Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What does anyone hear in Porcupine Tree?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does anyone hear in Porcupine Tree?
    Posted: July 06 2022 at 13:37
It’s PROGRESSIVE ROCK TO ME
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2022 at 13:47
Radiohead never did anything to me either, even though SW gets a lot of inspiration from them. PT feels more accessible, is has more uplifting and varied songs while Radiohead was a lot more depressive for my tastes lol
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 12:22
^Never said it was a problem. Most replies are from PT fans. Haven't seen any posts from PT newbies. I just find it funny, that's all. K?
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 12:08
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

The OP's last post was over a month ago. Yet, we carry on??

Why is this a problem? An exchange about how we listen to PT may interest a lot of people regardless of the OP.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 11:17
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

well, they morph into chat rooms after a while don't they?

er, what was the question again?

ten past three! LOL
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 11:04
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 10:47
I like PT very much but I have enjoyed their later albums more (until The Incident, which I like, but don't love). I think they are all great from around Stupid Dream onwards and Deadwing is an out and out masterpiece. That said, unlike Greg above, I suppose I come to PT from a more 'Riverside - Anathema - Wolverine' direction... regrettably, Radiohead never did anything for me whatsoever... 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 10:37
I haven't managed to really get into any Porcupine Tree yet (I have listened to early albums) and the later In Absentia and Deadwing I have owned. I'm sure I could and I don't really want to get into it. I have come to appreciate Steven Wilson solo more.

I love lost of acts that draw on Pink Floyd and Krautrock. Many of my favourite post 70s bands drew on Krautrock (and are of the Neo Psych ilk). Radiohead didn't really get me in a big way until I heard A Moon Shaped Pool. Some other "contemporaries" of Radiohead that I love which draw on Krautrock include Portishead and Stereolab (things like Pram, Broadcast and Vanishing Twin also fall into this).

At this site Porcupine Tree has been massively acclaimed. It gets mentioned more than Radiohead (well, not by me) and other older ones that are still going and making acclaimed music such as Swans.

Radiohead has struck me as more experimental and interesting than Porcupine Tree. Anyway, whether either is that original, I just much prefer the likes of Radiohead, Portishead, Stereolab, Pram, Broadcast, Vanishing Twin and a thousand others that have retro qualities / reference music of the past. Sorry for name-dropping. ;) And not adding anything really substantive to the conversation.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 02:46
I love the early IDM meets psych albums of PT. The original Up The Downstair with the electronic beats is wonderful and doesn’t really sound like anything else. The following psych, artrock and slightly Krautrock-like albums are my faves.
Sure there are some clear nods to Floyd and later on with his solo efforts to King Crimson and such…but I can always hear it when I’m listening to something from Steve Wilson…and that is rare in modern music.

Putting a group like Radiohead under the same microscope and we effectively end up at yet another band which has taken a good deal of Floyd and a lot of what the Krautrock innovators did during the 70s..and effectively created their sound. Now I love Radiohead..but they were pretty much doing the exact same thing as Steven did with PT. Only real difference? The latter is today heralded as one of the most original rock bands of the past 25 years
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 20:06
Beaver And Krause released an album titled In A Wild Sanctuary and it demonstrated to me...how Electronic Music, Jazz, Blues, Space Rock, and Classical could be ultimately fused to form a new kind of instrumental Rock. Is it Progressive Rock? It could be labeled as such...because it contains all the elements to be just that. A very old Art Rock album that contained unorthodox recording methods.

Unorthodox recording methods used to be part of the game until technology replaced the efforts recorded on tape by real innovators with sampled sounds. 😃 Jade Warrior used to wet bath towels and slap them against a wall..creating a strange affect for their music.

On Godley And Creme Consequences there are unorthodox recording methods. Technology took the fun away. It was something musicians in Progressive Rock experimented with. The sound effects were tied in with the theme of the album such as Pink Floyd Meddle. Musicians used recording equipment outdoors to record the sound of nature or inside a bathroom to record a toilet flushing.

Spreading cat litter on the head of a Kettle drum and slamming the drum head with mallets produces the sound of fireworks.

This whole concept existed in Prog and Electronic for many years. It seemed like a creative aspect to the music. The idea to add special effects to a theatrical Progressive Rock piece exists today. It's in the music of Solaris and Goblin. Patricia Dallio or Art Zoyd.

It used to be part of experimentation because you had to physically be at the beach to record the ocean. It seemed to me that a lot of musicians were experimenting with music and coloring sounds around a theme. Many of them were working together to form a work of art. Those were the times we were living in when the ideas first surfaced for combining Classical, Folk, and Jazz to create Progressive Rock.

It was an odd and bizarre experience that really enhanced the music. It's ancient fossil

Edited by Jacob Schoolcraft - March 13 2022 at 20:09
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2022 at 06:21
Originally posted by Canterbury23 Canterbury23 wrote:

As a 19 year old Prog fan who got into the genre with the 70s classics it's been interesting dipping my toe into Modern Prog. I enjoy most of the Technical Death Metal and Mathcore albums I've heard but Prog Metal itself is one of my least favorite metal subgenres and bands like Opeth and Dream Theater bore me(I've heard around 4 albums by each band) and I can hear when they are obviously ripping off an old band but there not even the worst offenders.
 I've had Porcupine Tree/ Steven Wilson's solo work recommended to me a lot and when I've checked it out I've found it very underwhelming and unprogressive. With Early PT it sounds like there ripping off Early Pink Floyd with a hint of Beatlesque pop but at least these albums aren't overrated or anything. But with this bands release in the 2000s I get even more frustrated. A lot of their songs follow a set formula with alt rock influences and poppy choruses followed by some "Prog Metal" riffs and the production sounds way too clean to the point that it lacks any meat to it. The long songs lack any interesting structures and get buried under long ambient sections. It's obvious that Steven Wilson was trying to be the next Pink Floyd/King Crimson and failing miserably. His solo work gets even more derivative and many songs sound like imitations of early Genesis and King Crimson and the Canterbury scene. I'm not trying to criticize Modern Prog or it's musicians just that I have little interest in it, I like bands like Tool and Primus that have clear Prog influences but don't try to sound like or harken back to the 70s and as a result they often aren't called Prog which I think isn't a bad thing, bands that are called Neoprog often sound a bit dull to my ears like they lack an artistic edge.the new British Art Rock/Post-Punk bands I've been really enjoying such as black midi and Black Country, New Road and I feel like there going for a unique style that has influences from Prog without repeating it. Overall what I'm saying is that Progressive Rock had such an amazing run in the early 70s that maybe it's ok that we leave it there and expand on the ideas that inspired them without copying there music.

This is a GREAT assessment of PT--and one very close to my own. 

The recent PT "Top 7 Albums" poll has also helped me to realize that there is much about PT that underwhelms and/or bores me--leaves me totally uninterested. Great musicianship, often cool soundscapes, but music that often feels borrowed and underdeveloped! 

Thanks for starting this thread, Joshua!

Edited by BrufordFreak - March 12 2022 at 06:22
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2022 at 05:41

Overall what I'm saying is that Progressive Rock had such an amazing run in the early 70s that maybe it's ok that we leave it there and expand on the ideas that inspired them without copying there music.

Hi,

I do not subscribe to this theory at all ... the 70's had a way for a lot of this music to get played that was not owned by the corporate rapists, and it was free form for many years, with a lot of DJ's playing their own thing.

Today, it is all recorded by some high level company, that owns the whole thing is simply masticating money out of the same songs over and over, and we are all too stupid to put a stop to it and kill the listenership of those stations ... we still put them on in the background and then go ... such a nice song!

Music never died. Music will NEVER DIE. Music with CONTINUE TO LIVE FOREVER. But we are too short sighted to accept that towards the 80's this music lost one of its most valued supporters ... radio (specially America) that was free and far out.

When you compare this to today, there is a lot on the Internet that could rival those early days of FM radio, however, we don't see that, and we don't listen, or care for many of those shows, because they are not ranked/rated top some crap or other for us to hear music. And no one gives a sh*t that things like one show STILL plays new material after 48 years and so many insulting moments in various stations as to why that silly guy never became rich and sucked up to the money, like most of us do and did!

It is a horrible insensitive side of the whole thing here that we think the music died ... the only thing that died was the media telling you drugs were bad (they said they were worse and look at the left overs!!!), or that flowers in your hair was stupid and you wouldn't do it stoned, drunk or anywhere else!

We stopped believing in OURSELVES. Instead we believe a top this or that and CONTINUALLY support a system that is designed by commercial interests for their own interest. 

And then we say that things died .... to me this is such an insult to all the artists ... and the folks to whom it was all more important than a f**king radio station now owned by Texaco!

As Jim Morrison screamed ... WAKE UP ... HAS THIS DREAM STOPPED? And we still think he was just drunk and ripped! We don't listen, and we don't care and it's all about some lyrics that have very little meaning and art in them!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2022 at 13:55

Overall what I'm saying is that Progressive Rock had such an amazing run in the early 70s that maybe it's ok that we leave it there and expand on the ideas that inspired them without copying there music.

As I see it, it's easy to say but certainly not easy to do, and if it has to be done really successfully, it requires particularly good times which are surely not present nowadays. So it's more constructive to lower the expectations - but it's of course very good if some musicians make a try. Smile

Edited by David_D - March 12 2022 at 03:46
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2022 at 20:20
As a teenager in the early 70s I recall Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, and ELP were influenced by different Classical composers...which separated them from each other and as an end result having more originality.

In the 80s several of the European underground Progressive Rock bands were inspired by the "Big 5 or 6..but still seemed to be interesting and released important albums that actually differed from some of the composition and formula used by the "big 5..

In the U.S....Happy The Man who were also influenced by bands like Gentle Giant and early Genesis to degrees actually had their own distinctive sound /style.

As time progressed we entered into the Neo Prog movement...which several of these bands turned out to be interesting..however a certain percentage of them sounded like copy cats of the 70s Prog bands in the modern age.

My thoughts on this are mixed and undecided to draw solid conclusions as to why Neo Prog bands would pursue that role playing game ..when in fact they didn't have to indulge in a imitation of 70s Prog and could have sounded more original.

Genesis, King Crimson and Yes..( for example) didn't want to sound alike . They had no reason to be concerned over that because each band was influenced by a different composer.

It's possible that this concept of separation in originality and sound was achieved through that process. It's possible that if the Neo Prog bands that sounded too emulating of the 70s bands had focused on other composers they would have sounded more original as opposed to repeating a formula

Edited by Jacob Schoolcraft - March 10 2022 at 20:24
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2022 at 08:03
They're cool and fun to listen.

PT or anything from SW is far from original, but then there's not much else that sounds similar, IMO. (and I enjoy Riverside, Pinneaple Thief, Airbag, PRR, but IMO, each one has unique characteristics). Pink Floyd has been mentioned a lot, but I don't think they sound much like it, SW guitar playstyle is a lot different from David Gilmour, and a lot worse regarding skills, tbh lol, even though IMO SW underestimates his guitar skills. The drums are completely different and Barbieri is a much more soundscape guy compared to the jazzy Wright. (my favorite keyboard player ever, btw)

Even in the earlier days, I always saw them closer to Ozric Tentacles than Pink Floyd. And then, PF is not much more than another very big bag of influences, too, as many other bands are too. It's much different something like Greta Van Fleet that has clearly a heavy infusion of LZ (and I don't think they are bad, tbh)

Edited by Deadwing - March 10 2022 at 12:01
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2022 at 07:53
Hi,

Very enjoyable write up of yours ... totally well done!

Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

I think this boils down to two major factors.

1) How musical preferences are formed.

2) The role music plays in a particular persons life.

1. Makes sense, but then, it does suggest that folks that only listen to one kind of music, then, possibly, do not learn enough about music itself and how it can be used or worked. The same thing goes for all the arts ... which is not exactly all copy except for what is taught in schools ... do the tomato. Do the house on the prairie. Do the nude form. Etc ...

2. The role is different. Our house had a massive library of classical music, and dad was known to write poetry to many pieces (published in 36 languages already!), about the music, however, all that hearing thought out the day or night might have had an effect ... the continuity of the music was valuable and important. Today's music listeners are stuck on the radio styled 4 or 5 minutes, and many folks even here on PA will state that the instrumental passages are ridiculous and a waste of space, and bloat the music, which to me, is a thought that they were never grown up around "music", other than pop music. 

My main concern in bringing this "down" is realizing that in the end, all we are finding is how poor we are as listeners to anything other than what we know ... and what your number 2 states is that IT IS THE RULE THAT MANDATES WHAT YOU END UP DEFINING AS MUSIC ... which I totally disagree with ... you and I did not start, or define music ... IT WAS ALREADY THERE, but your (or mine) inability to hear something else should not be what the music is about ... or we are deciding that some things are artistic and the rest is not ... the veritable my God is correct, and yours is NOT.

That will make the discussion of music, or art, a lot more difficult, and we have to bring up its history and see if we can get more folks to relate to it, than just a pop song ... and how in the 60's many "revolted" against a lot of rock music and went to the "jazz" are of it, because it was cleaner, had less drugs and in many ways, was less violated by the media which allowed you to make your own thoughts and ideas.

But yo still did not create a sort of theory about it all ... how you rejected one thing and took up another, and making it seem like that other one you don't like anymore is not the right one, or proper music.

If musical preferences are formed within a social context, i.e. parties, nightclubs etc. then it is more likely that any given person will indeed adopt a more populist outlook to music

There by losing the ability to make a good statement about the art form in general, since the comments are specific to one thing, not the whole specter of the art form!

Artificial stimulants, whether they be alcohol or drugs might indeed become a factor in this decision making process, however musical tastes are already beginning to be formulated before these things become an over arching component, in accordance with other social factors to do with over all upbringing IMO.

Depends on a lot of things. Europe has a massive history of music ... America does not and spent a lot of time erasing a lot of it from many black folks and indigenous folks for hundreds of years, or at least make sure that the songs got lost in the plantation, so to speak!

I'm only a proponent of the ability to listen and enjoy a lot more music. I was lucky that I had it at 12 with classical music, at 15 with Beatles and Rolling Stones, at 20 with Jimi, Janis, CSNY, Moodies and others, and then later at 22/23 with a lot of European Music that I still love and listen to day in and out, because its creativity and design, is STILL different from most rock songs, and from a lot of classical music ... we still don't see that, and instead end up listening to a lot of rehashes that are merely repeating the same old song with new words!

It's not the same thing!

Edited by moshkito - March 10 2022 at 07:56
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2022 at 17:37
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

...I am not sure I enjoy reading so much about one band, and what would appear to be a very clear indicator that many people have not given something else a good listen ... in order to ensure that this "open mindedness" is more thoughtful and therefore, appreciated.

I think this boils down to two major factors.

1) How musical preferences are formed.

2) The role music plays in a particular persons life.

If musical preferences are formed within a social context, i.e. parties, nightclubs etc. then it is more likely that any given person will indeed adopt a more populist outlook to music. The music played in these environments will come to be related to and remind the person of enjoyment, pretty much regardless of any artistic merit that the music itself might demonstrate.

If preferences are formed within a more confined or solitary context then a person is more likely to be able to explore a wider range of music without having to consider the preferences of others, and is therefore more likely to take some time exploring music that is not constrained by a perceived popularity.

Artificial stimulants, whether they be alcohol or drugs might indeed become a factor in this decision making process, however musical tastes are already beginning to be formulated before these things become an over arching component, in accordance with other social factors to do with over all upbringing IMO.

Either way, it becomes a personal preference and is therefore beyond criticism really. People are entitled to like what they like, whether it be because of or regardless of anyone elses opinion.

As to what role music might play in anyones life, as far as I can see there are two main ways to experience music. Either as something to be focused on and enjoyed or something to fill the silence.

Music to be focused on and enjoyed then falls into two categories. Music that demands attention to be fully appreciated and music that can be appreciated without paying too much attention to its content.

Music that fills the silence is just signals in the airwaves and could be just about anything anyway.

Once again, this is all a matter of personal preference and is therefore beyond criticism. Any individual likes what they like and they are entitled to their tastes regardless of how they are formed or whether or not they align with whatever number of other people.

To think otherwise is its own form of aesthetic fascism IMHO.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - March 09 2022 at 19:59
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2022 at 06:52
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I wish 'people' would stop making rules about music appreciation. People should be able to love or hate any particular music as much as they like. 
Hi,

I hope we don't think this is about "rules". My only thought is trying to identify why someone would simply "review" something on a thread with just one word! it seems ridiculous to me, and kinda suggests that the person was looking for something he/she did not get at all, and thus the comment. 

This is a thought, and not a reality as fas as I know.

Prog rock came at a time when there was more encouragement to be different. It's hard to expect musicians to make statements when they have families and themselves to feed. 

Not sure anything has changed, although I think (I THINK) that these days with the Internet it is a bit easier for bands to make a dollar or two (instead of a deal/contract) and thus keep going ... I do not exactly see how/why this would be an issue at all, in anyone's evaluation of the music.

Music doesn't happen in a vacuum of artistic freedom most of the time. 

Correct. However, here (specially) it is really difficult to show folks the inspirations for many things, and one of the easiest to discuss is David Bowie who took on so much theater in his music, and no one seemed to complain about it. But it is a "problem" for "progressive music" for some reason, because it does not follow some invisible and ridiculous rules that have nothing to do with the music itself!

This is the main reason why I mention so much theater or film, and sometimes other arts, that inspire many, and in the past 40 years, these have not been as strong and valuable to the history of the media/medium as they were in the late 60's and early 70's. THAT, is not to say that nothing happened in the 80's, 90's and beyond, but that the adventuresome styles did not manifest themselves as well, and it might have been better (for example) if "new age" stuff did not make it look like a fad, and instead took its music, and arts more seriously other than a commercial trap for women!

I love to mention how Damo, Klaus (Kinski) and some films at the time, were so explosive in experimenting, and just recently, a book I can not even figure out how to write a review on, the work of Robert Altman, who was not one of the folks I enjoyed the most, but guess what ... he was one of the biggest improvisation artists of all time, and we're not just talking in front of the camera, we are also talking behind it, with lights, sound, and all the possible things that could be done or used. This kind of stuff is historic in film (see the film VISIONS OF LIGHT please to get a better idea!) ... however, when it comes to music, it seems to be ridiculously attached to drugs and one week (so to speak) in the life of a butterfly! And things being discussed as "hits" from the ratings and everything else that so many websites use, make this whole thing even worse ... like comparing apples to oranges! Both good for your diet, and yet, they don't do the same thing or offer the same results!

I would even go as far to say that being open mindedness about music is not a virtue at all.

Depends. I have no issues with the open mindedness, but I am not sure I enjoy reading so much about one band, and what would appear to be a very clear indicator that many people have not given something else a good listen ... in order to ensure that this "open mindedness" is more thoughtful and therefore, appreciated. Instead, it is many times centered, almost strictly, on making sure that many folks show themselves a part of the social milieu by also agreeing with all the others.

At that point, I'm not sure it is all "democratic" anymore, and it becomes might makes right and guess what ... here comes the glut, the commerciality and the wars! I think you would think slightly differently about these things if you had been born  into a country  that was mired in fascism, and made role play something to have fun with by taking out artists and writers. Because, their minds are a threat to their position! Europe lost a lot of folks, some not as well known, because of it ... and we still go about putting these folks down, when some trumpistas take the helm. 

It has to stop sometime, or we can not value "progressive music" or anything else in our life!

Edited by moshkito - March 05 2022 at 06:56
www.pedrosena.com
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2022 at 02:07
PT never, ever clicked with me.

The rest of these conversations usually = gatekeeping rationalized as objective standard/merit somehow.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2022 at 01:22
I wish 'people' would stop making rules about music appreciation. People should be able to love or hate any particular music as much as they like. The whole 'making a statement' thing is dubious. Prog rock came at a time when there was more encouragement to be different. It's hard to expect musicians to make statements when they have families and themselves to feed. Music doesn't happen in a vacuum of artistic freedom most of the time. Whether we like it is up to us to decide , not some stuck up music critic or patronising so and so. Yep I will have a favourite album and a favourite artist and I will hate what I don't like and discard and even not make any effort to like it if I choose. I would even go as far to say that being open mindedness about music is not a virtue at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>