Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1990 - 1999: IQ, Marillion, Swans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Vote for an album, mention it in a post, and mention a track from it
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [21.95%]
11 [26.83%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.88%]
8 [19.51%]
3 [7.32%]
2 [4.88%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.44%]
1 [2.44%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.44%]
3 [7.32%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1990 - 1999: IQ, Marillion, Swans
    Posted: March 17 2022 at 21:15
Vote for an album, mention that album in a post, and mention a track from that album.

Three bands that released their first proper album in 1983 and are still going (Swans took a long break from releasing albums after Soundtracks for the Blind, but came back in 2010, the next albums is hoped to come out next year).

Much like the 2010 and up poll, I have used rateyourmusic to compile this list from their main albums category, and again with IQ I have a not that satisfactory inclusion with the 1998 album, but since I decided to include IQ I want it to be more than just two albums in the poll. I did choose to leave out a Marillion album listed in the RYM initial albums list (not lives, EPs, Singles etc.) which is a collaboration with Positive Light called Tales From the Engine Room [remixes].

IQ - Ever (1993)
IQ - Subterranea (1997)
IQ - Seven Stories Into 98 (1998)

Marillion - Holidays in Eden (1991)
Marillion - Brave (1994)
Marillion - Afraid of Sunlight (1995)
Marillion - This Strange Engine (1997)
Marillion - Radiation (1998)
Marillion - marillion.com (1999)

Swans - White Light From the Mouth of Infinity (1991)
Swans - Body to Body Job to Job (1991)
Swans - Love of Life (1992)
Swans - The Great Annihilator (1995)
Swans - Soundtracks for the Blind (1996)

Once again, please mention your favourite album in the list in a post, and a track from it that you really enjoy. I might make playlists out of these polls. Feel free to vote even if you only know one of these albums; it's not intended to be a contest.

The three albums on the list that I know and love best are all Swans: White Light From the Mouth of Infinity, The Great Annihilator and Soundtracks for the Blind. Each of those I love in its own way and each has been my favourite album at different times, and it's really hard to choose one (my fave Swans these days is the 1987 Children of God).

Today I vote for lengthy Soundtracks for the Blind, and for a track I will mention "The Sound" (due to Soundtracks length especially, it's going on two and a half hours, I am more likely to play White Light... and The Great Annihilator).

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2022 at 21:30
Marillion—This Strange Engine.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2022 at 21:43
Subterranea
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2022 at 01:18
Marillion - Holidays in Eden (1991) - Waiting to Happen
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2022 at 01:50
IQ: Ever

Darkest Hour (Shivers of emotion down my spine)

Edited by Jared - March 18 2022 at 06:58
Duddick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2022 at 04:12
Soundtracks for the Blind
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2022 at 06:54
IQ - Subterranea, the all album. Their best.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2022 at 07:18
Subterranea. IQ's masterpiece and an album which puts The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway into the also ran category.
Ever and Brave are also excellent.

Edited by Hercules - March 18 2022 at 07:19
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
EduTatsumi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EduTatsumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2022 at 23:23
1- Subterranea - Title Track
2- Brave - The Great Escape
3- Ever - Leap of Faith
bender99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bender99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2022 at 01:46
Album: IQ, Ever
Track: IQ, Leap Of Faith

Surprised at how many votes Subterranea has. It has some great tracks on it, but i've always considered it a bit of a patchy album, not quite up there with their best.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2022 at 11:04
Ever
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2022 at 16:42
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The three albums on the list that I know and love best are all Swans: White Light From the Mouth of Infinity, The Great Annihilator and Soundtracks for the Blind.
I'm no different from you here. Children of God was the first Swans I borrowed form a friend and the first I heard - while White Light From the Mouth of Infinity was the first I bought (soon after). I obsessed with them both for quite some time. It's one (or two) of those albums I know each and every second, sound, sentence, word... by heart. I have to go with the relatively straighforward folky tune that ends the latter album. It's just so beautiful... the whole atmosphere of it - like the whole album really. 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2022 at 17:05
If Brave doesn't win I'll eat my hat.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2022 at 21:04
In the minority of Marillion fans, I never really cared for Brave. I prefer the other albums by them from this decade. I think Holidays in Eden is underrated. But from this time period, I vote for marillion.com with favorite track "Interior Lulu". 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2022 at 08:17
^ I'm much on the same page regarding Brave and Marillion.com (see the 1999-2009 thread), less regarding Holidays in Eden, which I continue to find rather mediocre (to Marillion standards).

Here I also do like IQ's Ever and I consider Subterranea to be one of their best, but they also left me with the impression that something is missing or failing... (something undefinable, probably... is it spontaneity, is it over-production...?). Marillion was mostly just a notch better. Here I hesitate between Afraid of Sunlight and Marillion.com, but since I voted for the latter in the other thread, I go for AoS here - a great album on which they maintained some diversity (which, imo, is lacking on some of their other albums, including Brave), with some outstanding tracks like the title song and King.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2022 at 13:00
IQ - Ever (1993)
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2022 at 13:45
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

If Brave doesn't win I'll eat my hat.
Soak it in some good marinade first

Teunis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2022 at 14:16
IQ - Ever

Track: Leap Of Faith
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2022 at 19:22
argggggg!!

Can{t decide between Ever and Brave, two great and emotional albums
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2022 at 14:03
IQ, Subterranea, Sleepless Incidental.

Oh man that was hard. Ever and Brave are both so close! The Great Escape is such an amazing song!

I also have to mention It All Stops Here from SSI98, love that song so much!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>