Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Six Swans songs from 1987 to 1996

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: If you have a preference, which of these songs do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [27.27%]
1 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [18.18%]
3 [27.27%]
2 [18.18%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Six Swans songs from 1987 to 1996
    Posted: February 08 2022 at 19:38
I have avoided long tracks for this poll and have kept the list quite short for those who wish to check music out. These are six Swans tracks off various albums from the period of 1987 to 1996. Sorry if your favourites are not on this list from this period and for not covering other albums. I really fell for Swans when I first heard "Helpless Child" from Soundtracks for the Blind.

"Children of God"

"God Damn the Sun"

"Better Than You"

"Blind"*

"Mind/Body/Light/Sound"

"All Lined Up"

*Blind is a bonus track on a CD re-issue of White Light From the Mouth of Infinity and was originally off Michael Gira's Drainland.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 20:07
I find “Blind” very moving.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 20:27
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I find “Blind” very moving.

I really love it and it moves me too. It's one of my very favourite songs.

For my mood du jour, however, I'll give a vote to "Mind/Body/Light/Sound". The Great Annihilator has been my main squeeze album of the day.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 21:02
Meh. 

I guess All Lined Up or Goddamn The Sun. 

I'll go the former. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2022 at 03:38
Difficult to choose, but ultimately "God Damn the Sun" for me, with "Blind" and "Better Than You" the runners-up.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2022 at 06:16
Blind gets the nod.
The crying baby at the beginning of Better Than You hits too close to home.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2022 at 12:34
Mind/Body/Light/Sound. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2022 at 14:37
I'm a big fan of the last four Swans albums from the 2010s, but their earlier discography is hit and miss for me. Children of God and Soundtracks for the Blind are probably their best albums of the earlier ones. All Lined Up beats Children of God here, but not by much.

Edited by Lewian - February 09 2022 at 14:38
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2022 at 17:47
I still haven't heard the 2010 album. I have heard The Seer, To Be Kind and The Glowing Man from the 2010s, and it's been quite a while since I listened to any of those in full (I surely appreciated them). And I still don't know the pre-Children of God albums well (will stream Filth soon). Of those I know, I have tended to think of Soundtracks for the Blind as the masterpiece, but I am most into The Great Annihilator now, which is a pretty new album to me. I love it throughout. Playing it again and "Killing for Company" has just come on. So good to these ears. It may be one of their most accessible albums, but I really like it, and I like the diversity in it (as I like the diversity of Swans generally). I understand it being hit or miss for someone, but in a way I like that inconsistency. I might do a poll on later Swans or one that includes later and earlier Swans.... I had thought about doing one on the ten minute plus tracks, so then later Swans would be very represented. Or just a Swans album poll or appreciation topic without poll maybe. I've been really enjoying digging into Swans more deeply of late.

Edited by Logan - February 09 2022 at 17:51
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2022 at 23:48
Children of God for me - but most everything regarding Swans from that album and onwards is either a masterpiece or pretty darn good.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2022 at 11:25
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Mind/Body/Light/Sound. 

Same.
 Post Reply Post Reply