Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which songs do you confirm are played to death?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which songs do you confirm are played to death?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJA-K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which songs do you confirm are played to death?
    Posted: April 19 2022 at 02:33
Many songs are played over and over. Which ones do you agree are played to death, so much so you can't find the enjoyment from them as you did?

Mine are:
- Money
- Hocus Pocus
- 21st Century Schizoid Man
- Bohemian Rhapsody
- Imagine

Note: I still think these are objectively great songs. 

Edited by WJA-K - April 19 2022 at 03:40
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 03:21
For my Money, I'd say Bohemian Rhapsody is a strong contender for the most played song of all time, although I Imagine John Lennon might have something to say about that. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 04:49
I don't listen to the radio that much but I can't think of many stations that would play the first 3 much. Bo Rap and Imagine are obviously played a lot but if you listen to Magic or Smooth in the UK, I would guess Baker Street is the most played song. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 04:50
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

For my Money, I'd say Bohemian Rhapsody is a strong contender for the most played song of all time, although I Imagine John Lennon might have something to say about that. Smile

I'm afraid I have some bad news for you regarding Mr Lennon. Wink
WJA-K View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WJA-K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 04:51
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I don't listen to the radio that much but I can't think of many stations that would play the first 3 much. Bo Rap and Imagine are obviously played a lot but if you listen to Magic or Smooth in the UK, I would guess Baker Street is the most played song. 
Maybe it's even played to death by oneself? I played Money far too much I guess.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 05:49
I guess your list is pretty much accurate, though I still enjoy these songs quite a lot. The “played to death” label does not really apply to me, since, when I like a song, I don’t loose my taste for it, at least not very often. Some of the Beatles songs, like yesterday for example, have been also played way too much for some people, but I still find them enjoyable. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 06:07
Originally posted by WJA-K WJA-K wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Maybe it's even played to death by oneself? I played Money far too much I guess.

There are a few songs I have played too much, most of The Joshua Tree for example.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 06:26
OP: I'm not sure I'd agree with "Hocus Pocus" being "played to death." I don't hear it on the radio/streaming sites at all. 

I agree with you that all songs cited are deserving of their attention and acclaim.
Add to the list:
"Solsbury Hill"
"Living in the Past"
"Nights in White Satin"
"Comfortably Numb" and "Another Brick in the Wall" 

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 06:46
Played to death?

I would say Mozart's Requiem...
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 06:58
Always happy to hear these.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 10:22
Every Breath You Take...

Though that is actually a great song, and one that is much darker than most people think
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 12:21
Based upon my own radio listening, I suggest:

a) "Money" and "Brick in the Wall" by PF 

b) "Stairway" by Led Zeppelin 

c)  "Champions" by Queen

I'd enjoy hearing more Focus! 

Edited by cstack3 - April 19 2022 at 12:21
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 12:24
No song I enjoy is EVER played to death. It's just on heavy rotation !

Maybe The Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 12:26
  Most already mentioned, to which I'll add "Owner of a Lonely Heart", anything popular by Boston, and most of side one of Moving Pictures.  Plenty more, too!  This is why I stopped generally tuning in to pop or classic rock radio a long time ago: its the same stuff played over and over and over again!

I can still enjoy overplayed tunes, but usually only in three situations: when heard by chance (in a gym, or some public place), or in videos: it can be good to watch a band play, or see someone react in a reaction video. For the good reaction videos (there are plenty of fakey/shallow ones) it can remind you of the first time you heard a tune, and/or it can just be nice to see someone unfamiliar with a great tune appreciate it.

Edited by zwordser - April 19 2022 at 12:27
Z
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 14:40
Put PF's "another brick in the wall part 2" on that list too and also a few other PF song(half of DSOTM for example). And while I hate to say it, "limelight,""spirit of radio" and "Tom Sawyer" have also been played to death. The truth is most classic rock songs have been played to death. That's why these days I prefer the deep tracks channel on sirius xm otherwise I'll just play the proper album where the played out songs sound ok in their proper context.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 19 2022 at 14:42
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 16:49
The more I think about it, any song that we could list as "played to death" probably has deserved their heavy play rotation: they're great songs. It's truly rare that I would turn the radio station from any of the above songs (except maybe "Money"--never liked that song)--even "Tom Sawyer" (not a Rush fan). And like Cstack says, I would enjoy hearing anything/everything by Focus if it came on! 

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 18:05
There are entire discographries that I've overplayed......catalogues from bands I loved as a kid but haven't put on in yonks 'cause I've known every note of every one of their albums by heart since I was a teenager!  I'm sure many of us have been there - I'm jealous of those who haven't heard what I personally believe to be overplayed.  

Then there are those albums that we play only at the most special of occasions lest they become overplayed......lest they lose their magic.....lest they become just another brick in the wall.  

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 20:45
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 21:54
I don't really get bothered by overplay much, at least not over a long period of time. Yes, if a song comes on I've heard just tons and tons and tons before on the radio, I'll probably change the station, even if I like the song, but not always. Some songs that I've heard a gazillion times just don't lose their charm on that gazillion and first time.  For example: I can hear Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin any time and I won't mind. That riff and those drum fills are just bound to get me going.  Now, Jack And Diane by John Mellencamp? Look, it's a great song, and I love the riff even more knowing Mick Ronson composed it... but I think for the past while I've been a bit Mellencamped-out, especially Jack And Diane... with that chili dogs lyric... yuck.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 22:38
^I wonder if that chili dog lyric is some kind of double entendre? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>