Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Most Epic, Bombastic, Triumphant Prog Bands/Albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Epic, Bombastic, Triumphant Prog Bands/Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Epic, Bombastic, Triumphant Prog Bands/Albums
    Posted: May 30 2022 at 12:22
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ It is funny to look at those old reviews from the '70s... nobody liked anything, except maybe Joni Mitchell .

I love Joni Mitchell-her advanced jazz skills scared critics as much as King Crimson’s abstraction.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 02:36
-Ayreon (Netherlands).

-Flaming Row (Germany).

-Majestic (USA).

-Pictorial Wand (Norway).

-Rocket Scientists (USA).
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 20:31
^ It is funny to look at those old reviews from the '70s... nobody liked anything, except maybe Joni Mitchell .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 19:44
A few years ago, when I was knee high to a sprout, it was common for album reviewers to refer to contributions by certain bands as dense, overblown, and pretentious. If they threw in a bombastic for good measure, my friends and I knew our quest, and it was a done deal that we were seeking a 5-star album that people would talk about for decades. 

Somehow, the results of these quests look a whole lot like the list of top albums on this site.

Edited by RockHound - May 21 2022 at 19:45
Duddick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 16:11
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Duddick Duddick wrote:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - I can never understand why “bombastic” is used as a positive adjective by many prog fans. My view of the word has always been that it’s a negative and this is confirmed by the the Oxford English Dictionary which describes it as “high-sounding language with little meaning, used to impress people.” Hardly a recommendation to me……..

You seem to be under the impression that people don’t know the definition. It is entirely possible to recognise that bombast can be pleasurable to hear. Most people can recognise bombast in prog, and this bombast is either seen as a good or a bad thing. Synonyms for bombastic include overwrought, convoluted, pompous, pretentious, ranting and blathering. These seem pretty good adjectives to describe a lot of prog, particularly some of the albums that have been mentioned so far on this thread.

Is “The Wall”, as someone has already said, bombastic? Well, it’s certainly overwrought, convoluted, pompous, pretentious, ranting and blathering - and I love it. Thus, I can recognise that the bombast (which usually would have a negative connotation) is part of what makes “The Wall” such an enjoyable listen.

Do I know bombastic has negative connotations? Yes. Have I used it before in reviews as a positive attribute? Also, yes.

While I suspect there may well be some out there who don’t know the dictionary meaning of the word bombastic, having perhaps seen it only in prog reviews, I am sure the vast majority of people who use the word DO know what the definition is. It is rather patronising and condescending to assume that those who use it do not know what it means.

Maybe it’s just me and the sort of prog genres I like which don’t tend to be what prog fans describe as bombastic or pompous - I prefer krautrock, avant garde and prog folk etc.
At the end of the day each to their own but whenever I see the word it automatically puts me off.

That sounds as if you’ve hit the nail on the head. There are certain styles of music that almost rely on a degree of bombast. If you don’t like that bombast, then you will see it as a negative attribute. For those who enjoy the bombast, then they will see it as a positive.

Boris Johnson, for example, is full of bombast. I can’t stand him, but a lot of people seem to love him.

Totally agree re Johnson!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 08:18
Originally posted by Dervish D Dervish D wrote:

Definitely Spartacus.
Then there is ELP’s ‘Pictures at an Exhibition’p.
A little different: Phillip Glass’s ‘Koyaanisqatsi’.
Perhaps Vangelis’ ‘Heaven and Hell’?
Agreed.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 02:27

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - I can never understand why “bombastic” is used as a positive adjective by many prog fans. My view of the word has always been that it’s a negative and this is confirmed by the the Oxford English Dictionary which describes it as “high-sounding language with little meaning, used to impress people.” Hardly a recommendation to me……..

You seem to be under the impression that people don’t know the definition. It is entirely possible to recognise that bombast can be pleasurable to hear. Most people can recognise bombast in prog, and this bombast is either seen as a good or a bad thing. Synonyms for bombastic include overwrought, convoluted, pompous, pretentious, ranting and blathering. These seem pretty good adjectives to describe a lot of prog, particularly some of the albums that have been mentioned so far on this thread.

Is “The Wall”, as someone has already said, bombastic? Well, it’s certainly overwrought, convoluted, pompous, pretentious, ranting and blathering - and I love it. Thus, I can recognise that the bombast (which usually would have a negative connotation) is part of what makes “The Wall” such an enjoyable listen.

Do I know bombastic has negative connotations? Yes. Have I used it before in reviews as a positive attribute? Also, yes.

While I suspect there may well be some out there who don’t know the dictionary meaning of the word bombastic, having perhaps seen it only in prog reviews, I am sure the vast majority of people who use the word DO know what the definition is. It is rather patronising and condescending to assume that those who use it do not know what it means.

Maybe it’s just me and the sort of prog genres I like which don’t tend to be what prog fans describe as bombastic or pompous - I prefer krautrock, avant garde and prog folk etc.
At the end of the day each to their own but whenever I see the word it automatically puts me off.

That sounds as if you’ve hit the nail on the head. There are certain styles of music that almost rely on a degree of bombast. If you don’t like that bombast, then you will see it as a negative attribute. For those who enjoy the bombast, then they will see it as a positive.

Boris Johnson, for example, is full of bombast. I can’t stand him, but a lot of people seem to love him.

Duddick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 02:08

Edited by Duddick - May 21 2022 at 02:14
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 13:35
Originally posted by UnderGround UnderGround wrote:

Hello I'm Antonis from Forbidden Myth.
Check out our epic prog rock concept album here:

Here is the bandcamp page, you can listen to the whole album for free and read the plot and lyrics.

Here is the Lyric Movie of the entire album!

that's spamming already, you're posting the same thing all over the place. 
You've suggested the band, advertised the band, let's see now what will happen. 
UnderGround View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnderGround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 13:31
-

Edited by UnderGround - May 20 2022 at 15:32
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 10:42
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

If you've really heard nothing from the last forty years of his output, it's an understatement to say you've missed out on a lot. Wink

*Yeah, probably so, but is there anything good (as in worthy of exploring)?? LOL

**JK, I'll try Red Planet some day.Wink

*Sure, but only if you like keyboards! Big smile

**You should, and also check out Retro, Retro 2, Out There (with the N.E.R.E.) and his soundtrack for The Burning. That's a start.

Edited by verslibre - May 20 2022 at 10:42
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 03:47

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

After years of reading putdowns directed at Rick on various message boards, I concluded the derision is due to the likelihood that most listeners are unfamiliar with the majority of his solo discography (it's huge, and Rick has released some questionable fare, but when he's on, he's on). His most recent (all-instrumental) outing, The Red Planet, is excellent.

Yeah, but TBH, I've avoided w**kerman's solo output after his 1984 album (which is still pompous & bombastic). PinchTongue
The only album I kept (and even bought in CD format) is 6 Wives.

If you've really heard nothing from the last forty years of his output, it's an understatement to say you've missed out on a lot. Wink

Yeah, probably so, but is there anything good (as in worthy of exploring)?? LOL

JK, I'll try Red Planet some day.Wink

Edited by Sean Trane - May 20 2022 at 03:48
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 03:31
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I don't think it is but personally I love a bit of bombast. ELP set off canons at their debut performance and critics hated it , John Peel hated it and anyone 'cool' hated it. But I seriously don't give a stuff about any of those groups. I admire and support talent. Of course ELP went off the rails big time but that was also part of the fun. My question might be 'why do people take prog so seriously?'.
BTW Rick Wakeman is also a whole heap of fun LOL

Personally, I love me a whole BUNCH of bombast with my prog!!  

Trans-Siberian Orchestra was probably the epitome of bombast from my own experience (I've seen ELP BSS etc.), that was some amazing stuff!!  

Edited by cstack3 - May 20 2022 at 03:32
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 01:16

I don't think it is but personally I love a bit of bombast. ELP set off canons at their debut performance and critics hated it , John Peel hated it and anyone 'cool' hated it. But I seriously don't give a stuff about any of those groups. I admire and support talent. Of course ELP went off the rails big time but that was also part of the fun. My question might be 'why do people take prog so seriously?'.
BTW Rick Wakeman is also a whole heap of fun LOL
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 01:10
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

ELPs first four albums define epic, bombast, and triumphant.

quite
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 16:07
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I don't think it is possible to discuss "epic, bombastic, triumphant" without injecting TFTO! 

I mean, the first movement is titled "The Revealing Science of God!!" 

Here, have some! 

also known as ... Prog course correction ... where soon after crossover prog sought to trim down the prog epic.

That reminds me of the question Stephen Colbert made to Rush: "“You’re known for some long songs. Have you ever written a song so epic, that you were being influenced by your own song, because it happened so much earlier in your career?”

Instead of "Video Killed the Rock & Roll Star," we had "Bombastic Prog Killed the Entire Genre and Ushered In Punk Rock!"
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 13:38
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I don't think it is possible to discuss "epic, bombastic, triumphant" without injecting TFTO! 

Here, have some! 

also known as ... Prog course correction ... where soon after crossover prog sought to trim down the prog epic.

That reminds me of the question Stephen Colbert made to Rush: "“You’re known for some long songs. Have you ever written a song so epic, that you were being influenced by your own song, because it happened so much earlier in your career?”
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 13:30

Here, have some! 

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 09:59

The biggest criticism from a lot of those who don’t like a lot of prog, is that it is bombastic and pompous.

The biggest attraction for a lot of those who do like a lot of prog, is that it is bombastic and pompous.

Maybe if we use "grandiloquent" instead of "bombastic"? LOL

Indeed, that is another synonym in Roger’s thesaurus - although I’m not sure if it is one of the ones I listed, as there were a surprising number, so I picked the ones I most often see used in reviews on this site.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 09:57

The biggest criticism from a lot of those who don’t like a lot of prog, is that it is bombastic and pompous.

The biggest attraction for a lot of those who do like a lot of prog, is that it is bombastic and pompous.

Maybe if we use "grandiloquent" instead of "bombastic"? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>