Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why Isn't Chicago (the band) Considered Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2022 at 10:02
By the year 2050, all rock subgenres will be considered prog, along with Bluegrass, C&W, and Gregorian Chants.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2022 at 10:20
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

By the year 2050, all rock subgenres will be considered prog, along with Bluegrass, C&W, and Gregorian Chants.

For their sake I hope not. Wink
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2022 at 11:21
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

A mammal, a pulse and a chord beyond a triad = Prog.  All joking aside I enjoy 'early' Chicago but they don't belong on PA. Ditto the Allman Brothers, the Grateful Dead (the pulse is optional), Cream plus all the usual suspects that are dredged up periodically in threads like this. Not being on PA doesn't make their music any less accomplished or enjoyable.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 05:54
I drove around Chicago and ended up in Oconomowoc. They had a leak and handed me a soft pretzel.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 05:55
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I drove around Chicago and ended up in Oconomowoc. They had a leak and handed me a soft pretzel.

LOL
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 09:01
No reason to mention when you saw them in the 80s... They became a completely different band after Terry's death, but even toward his end, he was writing straight rock stuff (Takin It On Uptown). In the 80s, (the minute Foster became the producer, any music would have sounded like sh*t - trendy 80s engineering/production) they became a sh*tty pop 80s synth drum garbage. Like my favorite band Pink Floyd. But Roger wrote most of their stuff, while Pankow (trombone) wrote more than Kath.

And, it's not like there aren't prog bands who didn't have pop stuff somewhere in the album. It doesn't have to be a 3 minute song to be pop. And there's nothing wrong with an eclectic album, especially when you have so many members, writers, and singers.... Pink Floyd had some pop, too. "Take Five" has a catchy melody and counter-melody between Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2022 at 06:05
You can hear the 70s internet on this song.. Surely, THIS is prog by anyone's standards (on here)...
Seriously, give it a chance.

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2022 at 06:16
Given that a number of people do not consider jazz rock / fusion to be prog, I suppose one should ask the question: Is Chicago (the band) jazz rock / fusion?

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2022 at 09:59
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Given that a number of people do not consider jazz rock / fusion to be prog, I suppose one should ask the question: Is Chicago (the band) jazz rock / fusion?

Some songs, yes. Everyone in the band wrote, and many of the time, it was written for someone else (although Cetera never gave someone a song, except the verse for Terry on "Wishing You Were Here"), and almost everyone sang, except for Walt and Danny (who has a few co-writing credits on hits, and then a song like "Devil's Sweet" so there's a lot of different things happening.  I can't listen to 80s Chicago unfortunately. Especially by 82. David Foster brought in the worst sound possible.

Devil's Sweet (it's prog to me... but if you don't think so, I'd love to see your classification, etc.. I don't take any of this personally)

Edited by MortSahlFan - May 11 2022 at 10:03

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2022 at 04:56
Lots of time changes in this one.

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2022 at 12:26
Progwise, give or take, I'd say that they are about 25 or 6 to 4.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2022 at 13:57
If they were English there's a good chance they'd be considered prog (or at least more prog). Then again Traffic are English and they aren't always considered prog either. 
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2022 at 17:42
IMHO, some Chicago is jazz-rock fusion and a fraction of people who enjoy Prog also like jazz-rock fusion. I had a roommate who loved Chicago, and I found the music to be pleasant enough. As a captive audience, I learned much of their catalog. I guess it is a question for the jazz rock fusion folks. If PA is promoting that category, then the question is a perfectly valid one. Toto falls into that category to a certain extent as well. Of course, some will pooh-pooh both outright, but the question is not outlandish.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2022 at 10:30
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

I'll say it again.. I'm talking about TERRY KATH Chicago... f**k the future garbage.

Listen to the first albums.

Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2022 at 11:03
I'm not an expert but I listened to enough to realize that their pop songs were just a way for them to keep recording the jazz rock pieces.  As long as jazz rock is considered prog, so are Chicago IMO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234