Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1978 was a good year II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: What's your favorite out of these?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [29.63%]
5 [9.26%]
4 [7.41%]
1 [1.85%]
2 [3.70%]
5 [9.26%]
1 [1.85%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.85%]
1 [1.85%]
2 [3.70%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [5.56%]
3 [5.56%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.70%]
1 [1.85%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [9.26%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 07:31
Renaissance followed by Gilmour & UK

Edited by Argo2112 - May 20 2022 at 07:42
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 07:52
I went with Gong's Expresso II - a fine, underrated album followed by Hackett (less consistent).  

While here, one omission from what was arguably the last year of classic prog - Art Bears' 'Hopes and Fears'.  ELP's much maligned (at the time) 'Love Beach' has been reassessed more kindly and the cover is a good example of post-modern irony...

Edited by Rick1 - May 20 2022 at 07:55
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 07:56
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

I went with Gong's Expresso II - a fine, underrated album followed by Hackett (less consistent).  

While here, a couple of omissions from what was arguably the last year of classic prog - National Health's 'Of Queues and Cures' and Art Bears' 'Hopes and Fears' 

No omission, National Health's 'Of Queues and Cures' is in the first poll, link in the OP. 

I don't listen to Art Bears, that's why it's not in the poll. 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 07:56
The Man Machine
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 08:00
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

While here, a couple of omissions from what was arguably the last year of classic prog - National Health's 'Of Queues and Cures' and Art Bears' 'Hopes and Fears' 

No omission, National Health's 'Of Queues and Cures' is in the first poll, link in the OP. 

I don't listen to Art Bears, that's why it's not in the poll. 

I noticed about NH then edited my post but you were too quick!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 08:04

While here, one omission from what was arguably the last year of classic prog - Art Bears' 'Hopes and Fears'.  ELP's much maligned (at the time) 'Love Beach' has been reassessed more kindly and the cover is a good example of post-modern irony...

ELP's Love Beach is not an omission either, I did not even consider it for the poll, I did think of Budgie, BJH, Queen and Dire Straits, but not ELP for 1978. 

Love Beach went even more downhill for me when someone mentioned the atrocious lyrics on some songs on the album. And he was right... 

Edited by Cristi - May 20 2022 at 08:07
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 08:06
^ Love the line about 'central heating'...
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 08:16

ELP's Love Beach is not an omission either, I did not even consider it for the poll. 

Love Beach went even more downhill for me when someone mentioned the atrocious lyrics on some songs on the album. And he was right... 

I'm going to shock you now Cristi and say that whilst I have owned the first 5 studios, Welcome Back and EL Powell, I've still NEVER EVEN HEARD Love Beach! I just can't seem to bring myself to do so... Embarrassed
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 08:21
^ I borrowed it from a friend at the time and listened to it once and hastily returned it (without taping it).  It was a good thirty years or so until I listened to it again - and it wasn't as bad as I imagined...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 08:28
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

ELP's Love Beach is not an omission either, I did not even consider it for the poll. 

I'm going to shock you now Cristi and say that whilst I have owned the first 5 studios, Welcome Back and EL Powell, I've still NEVER EVEN HEARD Love Beach! I just can't seem to bring myself to do so... Embarrassed

Not a shock considering the bad reputation. 
I'd still rather listen to Love Beach than the two 90s albums though. EmbarrassedSmile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 08:42
Excellent albums by: Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Gong, David Gilmour, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Renaissance

Watch already appears on the first list and I voted for it there if I'm not mistaken. Out of the others I'd probably rate Kraftwerk and Renaissance slightly above the other three. Vote for The Man Machine.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 08:45
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Excellent albums by: Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Gong, David Gilmour, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Renaissance

Watch already appears on the first list and I voted for it there if I'm not mistaken. Out of the others I'd probably rate Kraftwerk and Renaissance slightly above the other three. Vote for The Man Machine.

oh yeah, I did, I missed it somehow, my bad. Embarrassed
I would have replaced it, but it got a vote, I can't do that now. Embarrassed
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 08:58

^ I borrowed it from a friend at the time and listened to it once and hastily returned it (without taping it).  It was a good thirty years or so until I listened to it again - and it wasn't as bad as I imagined...

One of these days Rick, I may grit my teeth and give it a go... thing is, there's too much good music out there that I still haven't gotten around to!

Incidentally, are you a fellow Fox? Cool
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 09:14
I will don my white overalls and vote accordingly.
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 09:21
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

white overalls, Mike? I think you'll need a crash helmet! LOL
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 09:23
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

white overalls, Mike? I think you'll need a crash helmet! LOL

I don't get these jokes TBH... EmbarrassedConfused
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 09:31

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Magma - Attahk
Magma - Attahk is in the first poll.
 Ouch

Right, but I preferred to vote there for Gotic - Escenes, and I don't like any album from this poll.

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 09:33

Magma - Attahk
Magma - Attahk is in the first poll.
 Ouch

Right, but I preferred to vote there for Gotic - Escenes, and I don't like any album from this poll.

For real? No album? Are you familiar with all of them? That's weird TBH... 

Edited by Cristi - May 20 2022 at 09:34
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 09:38

You are beyond my patience! 

Edited by David_D - May 20 2022 at 09:39
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 09:46

You are beyond my patience! 

Well you've just told me you dislike 25 albums from my poll. And yet you get mad at me. 
Good one... Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>