Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Objectivity in rating albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Objectivity in rating albums
    Posted: March 13 2022 at 10:39

I guess there are different opinions concerning the possibility for objective rating of albums.

But which criteria can be said to have at least some degree of objectivity, and why? Star

Edit:
define "objective" as "having existence outside the mind", which is the common 
philosophical definition according to Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary of Current 
English, Oxford University Press 1974.

Edited by David_D - March 22 2022 at 10:39
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 10:44
Maybe the complexity, or not, of the composition.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 10:51
There are some things that could be measured objectively but I don't see how they would affect the rating of an album - number of different chords, number of instruments played etc. Music rating is inherently subjective imo, for every album someone loves there will be someone who hates it. 
There are some albums however that you can't really argue with. Let's take Close To The Edge as an example, there will be people who don't like it but you can't really argue that it is one of the most important and highly regarded prog albums and is therefore deserving of a reasonable rating. Can you? 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 11:11
I'm totally subjective when rating albums. Big smile
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 11:14
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm totally subjective when rating albums. Big smile

That's interesting to know, Paul. Smile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 11:44
Quality of production is a out the only objective piece.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 12:01
I always rate albums purely subjectively.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 12:29
There are no meaningful objective criteria (if any at all) when it comes to reviewing an album. As Chopper says, you could come up with some criteria that are as close to being objective as possible, but they would add nothing to the review.

My favourite reviewers on this site, and elsewhere, are those who review in a completely subjective manner. It tells me far more than any objective review could.

[EDIT] I’d add that even Ian’s suggestion that quality of production might be the only objective criterium is one which could still be meaningless without subjective opinion of it. Dark Side of the Moon is pretty much universally lauded for its production, but that is of no interest to me when I’m reading a review, so much as how people experience it subjectively.

Edited by nick_h_nz - March 13 2022 at 12:33
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 12:53
I guess the real question is of what possible use would an objective only rating be within a music rating? It's like rating paintings by how much magenta is used.
Without the subjectivity a rating wouldn't really tell you anything relevant about the music. Other than say meter, amplitude, frequency and wave form.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 12:59
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

[EDIT] I’d add that even Ian’s suggestion that quality of production might be the only objective criterium is one which could still be meaningless without subjective opinion of it. Dark Side of the Moon is pretty much universally lauded for its production, but that is of no interest to me when I’m reading a review, so much as how people experience it subjectively.

Nursery Cryme is one album that is generally noted for its bad production, particularly in the drum sound, but for me it's still a 5 star album all the way.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 13:11
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Nursery Cryme is one album that is generally noted for its bad production, particularly in the drum sound, but for me it's still a 5 star album all the way.
So by that logic, production is never a consideration for you when rating an album?
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 13:22
As I see it, popularity is the only objective measure of quality. But to account for the widely different tastes in music, the popularity should be from the fans of the particular types of music. Thus, the quality of prog should be assessed by the popularity among prog fans, the quality of metal should be assessed by the popularity among metal fans, the quality of jazz should be assessed by the popularity among jazz fans, etc. And if one is a fan of avant-prog rather than symphonic prog, the quality of avant-prog should be assessed by the popularity among avant-prog fans rather than symphonic prog fans.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 13:52
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

So by that logic, production is never a consideration for you when rating an album?

Only if it effects my enjoyment of the album, but even then I think I a, likely only to comment on it, rather than let it affect my rating.

As Chopper points out, one of the most beloved Genesis albums has notoriously poor production. It rarely is a consideration for people reviewing the album. They might comment on it, but very few rate the album lower because of it.

Conversely, as per my example, the great production of Dark Side of the Moon is rarely a consideration for people reviewing that. Again, they might comment on it, but very few rate the album higher because of it.

There are some albums that the production does effect my enjoy enjoyment, where they are, eg, brickwalled obscenely, or perhaps where they are muffled and muddy. But I can’t recall ever adjusting my rating because of the production. I might mention it, but I don’t let it effect how I rate an album. So, in that respect, it is never a consideration for me when reviewing an album.

The only exception I can think of, and it’s not actually one I’ve ever encountered myself (yet?) is when reviewing a new release that is markedly different, where I might be comparing the production from the original to the new. So, eg, Rush’s “Vapor Trails” could be a chore to listen to because of how brickwalled it was. The new version is easier to listen to, but loses some of the vitality and oomph. There are fans of both releases, and neither would agree which is the better mix - showing just how subjective even a supposedly objective measure can be.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 13:54

I guess the real question is of what possible use would an objective only rating be within a music rating? It's like rating paintings by how much magenta is used.
Without the subjectivity a rating wouldn't really tell you anything relevant about the music. Other than say meter, amplitude, frequency and wave form.

So would you say, JD, that the criteria, I know that you use in your rating, are purely subjective, and you
might as well not use them at all?

Production
Song Writing
Originality 
Performance  

Edited by David_D - March 13 2022 at 14:10
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 14:02

And guys, read my OP carefully. I'm not asking about the degree of subjectivity, but about 
a possible degree of objectivity.

Edited by David_D - March 13 2022 at 14:23
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 14:06
Objectivity requires measurement, but how can you measure art? You can look at all the technical elements - complexity of composition, virtuosity of performance, production standards, and the like, but none of these can create a good album themselves. Any element can be taken to an extreme, but none of those necessarily equal quality.  Yet, a good rating, that is one that is worthy of examining even if one disagrees with it on the surface, must include these technicalities. A rating that requires exclusively on them is a rating from a technician. Now, a technician can also appreciate artistry, but by doing so goes beyond the technicalities. Objecitivity also requires clear standards. The Archives here provides a list of characteristics common to Progressive Rock and those are the best we have for this. The more knowledgeable about music a reviewer is the more objective that person can be. But this still will not remove any subjectivity. For me, the best reviews combine knowledge with informed subjectivity.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 14:07
Then again, you could use my Max Factor 10 rating system, where you rank each of the following album factors out of ten to give an overall percentage, although I've never used the system myself, as I'm far too subjective. Tongue

* Emotional Appeal
 * Originality
 * Power and Passion
 * Production & Arrangement
 * Replayability
 * Songwriting Technique
 * Technical Ability
 * Versatility
 * Vocal Ability
 * That Indefinable 'X' Factor

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 13 2022 at 14:07
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 14:23
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Objectivity requires measurement, but how can you measure art? You can look at all the technical elements - complexity of composition, virtuosity of performance, production standards, and the like, but none of these can create a good album themselves. Any element can be taken to an extreme, but none of those necessarily equal quality.  Yet, a good rating, that is one that is worthy of examining even if one disagrees with it on the surface, must include these technicalities. A rating that requires exclusively on them is a rating from a technician. Now, a technician can also appreciate artistry, but by doing so goes beyond the technicalities. Objecitivity also requires clear standards. The Archives here provides a list of characteristics common to Progressive Rock and those are the best we have for this. The more knowledgeable about music a reviewer is the more objective that person can be. But this still will not remove any subjectivity. For me, the best reviews combine knowledge with informed subjectivity.

But you're actually saying, Progosopher, that "a good rating" possess a certain degree of objectivity?

That's what my OP is asking about.

Edited by David_D - March 14 2022 at 01:00
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 14:27
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Then again, you could use my Max Factor 10 rating system, where you rank each of the following album factors out of ten to give an overall percentage, although I've never used the system myself, as I'm far too subjective. Tongue

Would that make the rating more objective, and if so why?

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 14:54
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

So would you say, JD, that the criteria, I know that you use in your rating, are purely subjective, and you
might as well not use them at all?

Production
Song Writing
Originality 
Performance  

100% subjective. How could it be any other way. But I don't see that as being a reason to not use them. I see it as the ONLY way to use them.
I'm a huge keyboard fan, so if I hear some nice Hammond licks it plays favourably for me. Someone else might be more of a guitar person so the organ doesn't really influence what they thinks vs the guitar sounds or parts. And as you pointed out, I believe that Production Values should be a rate-able portion of a musical release since it affects the end product.

Edited by JD - March 13 2022 at 15:05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>