Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1990 - 1999: IQ, Marillion, Swans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Vote for an album, mention it in a post, and mention a track from it
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [21.95%]
11 [26.83%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.88%]
8 [19.51%]
3 [7.32%]
2 [4.88%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.44%]
1 [2.44%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.44%]
3 [7.32%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1990 - 1999: IQ, Marillion, Swans
    Posted: July 09 2022 at 09:28
iq never -fading senses.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 00:59
1. Marillion - Brave
2. IQ - Subterranea
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2022 at 18:32
Brave Ever Subterranea Afraid and Engine
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2022 at 18:24
IQ - Subterranea
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2022 at 05:51
^ I'm enjoying that "Marouatte Jam", Cristi, thank you. :)

------------------------------------------------

Oh, by the way, while I wouldn't expect many here to appreciate "Helpless Child" to the extent that I do, hearing that is what first got me into Swans. I love the sort of layering and the way it builds. I don't quite know how to put it, but it's rather like how "Dirty Boy" turned me onto Cardiacs, but that Swans one is more the kind which I like to listen to with my eyes closed.

This Swans song (well, really "Blind" is an M. Gira "solo" release, who is the leader of Swans, song, but was added as a bonus to a CD release) is something that solidified my interest in exploring much more.

Edited by Logan - March 23 2022 at 06:08
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2022 at 01:58
Thanks for mentioning, Goodbye to All That, the whole epic is amazing and has a great atmosphere. 
And it all started with this jam 

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2022 at 20:45
Originally posted by Cambus741 Cambus741 wrote:

Subterrania has never done anything for me. 

Did you vote for anything else?

---------------------------------

Here I will mention with the longest song from the album of each band that has the most votes [the most votes for each band] for any who might not have heard all three of these albums:

IQ - The Narrow Margin

Marillion - Goodbye to All That

Swans - Helpless Child

Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2022 at 18:04
Subterrania has never done anything for me. 
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2022 at 14:03
IQ, Subterranea, Sleepless Incidental.

Oh man that was hard. Ever and Brave are both so close! The Great Escape is such an amazing song!

I also have to mention It All Stops Here from SSI98, love that song so much!!!
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2022 at 19:22
argggggg!!

Can{t decide between Ever and Brave, two great and emotional albums
Teunis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2022 at 14:16
IQ - Ever

Track: Leap Of Faith
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2022 at 13:45
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

If Brave doesn't win I'll eat my hat.
Soak it in some good marinade first

b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2022 at 13:00
IQ - Ever (1993)
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2022 at 08:17
^ I'm much on the same page regarding Brave and Marillion.com (see the 1999-2009 thread), less regarding Holidays in Eden, which I continue to find rather mediocre (to Marillion standards).

Here I also do like IQ's Ever and I consider Subterranea to be one of their best, but they also left me with the impression that something is missing or failing... (something undefinable, probably... is it spontaneity, is it over-production...?). Marillion was mostly just a notch better. Here I hesitate between Afraid of Sunlight and Marillion.com, but since I voted for the latter in the other thread, I go for AoS here - a great album on which they maintained some diversity (which, imo, is lacking on some of their other albums, including Brave), with some outstanding tracks like the title song and King.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2022 at 21:04
In the minority of Marillion fans, I never really cared for Brave. I prefer the other albums by them from this decade. I think Holidays in Eden is underrated. But from this time period, I vote for marillion.com with favorite track "Interior Lulu". 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2022 at 17:05
If Brave doesn't win I'll eat my hat.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2022 at 16:42
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The three albums on the list that I know and love best are all Swans: White Light From the Mouth of Infinity, The Great Annihilator and Soundtracks for the Blind.
I'm no different from you here. Children of God was the first Swans I borrowed form a friend and the first I heard - while White Light From the Mouth of Infinity was the first I bought (soon after). I obsessed with them both for quite some time. It's one (or two) of those albums I know each and every second, sound, sentence, word... by heart. I have to go with the relatively straighforward folky tune that ends the latter album. It's just so beautiful... the whole atmosphere of it - like the whole album really. 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2022 at 11:04
Ever
bender99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bender99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2022 at 01:46
Album: IQ, Ever
Track: IQ, Leap Of Faith

Surprised at how many votes Subterranea has. It has some great tracks on it, but i've always considered it a bit of a patchy album, not quite up there with their best.
EduTatsumi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EduTatsumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2022 at 23:23
1- Subterranea - Title Track
2- Brave - The Great Escape
3- Ever - Leap of Faith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>