by VianaProghead - February 08 2022 at 03:05
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 03:16
Listening to Pavlov's Dog again brings to mind obvious comparisons with Budgie and Rush. Smile
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 04:25
The Pavlov's Dog track is pretty good, but that Strawbs track is an absolute monster and epitomises everything that makes prog great. It's a great doom-laden epic.
Bursting at the Seams is a real mixed bag, but when it's good, it's amazing. And the opening riff has been copied by several other bands, most notably Metallica on Welcome Home (Sanitarium), though some think Bleak House ripped it off Strawbs and Metallica ripped it from them.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 15:34
That PD track is from their 2nd album, which is the weakest (and poppiest) of the first three.

Their first album is by far their strongest, and proggiest too.

Their third album "Has Anyone Seen Siegfried?" was officially remastered and released in recent years, and is stronger also than the 2nd album.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2022 at 09:36
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Listening to Pavlov's Dog again brings to mind obvious comparisons with Budgie and Rush. Smile

I was thinking how the singer sounded like Geddy Lee.

In the song we are evaluating, they did a very good production job with his voice so I don't mind it at all but I could see where it could get grating
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2022 at 13:48
I've always thought prog fans to be very open-minded, but have been surprised for decades how people have problems with David Surkamp's singing. It shouldn't be that hard to listen to, unless you want to make it a huge problem (I certainly don't). I find it compliments and suits the music, giving it a unique touch and sound on par with any distinguishing instrument (like a distinctive guitarist or keyboard player). Hey, you never have any doubt it's them, and I think that's a good thing.

The tendency of his voice to quiver a bit is most prominent on the first album, and is tamped down on the second, and even more so on the third and fourth. If it's such life-threatening matter, just stick with the third and fourth albums. Or better, overcome your limitations and fully embrace the earlier material, including their awesome debut "Pampered Menial". BTW, on "Has Anyone Seen Siegfried" (3rd), guitarist Scorfina sings lead on one song, so you get an alternative.

It should also be pointed out that the first album has violin on it, and most of the others don't. They really lost a big element of their original sound when Siegfried left.

Edited by Boojieboy - February 09 2022 at 14:03
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2022 at 13:51
^ the debut is their best work IMO Tongue
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2022 at 13:54
I think I initially preferred the second because it does sound like he toned down the shrill and falsetto a bit there. I still think the second as the more prog sounding tracks but over all the first one is more squarely in the art rock/ symph genre because of the prominent use of mellotron (which doesn't appear as much on ATSOTB). They are both very good imo. 

As a sidenote I actually spoke to someone on the phone once (an ex of my cousin who was from St. Louis) who knew David Surkamp personally and he told me he didn't sing falsetto and that was his natural voice. I don't personally believe that but I don't think there's anything wrong with falsetto anyway. At the time I believed what this guy told me though but after hearing him speak on youtube in interviews it seems extremely unlikely that is not falsetto. His speaking voice is lower than Jon Anderson's for crying out loud. LOL

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 09 2022 at 13:59
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2022 at 01:32
Strawbs
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 11:37
I would pick Strawbs, even if it was one of their lesser tracks.

Edited by SteveG - July 11 2022 at 11:38
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 11:54
It's not the usual Pavlovian response expected of me, as I'm breaking with tradition this time by voting for Pavlov's Dog. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 11 2022 at 22:04
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 14:05
Strawbs , an all time fav'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>