Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aphrodite's Child and Vangelis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxnEmmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aphrodite's Child and Vangelis
    Posted: May 25 2022 at 10:16
With all the attention re Vangelis and his passing, how many people listened to Aphrodite's Child?  666 is an excellent album.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 10:33
Sadly, It was inevitable that One Day there'd only be one surviving member of Aphrodite's Child, so this seems like a good time to feature the little-known debut album from their former drummer Loukas Sideras. Broken Heart

4 stars 1972: Loukas Sideras - One Day - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phaDdMte-FI
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 10:52
666 is righty regarded as a prog classic. What more can be said?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 10:54
I actually just played it for the first time after I heard about Vangelis death. It is a very good album. 

Edited by Argo2112 - May 25 2022 at 11:10
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 11:03
666 is a great album that I enjoy a lot.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 11:11
I just listened to segments of it from the Complete Aphrodite's Child two disc set. Overall, 666 is a great album. It is good to hear their guitarist Silver Kolouris play since he spent most of the band's life in the Greek military. I like his playing a lot. The instrumental piece, Aegiean Sea, is a forerunner for Vangelis' subsequent career.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 12:09
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

666 is righty regarded as a prog classic. What more can be said?

exactly

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 17:35
Originally posted by MaxnEmmy MaxnEmmy wrote:

With all the attention re Vangelis and his passing, how many people listened to Aphrodite's Child?  666 is an excellent album.

Hi,

Had everything from them even before the 70's. My sisters travelled through Europe and brought a lot of albums, and AC's were 2 of them. Their double album was slightly later. And, I continued with Vangelis and enjoyed a lot of Demis Roussos ... when most folks had already ditched him and his own work.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
patkin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 04:17
Very Very great album 666 and very good "one day" of Lucas Sideras with the misunderstood Silver Koulouris
RIP Vangelis
patkin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 04:20
666 is a very excellent album and "one day" of Lucas Sideras very good with the great and misunderstood Silver Koulouris
RIP Vangelis
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 04:41
I have the impression 666 is an album "everyone" loves. One of progressive rock's unique albums with a certain crossover appeal that's also highly regarded outside of the prog realm
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 08:44
It has been my 666th review on PA
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 14:41
Great stuff !
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 21:47
I got this one by chance, when I found it available in a store. I had been interested in it, but had not gone out of my way to get it. I was pleasantly surprised by it.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 02:12
Great album (666) but maybe not my absolute favourite Greek prog album with Vangelis , that goes to Socrates - Phos. Vangelis only played on a couple of tracks but that is a very underappreciated gem. 666 is all over the place on the first 2 sides but the last couple of sides are brilliant. All The Seats Are Occupied virtually re-invents music and was way ahead of its time. 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 03:24
I only know 666. Very good album. I need to explore the rest of their stuff.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
maxsmusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxsmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 08:42
Jon Anderson tried to get Vangelis into YES.  It wasn't a good fit as Vangelis is more of a jazz player and likes to improvise.  They did make some really good albums in the 70's.  Some of Vangelis' solo albums from this time are all synthesis. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 11:09
Originally posted by maxsmusic maxsmusic wrote:

Jon Anderson tried to get Vangelis into YES.  It wasn't a good fit as Vangelis is more of a jazz player and likes to improvise.  They did make some really good albums in the 70's.  Some of Vangelis' solo albums from this time are all synthesis. 

Vangelis composed "Let's Pretend," which was recorded by ABWH.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 18:21
Originally posted by maxsmusic maxsmusic wrote:

Hi,

I'm not sure this is totally correct. It was a known fact that Vangelis would not get into an airplane, and that would be a serious issue with YES being world wide known by that time! 

It may have been a match made in heaven, but the reality was ... that YES, as a band, would cease to do shows, anywhere except Europe where they could take the first class train left and right. The huge, way bigger money, would be in America and guess where they would not be able to go? 

I think it was an honest decision based on reality, and Vangelis never had a bad thing to say about it, which suggested that he knew it would be a major problem. One could say the record company freaked out when Jon said he wanted Vangelis, as it would be great music, but stop the large amounts of money in touring to the places where the money was!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
MaxnEmmy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxnEmmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 20:54
Life is what you make it.  Kings X
 Post Reply Post Reply