Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nicely Done

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nicely Done
    Posted: May 28 2022 at 19:51
The Nice--   Some like 'em, some don't, but how important were they?   Not very, I guess, I mean they only created symphonic prog from kitsch English pop, spawned the most successful prog rock act ever, influenced Lemmy Kilmister who roadied for them and went on to do some significant things, and I have little doubt one Ossie Osbourne was catching them from time to time.  

So let's see: This little psych band was responsible for Symph as we know it, Heavy Metal, Space Rock, and the larger progressive rock movement generally.   Not bad.  

Do you agree?   Have you listened to The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack lately?

Edited by Atavachron - May 28 2022 at 19:56
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2022 at 20:15
Not even close. They did fine at rocking the classics but they followed both The Moody Blues and Hansson & Karlsson as far as symphonic prog is concerned and there's nothing space rock about them. There were dozens of psych space rock bands before them.

Heavy metal? Seriously? LOL
I made an Ultiamte Timeline of Metal Music beginning with proto-forms from the 50s and The Nice isn't on it.

I can't say i get that excited about The Nice. They were definitely instrumental in adding the classical keyboard parts to the prog world but other than a proto-prog standing i can't say they were nearly as innovative as you seem to believe.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2022 at 20:17
It wasn't heavy metal...It was Heavy Myrtle, a groupie with rather large appetites.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2022 at 20:36
The Nice were a great band but you overrate their influence.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2022 at 20:51
Of course they weren't Space or Metal or Symph, but they surely informed all the artists I mentioned (and then some).  

Again, listen to the first two or three albums--  along with Giles,Giles &Fripp and a handful of others, they illuminated what could be done in the rock 'n roll format which allowed people like Hawkwind and Sabbath to flourish creatively and commercially.  

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2022 at 20:51
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

That was kinda the point, get a few raised eyebrows. Smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2022 at 20:54
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

It wasn't heavy metal...It was Heavy Myrtle, a groupie with rather large appetites.

I just saw her at the Lyle Lovett/Dave Matthews reunion show.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2022 at 21:30
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

That was kinda the point, get a few raised eyebrows. Smile

If you would've claimed they invented hip hop, psytrance and were responsible for The Beatles breaking up, i totally woulda believed ya!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2022 at 21:58
^ No but I will claim many musicians who were soon to do great things were surely seeing the Nice live and listening to the records--  the gothic cathedral sounds of Keith's organ and the funereal atmosphere surely must've provided some inspiration, take Deep Purple for example: though they were contemporaries, cuts like the Nice's treatment of Brubeck's 'Rondo' has early organ/guitar interplay that would become a trademark of DP.  Not plagiarism as much as mutual influence, but the Nice would seem to have been just a bit before others, and just a bit better.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2022 at 03:05
Thoughts of ED  is great proto-prog album and one of the very first one too.ClapStarHeartThumbs UpCool

But TBH, it's the only album of theirs that I kept for any length of time in my shelves and I still own it - thpough I made sure the bonus tracks on the CD were including the America recorded with O'List). However, I got rid of Ars Longa (my entry moint) and the other three during the later 80's before crossing the pond (they were all first pressings, too) and never got them back.

As for their "symph" roots (they were really more psych with their first two), FBS and ALVB are both "very symphy", and not some "rocking the classics"' like all those Dutch bands or Sky would do later on. Elegy and their s/t are more of a mixed bag of live and bottom of drawer stuff, though.

Well, certainly not in the range of their contemporaraneous Velvet Underground for sure, but Nice were influential enough (if only to ELP and all of their clones), if only because of their place in the Prog timeline. But it's obvious this never translated into mega sales (ELP-scale).

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2022 at 07:45
I think John McFerrin summarized them best in a way I agree with:

“….., I would qualify the role of The Nice as follows: they were, as much as anybody, the progenitors of the first generation of British prog rock bands that collectively peaked in the early 70s and was, on the whole, in serious decline by 1975. I tend to think of them as sort of a bridge between Procol Harum and King Crimson/Emerson Lake and Palmer, with one foot more or less tapping on "traditional" rock approaches but the other foot occupying a space that freely incorporated jazz and classical influences and, as much as anybody in British rock music to that point, wrote music that demanded a fairly high level of technical excellence.”
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2022 at 08:00
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I think John McFerrin summarized them best in a way I agree with:

“….., I would qualify the role of The Nice as follows: they were, as much as anybody, the progenitors of the first generation of British prog rock bands that collectively peaked in the early 70s and was, on the whole, in serious decline by 1975. I tend to think of them as sort of a bridge between Procol Harum and King Crimson/Emerson Lake and Palmer, with one foot more or less tapping on "traditional" rock approaches but the other foot occupying a space that freely incorporated jazz and classical influences and, as much as anybody in British rock music to that point, wrote music that demanded a fairly high level of technical excellence.”

Hi,

The sad thing, is folks looking at this music, and specially the time and place, with today's eyes and ears ... in which case a lot of it seems poor and not very good, but we forget that at the time it was all that there was about it. No one, really was playing the keyboards full throttle, and the Moddy Blues you could say only used one instrument for keyboards, which was not in tune many times, btw, depending on where they were playing. In LA at the old Sports Arena, it was not bad, but poor!

I think of Nice/ELP as more of a classical attempt at doing things, but the real issue is/was ... how can we get the fans into the stand when you don't do fun stuff? And this ended up being a lo of the material that a lot of fans wanted to hear from ELP, namely the hits and the fun song about the sheriff! Always a crowd pleaser! The rock audience will never be the quiet bunch that never does or says anything until the end of the concert when they walk out whispering, lest someone takes offense to the comments! That's exactly what you see in the colleges and universities these days with over rated classical musicians that aren't half as good as many of the rock folks out there!

Serious music began taking a serious hit in the late 60's, as soon as the "rock media" took hold, probably starting with Melody Maker and the other one, though in America, the only thing we got was the bunch of fanzines, and not many of them wanted to show faces of people that did not look good, or did not have some make up! All of it, added to the "fan-driven" market as the record companies insisted and tried hard and harder to get even more folks into the concert.

Sadly, you can see in the REFUGEE album some of the "classical" motifs that the other two members of the NICE likely wanted to do, and both of them, as much as the whole album were excellent, even with Patrick Moraz kinda adding something different from Keith Emerson, though I am not sure that PM was as highly educated in an academic musical sense, compared to Keith Emerson. Thus the more "classical" pieces would be better represented on ELP, than the NICE, although at the time, there was a major need for these to sound as close to the pop/rock idioms of the sales, in order to get something from it. 

We can say that THE NICE did really well, and it is still doing well these days, courtesy of the Internet and a thread like this. The only sad thing is the understanding of where/now the music integrates to THEN in its time and place, as opposed to hearing it out of context completely in most of today's listeners.

It's the part that will make or break "progressive" music, though many don't want to bother and think that having "numbers" show more than any intelligent definition and appreciation of the music itself ... and this is the part that we're missing ... I call it "the soul of the music"! (Since it likely would not have happened as it did otherwise.)

Edited by moshkito - May 29 2022 at 08:03
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2022 at 08:56
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Do you agree?   Have you listened to The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack lately?
Not lately, but I'm relistening now. I't somewhat as I remembered - as in not very memorable. I do love the opener, but to me it's mostly downhill from there. I've never enjoyed any of those rockin' the classics prog rock compositions... ever - and Rondo is this album's supposed highlight + also main claim to the "inventors of prog" fame. Not the best selling point for me. I don't love the vocalist either. He's kind of awful. But there's no denying they were influential back in the day. Their thee top five album entries in UK alone speaks volumes about that. They were heard by "everyone".

-Do I think that their music is still relevant, or that any band formed in the new millenium (or in the last 30-40 years) is directly inspired or influenced by them? No, not really. It doesn't seem that many people care much about their music at all anymore. I don't mean to be this negative really. Hang on to a Dream is very pretty.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 29 2022 at 09:21
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2022 at 11:21
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

But there's no denying they were influential back in the day. Their thee top five album entries in UK alone speaks volumes about that. They were heard by "everyone".

I recall both Genesis and Yes name checked them heavily early in their career.. I think its not so much that their style of music itself influenced, i think it was more because they (amongst a few notable others such as Family and The Pentangle) showed the next tier of bands coming on the scene what COULD be done, what could be achieved particularly Live.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2022 at 12:13
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

But there's no denying they were influential back in the day. Their thee top five album entries in UK alone speaks volumes about that. They were heard by "everyone".

I recall both Genesis and Yes name checked them heavily early in their career.. I think its not so much that their style of music itself influenced, i think it was more because they (amongst a few notable others such as Family and The Pentangle) showed the next tier of bands coming on the scene what COULD be done, what could be achieved particularly Live.

I think this is absolutely right. In this regard, they were a huge influence on what followed.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2022 at 17:45
^ Which was my point.   It's the musicians that witnessed what the Nice were doing regardless of whether that player went on to do "Prog" or "Heavy" or whatever.

One aspect almost completely forgotten (but that I like to occasionally annoy everyone about) is that heavy metal was considered a part of the progressive rock movement, or at least was welcomed as an iteration of the new spectrum of Rock, being born of the psych and prog of the time. Hard to believe, I know, but if you look at the British music scenes, or if you were to ask Ozzy if Sabbath was creatively influenced by a band like The Nice, I'd bet good money he'd say "Definitely".   It wasn't just the Beatles and Hendrix and Floyd and Zappa that were moving rock music forward, it was a kaleidoscope of guitar and organ-based music.

Edited by Atavachron - May 30 2022 at 00:52
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2022 at 19:11
The Nice were an important, and pivotal, band; they influenced the whole subsequent world of progressive rock groups transcribing classical music, from ELP and Triumvirat, to lesser known groups like The Pink Mice and Pell Mell. 
          As I discovered classical music at the same time as progressive rock, the two music worlds have always gone hand in hand in my interest and estimation.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2022 at 19:56
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Not even close. They did fine at rocking the classics but they followed both The Moody Blues and Hansson & Karlsson as far as symphonic prog is concerned and there's nothing space rock about them. There were dozens of psych space rock bands before them.
Heavy metal? Seriously? LOL
I made an Ultiamte Timeline of Metal Music beginning with proto-forms from the 50s and The Nice isn't on it.

I can't say i get that excited about The Nice. They were definitely instrumental in adding the classical keyboard parts to the prog world but other than a proto-prog standing i can't say they were nearly as innovative as you seem to believe.

You say the Nice aren't on your 'Ultimate Timeline of Metal' ?   Why would they be ?   They had nothing to do with metal.   You misinterpreted the OP.   It's not that they were some sort of 'proto metal' band like, say, Blue Cheer (surely Blue Cheer are on your list, right? I hope so), it's that at that moment in England the Nice were among the most innovative rock bands in the world, and brought a goth graveyard to the scene waaaaay before Sabbath or anyone else... not to mention awesome chops.   It's what they, among others, contributed to the growing progress of rock music that then inspired other heavier, proggier, spacier, and jazzier bands.

Edited by Atavachron - May 29 2022 at 19:59
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2022 at 20:25
^ yeah but your statement sort of applies to a lot of bands. Bop jazz and classical recordings like Walter Carlos' Hooked on Bach delivered the same energetic drive that carried on into hard rock and metal. I get where you're coming from but lots of bands offered inspiration for the musical styles that came next. I think The Nice had some interesting moments but it would've been more interesting to see them evolve to the next stage but i guess that's what ELP was all about. Personally i think John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra were much more instrumental to 80s heavy metal than any symphonic prog. But that's just my opinion :)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2022 at 22:11
^ Mahavishnu, huh.  Interesting.   I certainly would say they were on the same influential level as the Nice, maybe even larger in the grand scheme of Rock as Art.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>