Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Opeth vs Orphaned Land vs Wilderun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opeth vs Orphaned Land vs Wilderun
    Posted: June 08 2022 at 15:44
In 2006, a poll was conducted comparing Orphaned Land to Opeth, but many people couldn't vote because Orphaned Land was still arising a new prog artist. Incidentally, I wanted to conduct a poll between Wilderun and OL, since I find them very similar (Epigone and ORwarriOR imo are very reminiscent of each other), and since Wilderun and Opeth are often compared to each other, as well, why not compare all three since they're all heavily represented in prog by now. By Opeth, I mean pre-2011.

So between Opeth, Orphaned Land, and Wilderun, which progressive folk/death metal band do you most prefer?

For me, I choose OL, since they're the most varied and ambitious, then Opeth, then Wilderun, as they fo meander a bit too much me.

Edit: I just realized I don't know how to create a poll. Can someone tell me how? I guess this one will be informal

Edited by bardberic - June 08 2022 at 16:06
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2022 at 00:35
You can not create a poll until after you’ve attained a certain number of points. The main way to obtain points is by posting, which you are already doing, so carry on and you’ll get there. You also get points if someone thanks you for your post, so to help you along, I’ll thank you for your post.

I can’t say I’ve ever thought of comparing Opeth and Orphaned Land, before. They sound very different to each other, and I don’t think one has ever reminded me of the other. That said, I don’t know the earlier releases of either at all. I am familiar with Opeth from Blackwater Park and with Orphaned Land from Maboul. That said, I am highly tempted to buy their career spanning box set, that was released recently. Even though it will include albums I own already, it is still cheaper than buying the albums I don’t have individually.

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2022 at 17:42
Opeth> Wilderun > Orphaned Land
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2022 at 18:35
Just thanked your post as well. I'm not sure exactly how many points you need to start creating polls, but you'll definitely get there soon enough Smile

Regarding the subject at hand: Opeth > Wilderun > Orphaned Land

Then again, I'm super biased since Opeth is my third favorite band of all time LOL
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 00:59
I know practically no-one on this site will agree, but...

Mabool simply knocks anything I've heard from Opeth, right out of the park.... furthermore, hearing it live... what a treat!

Edited by Jared - June 10 2022 at 01:01
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 01:29
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I know practically no-one on this site will agree, but...

Mabool simply knocks anything I've heard from Opeth, right out of the park.... furthermore, hearing it live... what a treat!

I might agree. I would need to listen again to be sure, but it wouldn’t surprise me if I agreed. As much as I like Opeth, and think they probably have (for me) a more consistently good discography, off the top of my head, Orphaned Land’s highs are higher.

bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 08:35
I don't disagree. I think Opeth is incredibly overrated. Mabool isn't even Orphaned Land's best lol That would be ORwarriOR, imo :)

Maybe Mabool could compare with Still Life, maybe, but yeah still better than anything else from Opeth.
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 08:38
I did get the box set. Very much worth the price, but the sleeves are poor quality and the artbook is a fingerprint magnet, if matters to you.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 18:28
"Mabool" is an awesome album but I'd pick Opeth as far as a bands go.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
 Post Reply Post Reply