Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Objectivity in rating albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 02:16
There’s no objectivity when it comes down to ratings, how could there ever be?
We all have ears and tastebuds that are uniquely our own. Even having someone with a deep academic knowledge of music tell me X album trumps Y…is nonsensical to me because I’ve only ever experienced music through me.

Objective facts such as mentioning what instruments are in use, time signatures, year of production and so forth can have some merit in a review - especially if the reviewer has some ideas or opinions on the subject…yet again the really interesting bits, to me, are the ones that are subjectively based.

Rating music or art is meaningless anyway. I find it absurd tbh.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 02:29
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️THIS!🔼🔼🔼🔼🔼
Absolutely this. The only reason I give a rating with my reviews on PA is because I have to. If I could make just one change to PA, it would be to remove the ratings completely.

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 02:31
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm totally subjective when rating albums. Big smile
I rate only because it's mandatory.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 02:32
I’d like that very much as well Nick
Back when I wrote reviews I absolutely hated having to come up with a rating.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 03:03

If to define "objective" as "having existence outside the mind", should rating criteria like production,
song writing, originality and perfomance not be considered then as objective?
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 03:08
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

If to define "objective" as "having existence outside the mind", should rating criteria like production,

And how would you propose to rate any of those objectively? The only one of those criteria that could potentially be considered objective is the production - and even taken objectively, it is near impossible to avoid subjectivity over production. The remainder of your criteria listed above are entirely subjective.

Even if you consider that there might be objective criteria, this thread has shown overwhelmingly that people are not interested in that when it comes to reviewing and rating an album. Objective criteria can be mentioned, and often are, in a review - but very rarely are they taken into account when rating an album.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 03:18
How on earth does one go about objectively quantifying songwriting, originality and performance?
Who decides the criterias?
What if the rest of us don’t agree?

I can make an argument that Mozart is better music than Hansi Hinterseer..sure..but that doesn’t change the fact that my grandmother gets goosebumps to Hansi and wouldn’t bat an eyelid at Amadeus.
The same dilemma applies to folks discussing Haydn and Sibelius…perhaps who the better lyricist is between Bob Dylan, GZA and Jandek.
All something like this ever ends up as is a highly bureacratic scoring system which underlines the idea that art is a quantifiable thing…which it isn’t.

- Douglas Adams
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 04:19
Take the number of nouns in the music and divide by the number of pipperpipperpops in the music.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 04:36
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

There are some things that could be measured objectively but I don't see how they would affect the rating of an album - number of different chords, number of instruments played etc. Music rating is inherently subjective imo, for every album someone loves there will be someone who hates it. 
There are some albums however that you can't really argue with. Let's take Close To The Edge as an example, there will be people who don't like it but you can't really argue that it is one of the most important and highly regarded prog albums and is therefore deserving of a reasonable rating. Can you? 

See, I disagree. Not with the idea that CTTE is one of the most important and highly regarded prog albums, but of which could be pretty consistently measured with some decent criteria, though they may not be objective per say. I disagree with the idea that that must make it deserving of a reasonable rating. Personally, I love CTTE, and I'd give it 5/5 stars easily. But someone who doesn't enjoy it at all, even recognizing it's towering impact on the genre and popularity among prog fans to this day, may not be compelled to rate it based on any criteria but their own personal enjoyment of it, and if they don't enjoy it, there would be much reason to give it more than 1 star! Rating is subjective, criticism is subjective. The objective qualities about music don't tell us how many stars to give it. The Ramones and The Chainsmokers both tend to write 2-3 minute songs based around 3-4 chords. I love those of the former and detest those of the latter. The numbers involved have little to nothing to do with my opinions on that.
I get your point, it's interesting. The 5 star rating in PA is for "a masterpiece of progressive rock music". Now I would say that there are a number of prog albums generally regarded as "masterpieces" and CTTE is one of them. So if you don't like the album would you really give it 1 or 2 stars which means it's for collectors and completionists only? Could it really be said that CTTE is for completionists only? I would also argue that Relayer is a masterpiece but there is at least one person here who prefers The Quest, so should he give Relayer 1 or 2 stars?
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 05:24

thank you very much for all the contributions so far, and not least yours, Sacro Porgo
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 06:01

There are some things that could be measured objectively but I don't see how they would affect the rating of an album - number of different chords, number of instruments played etc. Music rating is inherently subjective imo, for every album someone loves there will be someone who hates it. 
There are some albums however that you can't really argue with. Let's take Close To The Edge as an example, there will be people who don't like it but you can't really argue that it is one of the most important and highly regarded prog albums and is therefore deserving of a reasonable rating. Can you? 

See, I disagree. Not with the idea that CTTE is one of the most important and highly regarded prog albums, but of which could be pretty consistently measured with some decent criteria, though they may not be objective per say. I disagree with the idea that that must make it deserving of a reasonable rating. Personally, I love CTTE, and I'd give it 5/5 stars easily. But someone who doesn't enjoy it at all, even recognizing it's towering impact on the genre and popularity among prog fans to this day, may not be compelled to rate it based on any criteria but their own personal enjoyment of it, and if they don't enjoy it, there would be much reason to give it more than 1 star! Rating is subjective, criticism is subjective. The objective qualities about music don't tell us how many stars to give it. The Ramones and The Chainsmokers both tend to write 2-3 minute songs based around 3-4 chords. I love those of the former and detest those of the latter. The numbers involved have little to nothing to do with my opinions on that.
I get your point, it's interesting. The 5 star rating in PA is for "a masterpiece of progressive rock music". Now I would say that there are a number of prog albums generally regarded as "masterpieces" and CTTE is one of them. So if you don't like the album would you really give it 1 or 2 stars which means it's for collectors and completionists only? Could it really be said that CTTE is for completionists only? I would also argue that Relayer is a masterpiece but there is at least one person here who prefers The Quest, so should he give Relayer 1 or 2 stars?
The one person here who prefers The Quest over Close to the Edge has given the Relayer album a totally subjective 4-star rating. Wink
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 06:06

The one person here who prefers The Quest over Close to the Edge has given the Relayer album a totally subjective 4-star rating. Wink
That's actually interesting because I thought you didn't like Relayer, so did you rate it on that basis or did you give it 4 stars due to it's status as a "masterpiece"?
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 06:27
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I can tell about my own point of view that I distinguish between these criteria mentioned here themselves and a raters evaluation of them. 
The criteria themselves are at least to a certain degree objective, as defined here, but a rater's evalution of them/rating wil always be 
to a certain degree/mostly? subjective. 
However, a number of raters may agree about a certain evaluation/rating, and if so, this rating can be said to have a certain degree
of "objectivity", if understood as intersubjectivity. With a larger number of raters who agree about a certain rating, then bigger "objectivity".
- The second part of it of course only if presuming an agreement about using certain criteria.

Edited by David_D - March 14 2022 at 08:27
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 06:39

That's actually interesting because I thought you didn't like Relayer, so did you rate it on that basis or did you give it 4 stars due to it's status as a "masterpiece"?
You're right. I didn't like the Relayer album at all when I first heard it back in the mid-70's, but I've since listened to the album again recently and now grown to appreciate it more. 

My current Top 7 YES albums:-

1. The Quest
2. The Ladder
3. Talk
4. Going for the One
5. Close to the Edge
6. The Yes Album
7. 90125
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 07:43
To me, production and engineering are separate things. Most producers don't engineer and most engineers don't produce. If we discuss the sound, that involves engineering. Producers generally make sure timelines are met, offer suggestions on arrangements, and are usually not recording, mixing, or mastering.

I wish more reviews would mention sound and I believe the rating should reflect this. For example, I initially gave Dream Theater's "Distance Over Time" a four star rating. After, listening to the CD several times, it sounds awful to my ears, and I can no longer listen to it. So, my rating would now be three stars.

My point, engineering, while also somewhat subjective, should play a part in rating an album. Same with all remastered or remixed albums. The sound of album is part of the final product and should be discussed and factored into the final rating.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - March 14 2022 at 07:49
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 08:12
^I can dig it. Hell I absolutely adore the music on King Crimson’s Earthbound, but the actual recording sounds like it was caught by an underwater mic from the bottom of a brewski. As it is I can’t stand listening to it exactly because of the horrendous sound quality.
…but that is very rare indeed. On the other side of the fence are modern releases that sound like they were recorded in a vacuum by peeps with latex gloves on playing to a click. As much as this approach is boring to me, it’s still an easier listen than the above mentioned trashcan recording.

Btw how can an album you can’t listen to end up with 3 stars 3 stars are for good albums.

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 08:13
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️THIS!🔼🔼🔼🔼🔼
Absolutely this. The only reason I give a rating with my reviews on PA is because I have to. If I could make just one change to PA, it would be to remove the ratings completely.

Hi,

And ... the PA folks ... come and go (and post again!!!!) ... thinking of Michelangelo!

Some things never change when someone can not make up his/her mind and rely on something else!

If you have to rely on a "rating" or "ranking" to enjoy CTTE, you are not listening to music at all! You are listening to music by numbers!!!!!!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 08:42

Btw how can an album you can’t listen to end up with 3 stars 3 stars are for good albums.
Yeah, my ratings are different from those on PA. I rate similar to school grades given in the states. A = Excellent (5 stars); B = Above Average (4 stars); C = Average (3 stars); D = Below Average (2 stars); F = Fail (1 star). I wouldn't call any album "essential".
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 09:05
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

To me, production and engineering are separate things. Most producers don't engineer and most engineers don't produce. If we discuss the sound, that involves engineering. Producers generally make sure timelines are met, offer suggestions on arrangements, and are usually not recording, mixing, or mastering.

I wish more reviews would mention sound and I believe the rating should reflect this. For example, I initially gave Dream Theater's "Distance Over Time" a four star rating. After, listening to the CD several times, it sounds awful to my ears, and I can no longer listen to it. So, my rating would now be three stars.

My point, engineering, while also somewhat subjective, should play a part in rating an album. Same with all remastered or remixed albums. The sound of album is part of the final product and should be discussed and factored into the final rating.
Well they certainly can be thought of separately, but for my part I've always approached the studio environment as a collaborative space between all parties. Producers can ask an engineer to achieve a specific sound either in general or for a specific instrument for instances. This will affect the sound of the recording and may actually depend on the producer's approval, so to say a producer has no part in the sound...I can't agree to that.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 09:14
Appreciation is, of course subjective, but if one agrees to or adheres to certain standards or set criteria, then some efforts can be considered objectively more successful then others. An example of this for me would be a replication challenge. We have three performers asked to read and play Ligeti's Devil's Staircase (Etude 13) and are asked not to improvise, but to play it accurately. Performer one is Keyboard Cat. The cat's human servant (one does not own the cat, the cat owns you) sprinkles dry cat food across the keyboard cum catwalk. The cat walk back and forth and it sounds nothing like the Ligeti piece. The second performer is an acclaimed concert pianist who plays all the right notes in the right order and at the right time. The fourth is a three year old beginner (first time trying to play the piano) who lacks the experience to play the piece. The fifth is a very drunk concert pianist who fumbles over the keys and then vomits all over the piano. The mother of the three year old might well enjoy her child's performance the most, but it wouldn't be the "best" according to the criterion of replication (playing a piece). The drunk's regurgitation might ultimately be declared great performance and visual art, but it would not be considered the most successful according to the challenge. The keyboard cat's performance may be the most successful on youtube, going viral (I know I like cat videos), but again it wouldn't be the most accurate performance. Now we have those same people record an album\s worth each of Liszt at the same level of proficiency, and we can judge it at the level of performance. Another way is to consider success is the intent, if someone sets out to make the greatest modal jazz album and the consensus finds that it ended up sounding like a messed up version of Crunkcore, then maybe it doesn't deserve a five star rating as a modal jazz album. As a messed up Crunkcore album it may be a masterpiece however. The albums may even be hailed as up there with Borkencyde! But not up there with Charles Mingus or Miles Davis and Gil Evans probably.

One of my favourite albums is The Shagg's Philosophy of the World, which is hailed as a bad album (they were amateurs), but many love it. Based on my subjective appreciation, I would rate it much higher than any Dream Theater, Spock's Beard or The Flower Kings album I know. But it's apples and oranges...

While I too would rather be able to review without rating, I actually have liked ratings a s reflection of an individual's taste (I will look at peoples reviewer pages) more so than as a conglomerate or aggregate at PA.

I do use RYM's album ratings charts to discover albums (I like the fact that I can search while using multiple tags for the album unlike here where all of a band's discography fall under one category, and not even multiple categories.
I do find that to be a useful research guide for checking things out (I have discovered quite a few acts and albums that I love that way). I also like to search reddit for music similar to whatever it is I am most into at the time but I digress.

I wish that ProgArchives ratings descriptors did not appeal to a sense of objectivity due to the subjective nature of evaluation. To each his or her own tastes. My scale would be more like ( I would want a wider spectrum and there is overlap in the descriptors, have done better ones before):
5. I love this!
4. I really liked this!
3. I like this.
2. Unsatisfying to me.
1. I really disliked/ loathed this.

I like that that scale is explicitly subjective. I do think there are various objective measures to evaluate the success of songs and albums, such as if you know what the goal of the song or album was, such as if it is lyrically trying to convey something that it actually gets wrong, like something historical nd not all music is performed as proficiently (I have heard DIY music that sounds terrible both in production and performance, and I do believe that if the artist was more skilled it would have made for a better album). That said I love the Shagg's and that amateur aspect is a big part of the charm (I'd rate it a five as one of its ilk).

Edited by Logan - March 14 2022 at 09:15
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>