3 [3.80%]
2 [2.53%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Best 25 Fantasy Movies of All Time
    Posted: March 30 2022 at 15:36
I again used a list. Please send your complaints to the site. I'll give its link as always. Here it is: http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2018/the-25-best-fantasy-movies-of-all-time/

Multiple votes are allowed.

the-exquisite-fantasy-film-background-01-vector-178942
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2022 at 16:57
Damn, tough choices!

Lord of the Rings, Willie, Wizard, and Harry.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2022 at 17:01
Jason from this list, not to mention Mysterious Island and 7th Voyage of Sinbad.

I would also include The Birds even if it's not considered 'fantasy'.

Edited by Atavachron - March 31 2022 at 00:33
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2022 at 22:40
Heh this was one easy compared to the other one as I feel Pan’s Labyrinth is the best flick here by quite a margin. That’s not to say that there aren’t plenty of other great options here
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2022 at 00:18
The two Labyrinths are easily my two favourites from this list by a VERY looooooong way.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2022 at 03:20
Not my favorite movie genre, but Pan's Labyrinth was really good. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2022 at 03:29
Pan’s Labyrinth was very excellent I think, and quite horrific at times but then the fantasy world of that was more the girl's escapism and I think of it as more of a drama than fantasy genre in a way, in that I don't think of it as really being of a magical world but more along the lines of a Walter Mitty kind of fantasising scenario.

Lots I like here, but I will vote for my top three, all of which are amongst my very favourite films.

Pan’s Labyrinth
The Dark Crystal
Time Bandits

And actually, I will give Spirited Away a vote as well. I have watched that many times. And I will give Excalibur a vote as well.

Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2022 at 03:32
Spirited Away is my favorite movie of all time, so I have to go with that one Smile
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2022 at 04:29
I can't be much of a fantasy movie fan as none of these would get in my top 20 films of all time. I voted for Time Bandits as that's a hoot.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2022 at 06:21
The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T (1953)
I wonder how many people here even know this movie?
I remember having nightmares about this one after I saw it on a Saturday afternoon movie show in the mid sixties. I was probably 7 at the time. It has always stuck with me. Maybe it's why I'm into keyboard music so much. LOL

Best??
Lord Of the Rings
Princess Bride
The Wizard of Oz
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2022 at 08:34
 Hard to beat the Lord of the Rings movies but I'm going to throw a bone to Excalibur here. I thought that was a pretty good version of the King Arthur story. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2022 at 10:31
I pity the fool who doesn't vote for The Dark Crystal.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2022 at 10:38
^ Pity me, then. Wink
Fantasy films are not my preferred genre. Actually, in general all those Lord of the Rings and Harry Potters, be it in literature or in film, leave me completely indifferent. But from this list, there is an all time classic that easily stands above all of the rest, in my humble opinion: Ugetsu monogatari!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2022 at 11:12
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I remember having nightmares about this one after I saw it on a Saturday afternoon movie show in the mid sixties. I was probably 7 at the time. It has always stuck with me. Maybe it's why I'm into keyboard music so much. LOL

Best??
Lord Of the Rings
Princess Bride
The Wizard of Oz

Apparently Dr. Seuss wrote the 50,000 of Dr.T. 
Oh how I never seen this movie.
Oh how if I saw it. 
Then this movie probably is a hit. 

Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2022 at 12:15
Pan's Labyrinth and Spirited Away. Other good ones here, but these 2 are outstanding.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2022 at 14:08
In general the LOTR-films is a rare gem and a pinickle of fantasy film production. It is what Ridley Scott did with Gladiator but tenfolds more grandiose. But the most importnt film.to me is The Neverending Story, it is the most important and impactfull film since The Wizard of Oz. So my vote is the Neverending Story andits early impact on me.

Edited by Icarium - April 01 2022 at 14:09
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2022 at 19:58
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Oh we know it... at least those of us who watched old movies in the '70s,

extraordinary film  --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiBiXMvhp0o

https://www.reddit.com/r/sheetmusic/comments/nxo342/r_im_looking_for_piano_sheet_music_for_ten_happy/

Edited by Atavachron - April 03 2022 at 00:26
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2022 at 00:26
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/Wizards-movie-poster-md.jpg

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2022 at 19:22
Did anyone else catch the late 30s- 40s Hollywood riff on heroin addiction in "The Wizard of Oz" ?
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2022 at 00:22
^ No--  but I do know Buddy Ebsen, the original Tin Man, nearly died from the aluminum powder they covered him with.   Nasty stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>