Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Squid - Music Hall of Williamsburg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squid - Music Hall of Williamsburg
    Posted: March 24 2022 at 20:33
Last night - March 23rd, 2022 - I had the golden opportunity to catch the killer, angular, and mathy Windmill scene group Squid live at northern Brooklyn's own Music Hall of Williamsburg. Since there's been some well deserved buzz around the band here at PA I wish to share details of the wonderful experience.

The opening artist was Deliluh, a talented duo who've been supporting Squid across their current tour. Playing post-punk backed by thumping industrial beats and drum machines, they showed an impressive versatility in instrumentation and style across their by turns dour and excoriating set. My personal highlight of theirs was the unexpected saxophone solo in the middle of their performance.

Squid themselves showed their own eclecticism across their Bright Green Field heavy set, constantly switching instruments and going from brash songs to quieter jams and drones. They also debuted three new cuts - "Nines", "Sevens", and "Fugue" - and brought back the oft forgotten 2020 track "Sludge". Avalanches of creativity and power abounded, and Squid - and lead singer/drummer Ollie Judge in particular - showed an engaging humility and love of the performance, as well as an anecdote about catching sight of a Sopranos actor in an Italian restaurant the previous evening.

They switched up their setlist a tinge last night, moving "Pamphlets" from mid-set to closer coming almost directly off the climactic "Narrator" that heretofore was the last song of their shows this tour. The already engaged and energetic crowd took to moshing across the front and center of the pit across these now brilliantly welded cuts, with yours truly giving up a stagefront spot between Judge and Louis Borlase that I held for the rest of the set to join the fray. Suffice to say that Squid jumped up to one of my all time favorite live acts with their volcanic show.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2022 at 01:31
I’ve never seen them play live, but hope to remedy that someday. Squid’s album, though, was easily one of my most favourite releases of last year. Probably top five. I imagine all those who loved and raced about black midi, would likely enjoy Squid’s music just as much. 

Another from the same math/prog/post punk scene is Black Country, New Road. Between their album, black midi’s, and Squid’s, that’s probably most of my top five from last year. 😄🤪

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2022 at 01:44
I have Squid’s album on order and am thoroughly looking forward to hearing these guys - most especially after reading a thread like this
(Coincidentally the same order where two Black Country, New Road albums are hiding. Equally pumped for those guys)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2022 at 06:18
Been meaning to pick up that Squid album but haven’t yet. Definitely sounds good.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply