2 [6.25%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [9.38%]
5 [15.63%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Foreign Films
    Posted: April 07 2022 at 15:36
I will pick the Czech film Daisies(Strange art film about two girls and their outlandish behavior), French films Breathless(Made me think of Pulp Fiction), Umbrellas of Cherbourg(Beautiful and colorful movie. Has style and substance), and Celine and Julie Go Boating(Very satisfying three hours of time spent), and one to choose that is not on this list would probably be House of Flying Daggers(Interesting Chinese romance that got me hooked when watching it). I did not like Rules of the Game that much, I know it is supposed to be a masterpiece, but it did not strike me. An honorable mention would also be The Holy Mountain, because of how it reminded me of Monty Python and Luis Bunuel, and also spoke to me in a way(Stop trying to achieve immortality and enjoy your life as is). 

Also, the format of the poll is (Name of Film) - (Name of Director) 

I just named multiple films from nations for this. There are so many foreign films to choose from as well. 

Edited by SuperMetro - April 07 2022 at 15:38
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2022 at 16:10
I have only seen 6 of these.
Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa) gets my nod.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2022 at 23:45
Satantango
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2022 at 08:32
Hi,

I don't think I can EVER decide which one I like best ... check out my website and see 500 reviews of which 400 of them belong to foreign films of all kinds and there are too many things out there, to be able to make a real choice of something more special than any other.

I kinda "grew up" loving Bunuel and Godard, mostly because of their I don't give a poop about what you think and always create something that violated your idea of what a movie, or idea, or this or that should be ... and it was always fun to watch. from a film that goes around all the characters heads to a film claiming "FREEDOM" (shouted just like Marlon Brando) and ending in a murder ... well, into a painting, anyway! I still cherish that vision ... but then, he had started with the picture of Jesus laughing some 40 years earlier (something like that) and even had a fantastic last supper on one film, so it was hard to now appreciate the humor in the whole thing. Godard was funny in that he disliked the mechanical attitude about making films and his camera, and everything else were always "independent" to the point that the characters go left, and the camera goes right and he tells you that their talk is boring and maybe we will find something better over here! That's a lot of fun, although it throws us off because it is not a Hollywood crapper at all, and film school doesn't like to talk about it because it destroys their idea of "what film should be", specially in America!

There is a lot to like. The literary/novel like idea of some films by Berri (specially Jean and Manon), and then the visual designs for Kurosawa, someone that had massive fights with Japanese folks because they didn't want art films, they wanted money and he went out and got money everywhere else except in his own country and in the end ... he is remembered and they are all just idiots that no one knows otherwise.

Bergman is special in the sense, that few folks knew how to make an actor look better, although I really think that this was more of a design by Nykvist than it was Bergman's, and the cinematographer made the detail in the film better, and Bergman allowed for the visual to linger a bit more which gave the films an incredible emotional edge that surprised a lot of folks.

Fellini, for me, was more about how to tell the Italians to go to hell, and leave the __________ behind, and no scene EVER tells me more about him, than the opening of INTERVISTA which you must see ... that kid is Fellini ... and we still don't get it ... the kid would never know or understand what all the hoopla and bullsheepdip was all about ... and that in itself is neat and special! We still don't look at films that well, when we see this! It's not about this or that ... it's about your kid having to do what he must ... regardless!

Too many things.

One special director ... Pedro Olea, and one film specially ... THE FENCING MASTER which is such a magnificent film, and I wish that the Spanish authorities had enough class to re-issue that film properly and make it available for an English audience. Without that the film is dead on its tracks and it's not only beautiful, it is tightly directed, clean and far out ... not to mention the best fencing film EVER made that had nothing to do with showing off like Hollywood!

Edited by moshkito - April 08 2022 at 08:32
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2022 at 02:30
For we non-Americans, American films are foreign films Ermm
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2022 at 02:52
The problem with this list is that chronologically, by and large this list stops around the mid 70's... has there been no quality World Cinema made during the past 45 years?
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2022 at 03:31
Lol - foreign films. Anyway, my favorite foreign film could be either The Shining, Sunset Boulevard or Mulholland Drive... These foreigners certainly made a lot of great movies, so that's really just scratching the surface.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2022 at 03:44
I really dig Milos Forman and this is indeed one of his best flicks. Pure genius.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2022 at 10:06
Oh yes, there are many American (USA) films amongst my favorite foreign films! I could vote for every film on this current list, except Les parapluies de Cherbourg (I'm not fan of musicals, especially when they sing everything, including "I'm going to get the butter from the fridge..." - ridiculous).
Because I could vote for all, I will single out just one, because it is one of those tremendous works of art that hardly anyone has seen: Bela Tarr's Satantango!

Edited by suitkees - April 15 2022 at 10:07

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2022 at 10:50
There are too many favourites to mention amongst American foreign films, so I'll be avant-garde by choosing a French film instead, directed by Claude Lelouche and featuring James Caan (surprisingly!), which I've chosen solely for the spectacular bolero scene at the end. Smile

Les Uns et Les Autres (One and the Other) (1981)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 15 2022 at 10:51
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 03:03
I've seen maybe half of the list, but don't remember them all very well. Voted M. 
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 08:22
For anyone thinking about watching "M" -- don't watch the American version. Watch the original Fritz Lang German version and enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 09:01
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

For anyone thinking about watching "M" -- don't watch the American version. Watch the original Fritz Lang German version and enjoy.

I didn't even know the Americans remade it, but I'm not surprised TBH. 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 09:06
^^ I think Michael Haneke's 'Funny Games' (USA Version) has to be the most singularly pointless remake.. practically shot for shot, line for line, when the original German/Austrian version was perfectly adequate..  
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 11:15
These are among of my favourite foreign films Wink

A Hard Day's Night
All the President's Men
Amadeus
Att Angöra en Brygga (Docking the Boat)
Das Boot (The Boat)
Citizen Kane
Dr. Strangelove
Ed Wood
Das Leben der Anderen (The Lives of Others)
M
Modern Times
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Monty Python's Life of Brian
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Shrek
This is Spinal Tap
Todo Sobre mi Madre (All About my Mother)
Der Untergang (The Downfall)

Edited by The Anders - April 18 2022 at 11:16
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 13:05
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

For we non-Americans, American films are foreign films Ermm

Hi,

LOVE IT!

I don't usually review many "Hollywood" films, because there are so many reviews and they are all chartbusters, and everyone has seen it anyway. 

Just recently I picked up the book "Altman on Altman" and it was a fascinating read for me, considering how much I have been busy with writing a book on improvisation, and while I had never really enjoyed Altman for some reason or other, I can now see the reason why ... it was intentionally done that way to break apart the conventions of film in America ... and they had more improvisation than we could ever conceive, and this also included the camera and other elements of the film, including giving actors the wrong lines. Lots of fun to read! Massive fun!

But in general, I don't mind seeing things like Pulp Fiction, but it bothers me that Jean-Luc Godard is not even appreciated in America, but a Hollywood film can copy and make fun of it (cheeseburger is one, and that is done more than once in Godard films!) ... but no one will bother to check the originals and find how it was that the copy came about ... more or less!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 13:11
While Aotearoa has had plenty of damn fine films, most of my favourite films do tend to be foreign films, simply because there are far more foreign films that I’ve seen, than NZ films!

This is possibly the worst thought out title for a poll that I’ve seen! 😄🤪🤪

It’s got me wondering, though, if some of my favourite films are Kiwi…. 🤔

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 13:32
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

While Aotearoa has had plenty of damn fine films, most of my favourite films do tend to be foreign films, simply because there are far more foreign films that I’ve seen, than NZ films!

My favourite NZ film is Perfect Strangers: a thriller starring Sam Neill & Rachael Blake. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 13:48
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

My favourite NZ film is Perfect Strangers: a thriller starring Sam Neill & Rachael Blake. 

I’ve not seen that one. Sam Neill has definitely been in many good Kiwi films, though…

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 18:54
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

A Hard Day's Night

Hi,

40 years later, and after being thoroughly familiar with THE GOON SHOW, and its sound antics, I find that this film is a visualization of a lot of things that Spike Milligan had created for THE GOON SHOW 10 years earlier, but was never accredited, since it was RADIO, and you used your imagination on these sound bits. But seeing it on film, was not as much fun ... something was missing ... a bit of the soul and spirit behind it.

Spike Milligan in an interview once stated that it was all taken from the show, and I did not really thought about it, then, until I saw it again a few years ago, after hearing that same interview with Spike by accident and all of a sudden, wow ... a total visual interpretation of the sound effects!

Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Dr. Strangelove

I still think that this is the best of Stanley Kubrick's films, and I am not sure this film would have gotten off the ground so well, without Peter Sellers, who obviously created the characters on his own more than likely and was allowed the freedom to flow, since it was one of his specialties, and it showed in the ending sequences on the wheel chair ... but there were other really fun performances, and George C. Scott is an incredible highlight, as is Sterling Hayden and Slim Pickens. And the film is just full of really juicy bits!

Some wonderful stuff listed, btw!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>