Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Immersive/Escapist Bands/Album

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ankhora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Immersive/Escapist Bands/Album
    Posted: May 16 2022 at 10:03
There are bands that when you go back and listen they provide a sense of wonder and new discovery every time you go back and listen. The feelings they evoke are those of going on a grand adventure with rewards and perils that become more of a joy with repeated listens.

Who do ya'll consider to be the masters of adventure prog that envelope the listener in a world that is a joy to escape into?

Here is a recent discovery that I adore... Wobbler
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 10:51
Magma. The world of Kobaïa can be a strange and beautiful place.

No doubt some would rather escape from that world than to it.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
ankhora View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ankhora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 11:26
Awesome thanks... yeah Magma is super unique!

Edited by ankhora - May 16 2022 at 11:36
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 13:16
Adventure prog. Do you mean a concept album? Or, do you mean that the songs tell a story from one location to another?

I love the idea. I've always wanted to work on an adventure album that fuses together song, soundtrack, and location.

With concept albums, the problem is that an idea that sounds great for one song may not hold up for an entire album. If the concept can be viewed from different perspectives, then it can work ... like Rush's Power Windows. But, that doesn't really tell an adventure.

Gretchen Goes to Nebraska by King's X seems to start off doing something like that, and they even provide a kind of back-story. But, then it has several songs that sound like independent songs and depart from the overall adventure. The adventure gets going with the song Out of the Silent Planet, but then it kind of ends with Out of the Silent Planet. Sonically, the songs belong together, but the adventure seems to get lost.

Loreena McKennitt has some albums that almost take you on a medieval adventure. The Book of Secrets is a nice one. But, they tend to set the mood rather than progress from one location to the next in a logical way.

The Snow Goose by Camel is also kind of an adventure, or at least it feels that way sometimes.

Can you be a bit more descriptive of what you mean? This has aroused my curiosity.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 13:33

To me that would certainly include a vast amount of bands at the time of the first half of the 70's when they made the great classics, 
and being from a large number of countries but not least UK, Italy, Germany, France, USA, Spain and Poland.

Edited by David_D - May 16 2022 at 16:29
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 14:04
A recent discovery of mine-Polish band Skaldowie
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 14:19
Pat Metheny and Allan Holdsworth both come to mind as music that envelopes the listener in a world that is a joy to escape into. 
Hewitt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hewitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 14:30
Gong created an entire mythology that is both extremely silly, supremely entertaining and utterly absorbing. Oh, that’s three things - damn!
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 14:50
Originally posted by ankhora ankhora wrote:

Here is a recent discovery that I adore... Wobbler

Wobbler albums never fail to send me back to the 70s.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
ankhora View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankhora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 17:54
Anglagard captures what I'm getting at perfectly... escape to another place and time.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 08:25
The Psychedelic Ensemble, "Tale of the Golden King" is a concept album which weaves a compelling fantasy tale with wonderful lyrics and incredible music.

Post Reply Post Reply