Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The generic prog rock song stereotype?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 19:39
there are WAY too many to mention ---but none by the great bands---who were the trailblazers ---
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2022 at 11:51
More than thinking about generic prog rock stereotypes, I find it easier to think about bands that have become TOO much like themselves. With this I mean bands that have taken their style to a logical end or have found a style that is pleasing to most of their fans and then continued composing in that exact same style for the rest of their careers, thereby becoming cliched versions of their own past selves.

This happens a lot. However, I do think some people enjoy this and would rather have their bands repeat themselves instead of exploring new directions. Some bands even make come-back albums and are praised for just adhering to what they used to do before they switched gears.

Take Pure Reason Revolution, for example. They are currently being praised for going back to their prog roots and exploring the sounds and ideas found on their debut album further. I love these guys and I'm guilty of enjoying the fact that they've made a comeback via a throwback.

File this under "a song so epic that by the end of the song you are actually being influenced by yourself at the beginning of the song."

Edited by Tasartir - April 27 2022 at 11:51
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2022 at 14:51
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I can't even listen to later versions of Jesus Christ Superstar after first hearing the splendid original album (1972), and that goes for the Caiaphas scene....

And that version is now available in a 50th anniversary 3 CD box set. It's on my wish list.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2022 at 16:50
With all due respect, almost any song written by the late Trent Gardner was cliche, generic and stereotype. That doesn't mean I don't like it, though.
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2022 at 09:01
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Prog is nothing more than an abbreviation of the word "progressive". The two are precisely equivalent.

Yep.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2022 at 23:39
^I mean, they CAN be. But I choose to differentiate them as a style vs. an idea so as to make it easier when I'm delineating between the two concepts. It's still all subjective.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12