Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Terje Rypdal: awe-inspiring guitar solo on "Adagio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Terje Rypdal: awe-inspiring guitar solo on "Adagio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Terje Rypdal: awe-inspiring guitar solo on "Adagio
    Posted: March 14 2022 at 09:54
This track appears on his 1975 album, Odyssey - it's the first song on "Side 2". It opens with "string ensemble" over organ, followed by a brief trombone solo. Rypdal's guitar enters at about the 4:00 mark (still enjoying my LP copy!) and continues for most of the next 9 minutes (total timing = 13:09).

I've been listening to this album for over 25 years, and this guitar solo absolutely blows me away every time I hear it. There's always a part of me that thinks, "It can't be as good as I remembered it," but then I'm proved wrong yet again. It simply must be one of the greatest guitar solos ever recorded, regardless of the genre.

For those who have heard this album, can I have some affirmation / validation, or am I the only one who thinks this? I own an overwhelming majority of his albums, and while they all have their moments, nothing compares to this solo! All of the "Jimi Hendrix of Norway" comparisons are emphatically true, especially when it comes to "Adagio".
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 10:13
Terje Rypdal is one of my favorite guitarists. I think I have the album you mentioned, I'll try to check that solo out later today.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2022 at 06:28
Odyssey is a wonderful album. I think I’ll put it on next.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2022 at 06:58
Thanks for the reminder! Surely gonna spin Odyssey a little later.
 Post Reply Post Reply