Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands everyone loves, but you do not get them?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bands everyone loves, but you do not get them?
    Posted: May 23 2022 at 15:39
This is another question influenced by a Sea of Tranquility video. 

My bands would be...

Nirvana - I feel that people only like a few songs by them, and think Smells Like Teen Spirit is one of the best things ever. However, people seem to think they are one of the best bands(I like some of their stuff anyway).

Radiohead - Thom Yorke's vocals often bug me. I also felt like junk the first time I heard OK Computer. I also feel that every band complains about the future. 

Rush - I like them, but can never really remember their songs. Yes is the same thing too. I like both of those bands, but do not get the appeal for Rush like everyone else. 

However, I will hear more of them, since I am rather unfamiliar with them(1 Radiohead album(OK Computer), 2 Rush albums(Hemispheres, Moving Pictures)). When I finish their discographies or at least the good stuff, then I will get them. 

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 15:46
This has been done before. But I'll play again.

Flower Kings
IQ
Tool
Magma
Threshold

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 15:46
I'm not that keen on Rush either. When I listen to it, there is something a bit cold or stiff about their music, and I can't really put a finger on it.

A second choice for me (and I know it may be controversial here) is Yes.

On the other hand, I really like Nirvana and Radiohead.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 15:52
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Flower Kings
IQ
Tool
Magma
Threshold

Aren't those typically polarizing bands, that a lot of people can't stand (I don't know anything about Threshold really, but the rest)?
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 16:10
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Flower Kings
IQ
Tool
Magma
Threshold

Aren't those typically polarizing bands, that a lot of people can't stand (I don't know anything about Threshold really, but the rest)?
Sorry for ruining your evening!! 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 16:32
It'll have to be rephrased to: bands/artists I should love (but can't get into) based on those I notice raving about them:

Cardiacs
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Pierre Moerlen's Gong
Brand X
Björk
Allan Holdsworth
Khan
Harmonium
Maudlin of the Well
Höyry-Kone
Keith Jarrett

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 16:33

Flower Kings
IQ
Tool
Magma
Threshold

Sorry for ruining your evening!! 
To me it looks more like I ruined your evening by pointing out that you're mostly wrong. I love Magma, but I most certainly know that A LOT of people can't stand them. It's also quite common to dislike most Neo-Prog. I've never heard anything to love in that genre, and I'm far from alone.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 23 2022 at 16:51
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 16:49
Alice in Chains
Eagles
Magma
Post-Fish Marillion
Post-Marillion Fish
Porcupine Tree
Bruce Springsteen

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 17:03
The Tragically Hip
Bruce Springsteen
U2
Guns n Roses
David Bowie
The Ramones
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 18:14
Both Nirvana and Peral Jam had one good album, and a few songs outside of them.
Tool bores me. So does Def Leopard. And Velvet Underground.
Radiohead has zero appeal.
Most Tech/Extreme Metal, even though I can appreciate the musicianship.
Slash is a generic guitarist. He rocks, though.
Springsteen might be more enjoyable if he sang well and got rid of the far!!#g saxophone.
I won't even mention any of the dance-pop artists who have been high on the charts over the last 45 years, although some of them are actually good.
I like Neo-Prog as long as it doesn't remind me too much of classic Genesis. If it does, then I have heard it before and done better.
I will always defend a person's taste in music - we all listen with our own ears. Some people need to have their horizons broadened.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 18:46
The Doors
Guns 'n' Roses
Grateful Dead
Dio 
Muse 
The Mars Volta 
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 19:56
LOL, this is great!  I'll try....

Rush - some good tunes & great talent, but they just don't speak to me
Magma - I've tried & tried...
Grateful Dead - Nope.  
Porcupine Tree - I even saw them live, they nearly put me to sleep. 
The Mars Volta - great band name, but....
Dream Theater - seen them twice, fantastic chops, but too much....endless, noodling solos for no point. 
Frank Zappa - I dig some material, but I can't listen to it to relax.  

Edited by cstack3 - May 23 2022 at 19:58
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 20:34
I'm seeing lots mentioned that I don't have much appreciation for, various of those being mentioned by multiple people: Porcupine Tree, Grateful Dead, Dream Theater, Rush (used to love Hemispheres), the Mars Volta, Guns 'n' Roses, Muse, Dio, Bruce Springsteen (quite like the earliest music), The Flower Kings, IQ, Marillion generally, Eagles, IQ, Tool, Def Leppard... are some of those that have been mentioned that I don't much "get". That said, I might be able to appreciate some music from all of those, and I know I do for various of those.

Ones I most like that have been mentioned: Magma, Cardiacs (although not as much as I used to ), Björk , Höyry-kone, and of course David Bowie, who I have liked since I was a child and my appreciation has just grown and grown -- I think that Blackstar is such a remarkable swansong. A great and poignant album to go out on. And Khan, I find Space Shanty wonderful.

I think finding a band that everyone who knows the music of loves except for you is very likely to have been heard by very few people (serious obscurities).    I do seem to recall a very short lived garage band by some high school friends that was appreciated (t least to some extent according to the comments) by all that I knew other than me, but the only ones I knew had listened to it were my friends in the band -- I contributed badly, which is fine, since we all did. The fact that we did not continue means that it probably wasn't really appreciated much by any of us, even if a couple of them did say "Cool" in what sounded like an unironic fashion.

Edited by Logan - May 23 2022 at 20:38
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 20:55
 ^ The compelling question is:  is our perception/appreciation of a band's music based more on the music itself in the quality of content & presentation ...  or is it related to our individual journey as a listener and human being, our development, ear, changing lives.   I tend to think it's the latter, which presents other questions.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 21:09
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ The compelling question is:  is our perception/appreciation of a band's music based more on the music itself in the quality of content & presentation ...  or is it related to our individual journey as a listener and human being, our development, ear, changing lives.   I tend to think it's the latter, which presents other questions.

I would say that the how one perceives the quality, content and presentation depends on our history/ experiences, our psychology and our physiology. I see music as, in part, a relationship between the organised soundwaves and the individual's mind. No two people hear, perceive and interpret music in exactly the same way.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 23:59
I can't get into:

Rush
VDGG

I can't stand with:

Genesis (but I like Rutherford and Phillips solo stuff. I also like Ovo by Gabriel.)

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 00:31
Brand X
Captain Beefheart
Cardiacs
Gentle Giant
Guapo
Present
Swans
Thinking Plague
Robert Wyatt
Frank Zappa
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 00:35
Early Soft Machine
VDGG 
RAdiohead
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 00:35

Flower Kings
IQ
Tool
Magma
Threshold

I thought that was the general idea, to list polarizing bands that people either love or hate. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 01:26
^Polarizing bands are almost the opposite of "bands that everyone loves". How can a band you either hate or love also be a band that everybody loves?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>