Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gary Brooker has passed away (Procol Harum)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gary Brooker has passed away (Procol Harum)
    Posted: February 22 2022 at 12:56
Sadly, Gary Brooker, lead singer and the only member of Procol Harum that was a contributing member from the very beginning to this day, passed away today due to cancer.

The band has released a statement.

Quote With the deepest regret we must announce the death on 19 February 2022 of Gary Brooker MBE, singer, pianist and composer of Procol Harum, and a brightly-shining, irreplaceable light in the music industry. Aged 76, he had been receiving treatment for cancer, but died peacefully at home.

[The rest can be found in the link above]

Procol Harum has had a special place for me since I discovered them. Especially some live performances really brought their music to life. One of the earliest acts that are recognized by PA.

Gary was a fenomenal singer and artist and he shall be missed.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2022 at 12:58
Please return refer to the RIP thread in General Music Discussions for additional posts.

Edited by SteveG - February 22 2022 at 13:19
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2022 at 14:08
RiP to my biggest inspiration when i was in a band for a short time. A huge contributer to melody.
Progfan1958 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progfan1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2022 at 14:32
One of the most soulful singers in rock. He will certainly be missed. He's now gone off to join his close friend George Harrison in the Great Beyond.

Edited by Progfan1958 - February 22 2022 at 14:33
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2022 at 14:42
RIP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2022 at 14:45
Part of my childhood's soundtrack. Unforgettable.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2022 at 16:35
Great band such a unique sound ---RIP.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2022 at 18:20
These are really sad news. He was not only a great composer, singer, pianist and artist, but also a great human being. May he rest in peace.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2022 at 00:05
RIP Gary Brooker , lovely voice and excellent organist. Not many bands maintained their relevance as much as Procol did through that 1967-1975 era of ''Progressive Rock Music''. Will be sadly missed by a great many.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2022 at 05:37
Sad news. RIP.
Philchem8 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philchem8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2022 at 16:51
Nice thread, but I'm assuming this should continue under the RIP thread in the General Music Discussion so posted there.
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2022 at 12:05
Sad news! RIP Gary Brooker!
Old Father Thames View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Father Thames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2022 at 20:35
This one hurts deeply. I was fortunate enough to meet him once back in the late 90s when he was part of Ringo's All-Star Band and he was the nicest guy. Procol Harum are a favorite and a huge influence on me musically. RIP, Sir.
 Post Reply Post Reply