FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Porcupine Tree - Closure/Continuation, out now

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
PaulG View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porcupine Tree - Closure/Continuation, out now
    Posted: August 15 2022 at 13:23
     I finally received my preordered copy of the new PT release on the 14th. I ordered the deluxe version with bonus tracks. I did not like this release upon the first couple of listens.   Today was the first day I actually started to like this release. Releases that take several listens to enjoy usually become favorites of mine. This hasn’t happened as yet but I usually need to give a release multiple listens before giving a comment so I’m still in this process.   Definitely a more stripped back version of PT and I miss Colin on bass. I am suffering from an extremely rare form of tinnitus so this surely affected/affects my enjoyment too.
     The packaging leaves a lot to be desired.
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2022 at 10:57
I like it- 8/10

Damn- I haven't been here in a while...

Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2022 at 10:21
I’m a fan of both PT and SW solo works, but have never become fully comfortable with his falsetto. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2022 at 09:06
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

The vocal melody of Chimera's Wreck starts almost exactly like the chorus of Pink Floyd's Time. I've got to admit this has bugged me for two days before I realised where I know this from. (The album has a bit too many "already heard" moments for my taste, even though they mostly refer to themselves.)
Harridan has SW~TFB synth bits in it as well, that little pad beat. As I said maybe the initial riff of these songs are from 10yrs ago or right after The Incident, but what was recorded has a 2022 feel to it, especially with a lot of SW solo bits in it.
His falsetto vocals come into play as well...
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2022 at 18:14
The vocal melody of Chimera's Wreck starts almost exactly like the chorus of Pink Floyd's Time. I've got to admit this has bugged me for two days before I realised where I know this from. (The album has a bit too many "already heard" moments for my taste, even though they mostly refer to themselves.)

Edited by Lewian - July 12 2022 at 18:15
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 16:42
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

Some favorites so far:

Dignity: Acoustic guitar and vocal harmonies. What’s not to like? I have to mention the keys/synths. I think Steven’s solo work (that I mostly love) has left me missing Barbieri’s contributions. The Rush-like guitar riffs add some fun to the track.

Population Three: One of the best tracks, and I usually favor songs with vocals. I love it when these guys go at it with the instruments.

Rats Return’s main riff reminds me of some other PT song, but I can’t remember which. The Herd Culling intro also has something familiar. I want to say from FOABP.

Different ears obviously.....Population Three is not doing it for me, was really looking forward to a great instrumental. Keeping an open mind/ears on it though!
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 15:07
Some favorites so far:

Dignity: Acoustic guitar and vocal harmonies. What’s not to like? I have to mention the keys/synths. I think Steven’s solo work (that I mostly love) has left me missing Barbieri’s contributions. The Rush-like guitar riffs add some fun to the track.

Population Three: One of the best tracks, and I usually favor songs with vocals. I love it when these guys go at it with the instruments.

Rats Return’s main riff reminds me of some other PT song, but I can’t remember which. The Herd Culling intro also has something familiar. I want to say from FOABP.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 10:12
More listens this weekend, some songs are hitting more now especially Dignity, for me that one has Lightbulb Sun type mood all over it. Rats Return is also hitting harder in the vein of In Absentia.
The very positive is that Barbieri is all over this record, which is great.

Here's a good review by Sea Of Tranquility boyz.......

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2022 at 05:56
It has worked out pretty well for me to read some stuff and listen to the odd early singles to keep my expectations properly low. Somehow I hardly ever expect good things of heroes of the past. This is very useful, because then I'm easily positively surprised. The album sounds very good to me at the first go. It is true that it maybe sounds a bit too much like PT how we know them, so that it's not very adventurous, but if I love a style and it's done properly, I happily go for more of it.

How well this ages through repeat listens remains to be seen.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2022 at 10:47
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Maybe they simply didn’t anticipate correctly the international demand. It’s still easily and cheaply available in the UK, in all places I just looked. 🤷🏻‍♂️

and for 'Merica, the CD is unobtainium, that's the weird part. Maybe I can sell mine for $1,200... ClapLOL
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2022 at 04:59
Maybe they simply didn’t anticipate correctly the international demand. It’s still easily and cheaply available in the UK, in all places I just looked. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2022 at 03:06
Oh I can wait.  I just find it odd that less than a month since its official release its only regulated to second hand sites.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 22:41
Patience is a virtue. And a necessity.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 21:05
It's also on youtbe to listen to Wink
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 17:44
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I don't pay for downloads. I can wait for the CD to appear, or if it was stupidly a one and done thing then I have a sh*t ton of other music to listen to. 
Well like I said, it's on Discogs to buy....
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 17:08
I don't pay for downloads. I can wait for the CD to appear, or if it was stupidly a one and done thing then I have a sh*t ton of other music to listen to. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 17:00
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

yeah...it was listed on wayside for about two days before it was removed. Doesn't seem to be available anywhere atm, which is quite strange. 

Weird.......I just looked thru Discogs and the CD is only available from the UK and to the US runs about $40-$60 shipped. 
At this point your best deal is to download the non-physical album from iTunes for $10, or some other site......
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 15:01
yeah...it was listed on wayside for about two days before it was removed. Doesn't seem to be available anywhere atm, which is quite strange. 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 15:01
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Just listened to this the first time on Spotify. I would rate this 7.94602569 out of 10. It seems kind of pricey at the moment, so I'll look for this after the clamor of everyone trying to get it settles. I'm only going to get the standard CD release.

Rats Return is my favorite. A close second is Chimera's Wreck.
I rate it a pube hair higher at 7.94612569 out of 10. 

YMMV
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 14:57
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I pre-ordered this off of Amazon, but unfortunately they are telling me that they don't have a delivery date but will let me know when it becomes available.  This happened to me with the new Flower Kings album too, so I ended up ordering a different version.  When I pre-ordered it, the CD was listed at $14.83, but they are now selling it for $27.15, so I guess that I will hold tight and see if I ever actually receive it.  In the meantime, I guess I will need to give it a listen on Spotify.

Buy from Ken Golden at LasersEdge, dude ships quick and always has good prices.......Bezos has more than enough money.
I buy all my TFK records from Lasers Edge, I've stopped buying from Burning Shed, Kscope, TFK website as the shipping is insane from across the pond. Ken bulk ships from UK and the pricing is good.......

For example on the latest Marillion album, the preorder from their website was like $45 shipping, I bought the album for $30.
I have heard for some reason this PT C/C CD is in very short supply, hence the higher price for it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>