Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: When did Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds make their best albums?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [75.00%]
1 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    Posted: February 18 2022 at 03:56
Many musicians have passed through the ranks of the Bad Seeds since 1983, but Nick Cave has had two main musical foils, both talented multi instrumentalists. Mick Harvey was there from the start but left in 2009 - his last studio album was Dig!!!Lazarus, Dig!!!. Warren Ellis joined as a full member for Murder Ballads and has also collaborated with Nick Cave on film soundtracks, in Grinderman and on the album Carnage.

Which was the best era for the Bad Seeds,though?
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2022 at 07:46
I haven't heard all of Nick Cave's output but my two favourite Bad Seeds album are Tender Prey from 1988 and the Good Son 1990 so voted for:With Mick Harvey (1983-1997)
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2022 at 07:59
Voted the first era. I think Blixa Bargeld was also an important factor in the band with his stylish minimalist playing. I also think of him as a kind of a "sparring partner" for Nick, just like Rowland S. Howard was back in Birthday Party and Warren Ellis seems to be now. 

I think Warren Ellis joined Bad Seeds for Boatman's Call, not Murder Ballads? 
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2022 at 08:10
Originally posted by Hiram Hiram wrote:

Voted the first era. I think Blixa Bargeld was also an important factor in the band with his stylish minimalist playing. I also think of him as a kind of a "sparring partner" for Nick, just like Rowland S. Howard was back in Birthday Party and Warren Ellis seems to be now. 

I think Warren Ellis joined Bad Seeds for Boatman's Call, not Murder Ballads? 

Good points. I focused on Mick Harvey and Warren Ellis because they are both multi instrumentalists who who get a fair number of co-writing credits. Warren Ellis was a regular guest musician for a few years before he joined the Bad Seeds as a full member, which was at the time of Murder Ballads.
'Like so many of you

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2022 at 07:06
Hi,

I don't dislike him at all ... but I can't help remembering Anita Lane ... and her interesting voice and choice of materials. Yeah, I wanna do the Kama Sutra With You ... much more interesting than a lot of Nick Cave's material sometimes ... but still good, mind you.

Also loved the work he did with Ryuichi Sakamoto ... get a hold of "HEARTBEAT", for an incredible song ... totally amazing. My thoughts are that this was more about Ryuichi than it was about Nick, but the combination was really good.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2022 at 05:06
^ Anita Lane's both solo albums are very good. I think Mick Harvey played much/most of the instruments on them and did arrangements etc.  

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2022 at 15:47
Anita Lane also appeared on Intoxicated Man, Mick Harvey's first album of Serge Gainsbourg covers (and I think made a guest appearance on the follow up), and Mick Harvey was also a key member of Crime and the City Solution.
'Like so many of you

Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2022 at 22:53
Crime and the City Solution are quite good, too, although I sometimes get the feeling that they're kind of poor man's Bad Seeds. 

Then there's Die Haut. Thomas Wydler played with them and Nick Cave, Anita Lane, Blixa Bargeld and probably everyone else have been guest vocalists with them. Rudi Moser and Jochen Arbeit who are now in Einstürzende Neubauten were also in Die Haut. 

Someone should draw a map of connections between these bands. 
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2022 at 06:47
I am a fan of Nick cave, I consider him one of the most important singer-songwriter, and one of the moste educated musician (he, Dylan, Cohen, Springsteen, Young, Waits, Reed and Cale - in Italy: De André, Guccini, Conte, Fossati). 

I Love all of his production until Nocturama, then, in my opinion, except for the Grinderman return, his Lp are not so great.

The first 5 discs are all masterpieces, apart from the cover one, perhaps his peaks are From her to Eternity and The Good Son. Then, in the second phase, the masterpiece is No More Shall We part but The Boatmans Call is also a masterpiece.

Ultimately, in my opinion we are facing one of the greatest musical geniuses.

He is great even in concert.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - March 10 2022 at 06:54
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2022 at 02:54
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I am a fan of Nick cave, I consider him one of the most important singer-songwriter, and one of the moste educated musician (he, Dylan, Cohen, Springsteen, Young, Waits, Reed and Cale - in Italy: De André, Guccini, Conte, Fossati). 

I Love all of his production until Nocturama, then, in my opinion, except for the Grinderman return, his Lp are not so great.

The first 5 discs are all masterpieces, apart from the cover one, perhaps his peaks are From her to Eternity and The Good Son. Then, in the second phase, the masterpiece is No More Shall We part but The Boatmans Call is also a masterpiece.

Ultimately, in my opinion we are facing one of the greatest musical geniuses.

He is great even in concert.

For me it's almost the opposite; the first few albums were patchy for me, although he was a compelling live performer, but from The Good Son onwards his output has been consistently good and frequently excellent. I also think that this is largely due to the musicians who are able to bring his ideas to life.
'Like so many of you

Post Reply Post Reply