Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can a non Italian band be RPI?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2022 at 17:36
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

If these guys aren't Italian, then, Yes, there is such thing as a non-Italian RPI band.

On the other hand, if they were misidentified as Italian, then it could be said that their RPI classification was an error.

I listened to the album. It sounds RPI to me. I own 300 RPI albums. Classic and Modern. 
That said, I would rate this album a two.  However, if the members must live in Italy and be Italian, then perhaps it is NOT RPI.  

Depends on the definition of RPI.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2022 at 18:15
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

No, because RPI isn't even a real subgenre. It's simply a special category for mostly symphonic prog from Italy. Personally i don't think it should exist and band's like Area certainly shouldn't be in it at all but this was established way before i ever found the site so it adds an interesting flavor to the site. You will notice that EVERY artist listed in that category is from Italy.
I understand where you're coming from. I think. But I'm quite happy with RPI. Its practical. Except when bands like Area - which obviously belongs in either Avant/RIO or Jazz-Rock Fusion are placed in RPI just because they are an italian band.
I think the creation of RPI as a genre reflects the tremendous level of respect we have for the quality and originality of that limited sphere of bands. It really can’t be recreated properly outside that sphere, almost by definition. I’m glad we have it, it’s a frequent reminder of how special it is/can be.

Of course, that argument begs the counter-argument of “well, then why not a separate designation for every country with an active prog scene, like Sweden?” To which I say, “I have to go now.”

Edited by HolyMoly - April 04 2022 at 12:19
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2022 at 09:49
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

No, because RPI isn't even a real subgenre. It's simply a special category for mostly symphonic prog from Italy. Personally i don't think it should exist and band's like Area certainly shouldn't be in it at all but this was established way before i ever found the site so it adds an interesting flavor to the site. You will notice that EVERY artist listed in that category is from Italy.
I understand where you're coming from. I think. But I'm quite happy with RPI. Its practical. Except when bands like Area - which obviously belongs in either Avant/RIO or Jazz-Rock Fusion are placed in RPI just because they are an italian band.
I think the creation of RPI as a genre reflects the tremendous level of respect we have for the quality and originality of that limited sphere of bands. It really can’t be recreated properly outside that sphere, almost by definition. I’m glad we have it, it’s a frequent reminder of how special it is/can be.

Of course, that argument begs the counter-argument of “well, then why not a separate designation for every country with an active prog scene, like Sweden?” To which I say, “I have to go now.”

Lol. Well, there is "Krautrock" but I think there should be a better term. Not all German prog is Krautrock just like not all Italian prog is RPI. But my initial question was wondering how much all of that has to do with the country vs the sound. In my opinion if we are talking about a sound then the country's name should not be mentioned or implied. Therefore I think there should be other names for these subgenres or else not make it limited to having to be from one specific country. However, that's not say you can't say something like Swedish prog, American prog, South American prog, etc. The difference is that these aren't considered genres (or subgenres) and shouldn't be. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 08 2022 at 09:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123