FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in Norway: What's in the water?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Juan K View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juan K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog in Norway: What's in the water?
    Posted: June 16 2022 at 08:24
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

My guess is that, thanks to their generous health care system and high quality of life, musicians aren't constantly scrambling for life's necessities as we are in the States.  

I'd love to visit sometime!  

This advice is from a neighbour (ex neighbour now) that has been working and living there for years now:

Come visit Norway in July !

Or at least it's a good advice to someone (like me) that lives in a place where never snows and in wintertime the temperature doesn't go below 0º (Celsius, NOT Fahrenheit)

Edited by Juan K - June 16 2022 at 08:29
Let nothing bleed into nothing
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 09:26
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

Mix heavy water, Norwegian oil, and Viking blood, and the only possible outcome is pure magic. I had a wonderful time in Norway a few years ago, and their culture seems like a perfect breeding ground for adventurous and eclectic music. I remember a booth at a market in Oslo that had about 20 varieties of lox-I was totally inspired.

Thanks, Jack! I'm quite envious of your trip! It sounds wonderful! 
Norway is quickly climbing up my list of "Bucket List" places to visit!

Edited by BrufordFreak - June 10 2022 at 09:27
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 09:24
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

In the early 2000s I was communicating with some musicians from Norway . At that time I was discouraged regarding my accomplishments in music because living in New Jersey was not encouraging and particularly when it came to Progressive Rock.

Although Progfest in New Jersey was supported and exciting the hope for a Prog community putting together events began dwindling away as time progressed. One particular musician in Norway emailed me and wrote..."You should move to Norway because Progressive Rock is a way of life here"

More people generally interested in that style of music. Did Norway have billboards with an advertisement that Bruce Springsteen was going to be in town? In the end I decided to remain a recluse and work on music. I just block out imposing business deals or offers that revolve around someone else's agenda. According to musicians in Norway I wouldn't even have to deal with such realities if I lived there instead.

Thanks for this, John! This is exactly the kind of response I was hoping for: information from an insider's point of view/experience. Thinking of Progressive Rock music as "a way of life" in Norway is exactly what I was suspecting--or, at least, a little bit more of that kind of opinion/perspective. Thanks so much!

Drew Fisher
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2022 at 17:29
In the early 2000s I was communicating with some musicians from Norway . At that time I was discouraged regarding my accomplishments in music because living in New Jersey was not encouraging and particularly when it came to Progressive Rock.

Although Progfest in New Jersey was supported and exciting the hope for a Prog community putting together events began dwindling away as time progressed. One particular musician in Norway emailed me and wrote..."You should move to Norway because Progressive Rock is a way of life here"

More people generally interested in that style of music. Did Norway have billboards with an advertisement that Bruce Springsteen was going to be in town? In the end I decided to remain a recluse and work on music. I just block out imposing business deals or offers that revolve around someone else's agenda. According to musicians in Norway I wouldn't even have to deal with such realities if I lived there instead.

RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2022 at 10:03
Mix heavy water, Norwegian oil, and Viking blood, and the only possible outcome is pure magic. I had a wonderful time in Norway a few years ago, and their culture seems like a perfect breeding ground for adventurous and eclectic music. I remember a booth at a market in Oslo that had about 20 varieties of lox-I was totally inspired.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2022 at 19:39
You Norwegian prog fans are going to drool over this one! 

Soft Ffog , self-titled . You can find it on bandcamp. 
Listen to the last track 'Dhalsim' and then go searching for your jaw, teeth, and exploded brain matter. 
Ohhhhhhh my!  

You can thank me when you detox.....LOL
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2022 at 22:41
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Norway is a wealthy nation with 20% of it's money coming from gas and oil production. They've committed to giving 1% to the arts which is absolutely huge. Would have been something like under 2 billion in the mid 10's.
In Canada here the government had a policy that radio stations had to play a certain quota of Canadian music. That was in the seventies and annoying for me at the time but it was so good for Canadian bands and music here giving them a voice, a platform to be heard.

Thanks for that, John! That helps! 

As a 1970-74 devotee of CKLW, I know and applaud the policy of Canadian radio to promote their own. The arts are important!

Edited by BrufordFreak - May 28 2022 at 22:42
Drew Fisher
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2022 at 17:33
Norway is a wealthy nation with 20% of it's money coming from gas and oil production. They've committed to giving 1% to the arts which is absolutely huge. Would have been something like under 2 billion in the mid 10's.
In Canada here the government had a policy that radio stations had to play a certain quota of Canadian music. That was in the seventies and annoying for me at the time but it was so good for Canadian bands and music here giving them a voice, a platform to be heard.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 07:14
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I don't see the point of this thread. Confused
I believe we are trying to prove they have better water in Norway. Smile

Exactly! Thank you, Grumpy!

Norway is, after all, the world's leading source for heavy water, right? Also for deep well storage of radioactive waste?

But, seriously, Cristi, I've been curious about the causes for occurrences of prog (or even "musical") "hot spots" for a long time and it seems that Norway has become one of these--even, in my observation, usurping the place of Sweden as Scandinavia's leading source for top notch prog. So, I just put it out there to the PA community in case any of you thinkers or statisticians have any theories or facts to back (or refute, as Nick has been doing) my supposition.

Drew Fisher
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 06:47
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I believe we are trying to prove they have better water in Norway. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 06:44
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Whatever it is, we DO appreciate it!

That's right. Thumbs Up

Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 06:10
Whatever it is, we DO appreciate it!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 16:10
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Good points, Nick, and of course we're all looking around the elephants in the world: 1) Norwegians speak/command English embarrassingly well and can, therefore, promote themselves better in the more consumerist Anglo-world and 2) Norwegians probably have a higher than average per capita income with which to invest money into musical equipment, studio time, album production and promotion, etc. Prog is, after all, a privilege available to the privileged.

Actually, those were also my points... Wink
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 10:16
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Personally, although it was never the main point of the OP, population density is completely irrelevant, as a lower population density can suggest a population is more spread out than a higher one. For example, Australia has a population density of approximately 3, while New Zealand is more like 15. (These are from memory of when I was at school, so are no doubt now changed, but their accuracy doesn’t change the point.) But, Australia has a large part of the country where next to no one lives, and their population is in more dense clumps than that of New Zealand.

If you are going to use population statistics for wondering why there is so much music coming out from a country, then looking on a per capita basis is probably better than looking by density. Not that it is a particularly good way of looking at it, either, but it does work a little better,

I am definitely not suggesting every country has as much music coming out of it as Norway, so it will be easy to find countries which are not. I just think that Norway seems to be getting more attention, so it seems like there is considerably more coming out from there than other countries, when this really doesn’t seem to be the case, so much as more of their bands getting more attention. Writing lists of what you have doesn’t change this. I can write lists, too.n

The other thing is, of course, that once one starts to dive into the output of one country, it becomes easier to find more, and more, and more, and more, from that country.

Norway has a great number of high quality music, it’s true. But it’s not alone or special in that, and it’s number isn’t considerably more than many other countries with a great number of high quality music. (Ignoring the subjectivity as to what at high quality music is, as I am using that only because it was used by the OP).

Good points, Nick, and of course we're all looking around the elephants in the world: 1) Norwegians speak/command English embarrassingly well and can, therefore, promote themselves better in the more consumerist Anglo-world and 2) Norwegians probably have a higher than average per capita income with which to invest money into musical equipment, studio time, album production and promotion, etc. Prog is, after all, a privilege available to the privileged.

Drew Fisher
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 08:26
I think their culture is very conducive for prog to take a hold and flourish. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 00:14
Personally, although it was never the main point of the OP, population density is completely irrelevant, as a lower population density can suggest a population is more spread out than a higher one. For example, Australia has a population density of approximately 3, while New Zealand is more like 15. (These are from memory of when I was at school, so are no doubt now changed, but their accuracy doesn’t change the point.) But, Australia has a large part of the country where next to no one lives, and their population is in more dense clumps than that of New Zealand.

If you are going to use population statistics for wondering why there is so much music coming out from a country, then looking on a per capita basis is probably better than looking by density. Not that it is a particularly good way of looking at it, either, but it does work a little better,

I am definitely not suggesting every country has as much music coming out of it as Norway, so it will be easy to find countries which are not. I just think that Norway seems to be getting more attention, so it seems like there is considerably more coming out from there than other countries, when this really doesn’t seem to be the case, so much as more of their bands getting more attention. Writing lists of what you have doesn’t change this. I can write lists, too.n

The other thing is, of course, that once one starts to dive into the output of one country, it becomes easier to find more, and more, and more, and more, from that country.

Norway has a great number of high quality music, it’s true. But it’s not alone or special in that, and it’s number isn’t considerably more than many other countries with a great number of high quality music. (Ignoring the subjectivity as to what at high quality music is, as I am using that only because it was used by the OP).

projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 18:43
I think you're right. There is something about Norway.

I listen to many great bands from there: Caligonaut, Circles End, Dobbeltgjenger, Gazpacho, Giant Sky, Jaga Jazzist, Jordsjø, Krokofant, Leprous, Magic Pie, Major Parkinson, Nils Petter Molvær, Motorpsycho, The Opium Cartel, Retroheads, Todd Terje, Tirill, Tusmørke, White Willow, Wobbler.

If you're looking for an explanation, maybe you can look where there is NOT many prog bands?

For example, take a country with similar population figures: Togo.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 17:21
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Not the case for me, 3% of my collection from 2000 onwards have been Norwegian dominated by elephant9, Jaga Jazzist, Hedvig Mollestad & Panzerpappa. 

If I ignore UK & USA then the top countries for me are France, Germany, Belgium, Canada, Sweden & Italy before I get to Norway.

If I rank them in albums per 1MM population they are a much more respectable 2nd behind the UK

UK - 9.5 albums per 1MM population
Norway - 9
Belgium - 6
Sweden - 5.6
France - 3.3
USA - 1.9
Canada - 1.8
Germany - 1.1
Italy - 0.8

Man, I've got albums from the four bands/artists you listed but also Wobbler, Motorpsycho, Shamblemaths, Funin, Stillehavet, Weserbergland, White Willow, Tirill, Caligonaut, Soup, Leprous, Green Carnation, Gazpacho, Seven Impale, Arcturus, Enslaved, Jordsjø, Ulver, In the Woods, Ihsahn, Airbag, Bjørn Riis, Major Parkinson, Kvazar, The Windmill, Needlepoint, Arabs in Aspic, Magic Pie, The Samuel Jackson Five, Circus Maximus, Kaukasus, Giant Sky, The Opium Cartel, Moleskin, Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik, Himmellegeme, and they all have at least one album in my Year End Top Albums lists!

Drew Fisher
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 13:07
My guess is that, thanks to their generous health care system and high quality of life, musicians aren't constantly scrambling for life's necessities as we are in the States.  

I'd love to visit sometime!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 11:36
Not the case for me, 3% of my collection from 2000 onwards have been Norwegian dominated by elephant9, Jaga Jazzist, Hedvig Mollestad & Panzerpappa. 

If I ignore UK & USA then the top countries for me are France, Germany, Belgium, Canada, Sweden & Italy before I get to Norway.

If I rank them in albums per 1MM population they are a much more respectable 2nd behind the UK

UK - 9.5 albums per 1MM population
Norway - 9
Belgium - 6
Sweden - 5.6
France - 3.3
USA - 1.9
Canada - 1.8
Germany - 1.1
Italy - 0.8
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/