Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My New Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 37>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2022 at 12:39
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Listed as neo-prog on Prog Archives, I can say that Liz Truss's left breast is more neo than this band, so not a lot, really.

I sometimes think that in the past, like Xover, the Neo tag had been used as a bit of a dumping ground for bands that didn't quite 'fit' their natural label enough for some purists, such as Magenta, also residing in Neo.  Ermm  . Far be it for me to cast nasturtiums, but maybe they didn't have enough swirling 70's mellotron to be put in Symph... maybe if we clubbed together and bought Rob a cape?

I must confess, I didn't realise there was anything 'left' about Liz Truss. Maybe her breast suggests there is hope for us after all?

Well done on all your hard work Steve, it's becoming quite a formidable site...  Clap
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2022 at 13:21
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Listed as neo-prog on Prog Archives, I can say that Liz Truss's left breast is more neo than this band, so not a lot, really.

I sometimes think that in the past, like Xover, the Neo tag had been used as a bit of a dumping ground for bands that didn't quite 'fit' their natural label enough for some purists, such as Magenta, also residing in Neo.  Ermm  . Far be it for me to cast nasturtiums, but maybe they didn't have enough swirling 70's mellotron to be put in Symph... maybe if we clubbed together and bought Rob a cape?

I must confess, I didn't realise there was anything 'left' about Liz Truss. Maybe her breast suggests there is hope for us after all?

Well done on all your hard work Steve, it's becoming quite a formidable site...  Clap

A lot of the nonsense about sub-genre additions was to do with Ivan, who I found bloody unpleasant and about the only person on the site I was more than happy to continue rowing with publicly.

As for Ms Truss, I despair. Having said that, I also despair about the other lot. It is time for a fundamental change of the sort that only comes about generationally, the last one being Thatcher, and perhaps HMQ passing is a marker of this?

Many thanks for the comments re the site. I love it and it has given me a whole new impetus in writing and thinking about music. The HOGIA interview has gone down very well, which is fantastic. I will be emailing Rob this week now I have a bit of time.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2022 at 13:41

As for Ms Truss, I despair. Having said that, I also despair about the other lot. It is time for a fundamental change of the sort that only comes about generationally, the last one being Thatcher, and perhaps HMQ passing is a marker of this?

Many of us do despair. Surely anyone from the outside, neutrally dissecting our society economically must come to the conclusion that any 'benefits' gained from the shrinking of the state through free-market economics has long run its course, the result being it has made society more unequal now that at any time since the 1920's... yet all she seems to want to do is lower taxes, shrink the state and double down on free market ideology, all of which will make society more polarised.

Until the armies of Daily Mail reading, property and share portfolio owning, final salary pension beneficiaries living in the Shires, stop sending in their blue tinged postal ballots in their millions every election, there will sadly be no change and young teachers, nurses and social workers will be forced to continue to pay them £1000 per month out of their salaries in rent.

Right, glad I've got that off my chest.... Embarrassed
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2022 at 07:09
It's nice to return to Lazland with my morning cuppa. Smile The nice Radiohead video begs a question: Why did the band abandon prog? What would have resulted if they stayed in that mode? I thought we were on the way to greater things. Pity.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2022 at 09:40
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

It's nice to return to Lazland with my morning cuppa. Smile The nice Radiohead video begs a question: Why did the band abandon prog? What would have resulted if they stayed in that mode? I thought we were on the way to greater things. Pity.

Thanks, Steve Smile Yes, I agree re Radiohead, although I did really enjoy Kid A.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2022 at 10:02
I agree. Kid A was very good but I would have loved a few more albums in the prog vain of OK Computer, before the band went on to other things. Perhaps they felt that they couldn't progress from OK Computer and made the change. I can definitely understand that type of thinking.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2022 at 13:34

A review of the exceptional Firmament by Dim Gray added to Album Reviews 2022 Page. A work approaching genius. Simply scroll down to the bottom of the page. It includes three of the tracks, and all of them are well worth watching and listening to.

Ale of the Week added to Beer & News Page.

Video of the Week – Mike Oldfield – I Give Myself Away

I am hoping to get a review of Ghost of the Machine out this week, work and beer commitments permitting.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2022 at 09:14
Sorry if I'm a bit behind, Steve, but I've been enjoying The Buried Storm by Darkher (Jayn Maiven) per your suggestions. The music and soundscapes are absolutely haunting, which I supposed they're meant to be, and do keep themselves locked in the mind. For days! Damn good stuff!

Edited by SteveG - September 13 2022 at 09:35
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2022 at 11:14

Sorry if I'm a bit behind, Steve, but I've been enjoying The Buried Storm by Darkher (Jayn Maiven) per your suggestions. The music and soundscapes are absolutely haunting, which I supposed they're meant to be, and do keep themselves locked in the mind. For days! Damn good stuff!

Blimey, you are a bit behind, old chap!

I am glad that you like it. It is a really good album, dripping with atmosphere, a real highlight of the year and yet another album which really should be here on PA and yet isn’t.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 10:09

A review of Ghost of the Machine debut album, Scissorgames, a slab of retro prog, is posted on Album Reviews 2022 Page. Simply scroll down to the bottom, and whilst doing so, why not take a peek at some of the other wonderful reviews you pass?

Historical reviews project continues with 1999 reviews featuring Yes, Marillion, The Wishing Tree, King Crimson, Fish, Dream Theater, and Mike Oldfield.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 12:45

I am glad that you like it. It is a really good album, dripping with atmosphere, a real highlight of the year and yet another album which really should be here on PA and yet isn’t.
It is on PA. 😜

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 17:02
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

It is on PA. 😜

Oh bugger! Well, I think I was slightly correct in that there are no collab reviews of the new album.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2022 at 01:20

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

It is on PA. 😜

Oh bugger! Well, I think I was slightly correct in that there are no collab reviews of the new album.

If I ever get around to writing reviews for PA, I will do so - as it is a great album. But thus far, my only reviews on PA are copy and paste jobs from my TPA reviews. I’m more behind than Steve, as I’ve not even found time yet to read your Darkher review. I plan to try and find time to catch up on your blog tomorrow.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2022 at 12:29

Ale of the Week added to Beer & News Page.

Video of the Week is Watch It Burn by the late, great David Longdon from his forthcoming posthumous solo album to be released next month on English Electric.

What with the Bank Holiday in the UK (Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral) and preparing for some major interviews on the website, a quiet update this evening. Why don’t you make up for it by browsing some of the fantastic content which came before? I have reviewed 57 albums released in 2022, there is a great new interview with Malcolm Galloway of Hats Off Gentlemen It’s Adequate, lots of beery stuff, and some classic album reviews as well.

There are upcoming interviews with The Round Window and Chest Rockwell to be published in the next week and Built for the Future in the next month. Further, an interview is being planned with Ghost of the Machine whose debut album was reviewed last week – see Album Reviews 2022 Page.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 06:18
Hi Steve, 

I'm really digging the new David longdon vid and eagerly awaiting release of the new album next month. It has a bit of a Porcupine Tree feel and really grabs me. Such a great loss, but we can honor David by enjoying his last release.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 09:50

Hi Steve, 

I'm really digging the new David longdon vid and eagerly awaiting release of the new album next month. It has a bit of a Porcupine Tree feel and really grabs me. Such a great loss, but we can honor David by enjoying his last release.

Absolutely, and the live BBT release is now imminent.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 10:03

Absolutely, and the live BBT release is now imminent.
Clap Great news!

Edited by SteveG - September 23 2022 at 10:04
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 15:43
Review of debut album Sever by Dutch outfit Inhalo added to Album Reviews 2022 Page. This is an exceptional album dealing with the issue of anxiety, something I am intimately familiar with. It is a cracking album, so enjoy.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 19:13

Review of debut album Sever by Dutch outfit Inhalo added to Album Reviews 2022 Page. This is an exceptional album dealing with the issue of anxiety, something I am intimately familiar with. It is a cracking album, so enjoy.

To quote U2's best song "I Will Follow", I just downloaded this and will inspect it with passionate calm. I thankfully have never had a panic attack, nor would I care to, having seen many a friend and family member go through this debilitating torture. I guess having been a sabre fencer in my teens helped me to feel resolutely zen, I am not sure.
Thanks again Laz. Star
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2022 at 02:13
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

To quote U2's best song "I Will Follow", I just downloaded this and will inspect it with passionate calm. I thankfully have never had a panic attack, nor would I care to, having seen many a friend and family member go through this debilitating torture. I guess having been a sabre fencer in my teens helped me to feel resolutely zen, I am not sure.
Thanks again Laz. Star

Thank you Thomas - you will love that album.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 37>