Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subwoofer ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subwoofer ?
    Posted: February 25 2022 at 15:49
I'm not leaving my humble 2-way stereo for a fancy multi-channel setup (at least in the foreseeable future) BUT consider the addition of a subwoofer to my actual rig if that proves worthy.

Would any of you gentlemen share with me your practical experience on this matter (theoretical non-tested opinions will be mercilessly discarded) ?
Real-life suggestions, on the opposite, are very welcome ! (photo not obligatory)

Thank you, God Bless
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2022 at 16:07
JBL PSW-1000
I've used this for the last 25 years or so. I use it on a regular 2ch set up for both my TV/movie viewing and my main music. It has both the power to kick @ss and the smoothness to make you forget there is even a sub in play depending on the source.

Specs

Type: single driver subwoofer

Frequency Response: 30Hz to 150Hz

Crossover Frequency: 90-150Hz

Bass: 1 x 300mm polymer laminate cone

Enclosure: bass reflex

Dimensions: 457 x 292 x 426mm

Weight: 16.4kg

Note: 100 watt power amplifier

Year: 1996

Edited by JD - February 25 2022 at 17:14
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2022 at 16:35
Originally posted by Dark Ness Dark Ness wrote:

I'm not leaving my humble 2-way stereo for a fancy multi-channel setup (at least in the foreseeable future) BUT consider the addition of a subwoofer to my actual rig if that proves worthy.

Would any of you gentlemen share with me your practical experience on this matter (theoretical non-tested opinions will be mercilessly discarded) ?
Real-life suggestions, on the opposite, are very welcome ! (photo not obligatory)

Thank you, God Bless

Highly suggested! I run dual subs in my 2-channel setup (I don't have a HT setup, nor do I want one). I have dual SVS SB2000 subs run in stereo mode from my integrated amp. It has been the best upgrade to my speaker system short of buying new speakers which I'm not ready to do.

It all depends on what your main speakers are and their frequency range, how low do they go. I started out with one sub but found it created a bump around 60-70Hz I could not tame, the 2nd sub flattened everything out and pressurizes the room nicely when the music calls for it, as well made soundstage even wider than I already was experiencing.

Subwoofer setup is very critical to make sure it blends well with the mains...

Edited by Catcher10 - February 25 2022 at 16:37
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2022 at 16:57
Oh, my mains are...

era Design 4 Sat

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2022 at 16:59
I love the implementation of a subwoofer, but one must bare in mind that room correction and acoustic treatment is often highly necessary. Bass frequencies are the hardest to obtain accurately with in a home room.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2022 at 17:19
This is my configuration, I found this position is more natural as it mimics having main speakers with large bass drivers anyhow. Like I said having dual subs flattened out my freq response in my room vs just one sub. My mains have side firing woofers so that helps the soundstage really well.

My mains are Rega RX5 towers https://www.rega.co.uk/products/rx5

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 09:08
Aren't the side firing Subs being blocked by the SVS's since they face out and are on the lower portion of the towers?
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 09:25
Originally posted by Dark Ness Dark Ness wrote:

Would any of you gentlemen share with me your practical experience on this matter
Two years ago I was in your situation: I'm very happy with my stereo set-up, although it is not necessarily that humble (a hybrid tube amp and a 3-way DIY speaker set at the heart of it). Sometimes I felt the lower end a bit lacking, so I got me a modest subwoofer.

The frequency range of my speaker set started at about 30-35 Hz. Not bad at all, but sometimes - and especially when watching films with the sound over my Hifi system - I felt something could be better. Now I added a subwoofer with a frequency range of 20 to 200 Hz and an adjustable Cross-over frequency of 50 to 150 Hz. I hesitated to get its bigger brother (with a range starting at 16 Hz), but I'm very happy with what I have now (a Magnat Monitor Sub 201A). Both for music and for films this - for the moment - convinced me that I don't need a fancy 5.1 or 7.1 multi-channel system. So, I would say: go for it - no need for a big investment, but it does make an interesting and enjoyable difference.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 10:06
Depends. If you listen to music in stereo there is not much difference. If you listen to DVD audio with 5.1 mixes, maybe.

Subs may help if you're watching action movies and stuff is getting blown up. But to hear that in all its glory you need a surround sound setup.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 11:10
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Depends. If you listen to music in stereo there is not much difference. If you listen to DVD audio with 5.1 mixes, maybe.

Subs may help if you're watching action movies and stuff is getting blown up. But to hear that in all its glory you need a surround sound setup.
Sorry, can't agree with these statements. I can hear a stark difference be tween no sub and sub while listening in stereo. You don't NEED a surround setup. And to be honest, most viewing spaces aren't exactly set up for a true surround system so you're really just making yourself feel good by saying "I have a 5.1 or 7.1 system". Of course, if you have the $100,000 and excessive room space to build a real theatre system, then god bless you.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 11:42
Absolutely. You don’t need a 5.1 or 7.1 system to understand fully articulated bass.
Subwoofers are highly noticeable in just a 2 channel set up.

Most high end 2 channel set ups use mono blocks and pre amps for the Subwoofer output.
Believe me. Those types of 2 channel set ups with a sub are absolutely incredible, but of course expensive as hell.
For my tastes I’d take that over a 7.1 set up. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 12:29
Properly placed acoustic treatment will give you better sound than just randomly adding a sub.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 12:33
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

And to be honest, most viewing spaces aren't exactly set up for a true surround system so you're really just making yourself feel good by saying "I have a 5.1 or 7.1 system".
No home is setup for listening to stereo music either, without proper acoustic treatment.

Curious, JD as to how much treatment you have for your listening environment.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 12:37
I have two 600 watt subs that I can phase differently to enhance my listening room acoustics. But this is not for everyone. But I cannot fathom listening to any two channel system without at least one sub. Aside from the loss of lower bass extention, the dynamics of the music would suffer without one. Oh, and I have bass traps.

Edited by SteveG - February 27 2022 at 12:40
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 12:57
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I have two 600 watt subs that I can phase differently to enhance my listening room acoustics. But this is not for everyone. But I cannot fathom listening to any two channel system without at least one sub. Aside from the loss of lower bass extention, the dynamics of the music would suffer without one. Oh, and I have bass traps.
Agree with not for everyone and bass traps.

Curious, do you have 6", 8", or greater thickness on your traps and are they floor to ceiling in all corners? As a recording engineer I'm sure you did it right.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - February 27 2022 at 13:05
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 13:04

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Agree with not for everyone and bass traps.

Curious, do you have 6", 8", or greater thickness on your traps and are they floor to ceiling in all corners? As a recording engineer I'm sure you did it right.
6 inch. And I just threw them down where they sounded good. No science involved at all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 13:19
^But you are an experienced recording engineer with a golden ear. For us common folk, adding a sub could make things worse.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 13:37

^But you are an experienced recording engineer with a golden ear. For us common folk, adding a sub could make things worse.
Well, No one says that you have have big wattage to get some effect, or a designated listening room with acoustic treatments. A small sub between 70-150 Watts makes a big difference to the sound of a two channel system. For a small investment, the sound of a system can be vastly improved upon. Just don't crank it to 11 as the sub will not keep up. And there's no hard set up involved.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 13:51

And to be honest, most viewing spaces aren't exactly set up for a true surround system so you're really just making yourself feel good by saying "I have a 5.1 or 7.1 system".
No home is setup for listening to stereo music either, without proper acoustic treatment.

Curious, JD as to how much treatment you have for your listening environment.
Describe 'treatment' please.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 14:14

Describe 'treatment' please.
Absorption and diffusion.

Google "acoustic treatment" if you're interested.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>