Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lingua Ignota: Sinner Get Ready (2021)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lingua Ignota: Sinner Get Ready (2021)
    Posted: June 25 2022 at 07:19
Kristin Hayter (born June 17, 1986), known professionally as Lingua Ignota (Latin for "unknown language"), is an American classically trained multi-instrumentalist... Just google your way to a Steregum-interview (because links like this don't seem to work anymore) for more fascinating + devastatingly sad and heartbreaking background on her. 

RYM claim her music is "basically": Neoclassical Darkwave, Avant-Folk, Chamber Music, Christian Liturgical Music, Appalachian Folk Music, Death Industrial, Drone, Singer-Songwriter... Her previous "breakthrough" release CALIGULA from 2019, may be something I won't revisit all that often. I'm just a little too emotionally fragile for the hellish screaming (that makes early Burzum sound cute), cacophony and total darkness that's scattered around an otherwise stunning album. Just check out DO YOU DOUBT ME TRAITOR, and you'll get the idea.

SINNER GET READY is differnt though. Still quite challenging music and not for everyone. But the "Death Industrial" is largely replaced with "Appalachian Folk" and while there's plenty of intense singing/chanting - there's no more diabolic screams. I'm currently obsessing, crying my eyes out whilst listening to all her soul crushing music. But this, her latest album is a good place to start. I'll end with a few examples of Lingua Ignota's unconventional and spine-tingling beauty.

Dark as it is, I find it strangely comforting:
This is the albums opening track, a continuation of CALIGULA - and the "industrial noise" parts largely begins and ends here.
A dance of death, or a funeral march

I don't know... if one person discovers Kristin Hayter's music because of this post and find it half as intriguing as I do, I'm happy.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - June 25 2022 at 08:06
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 07:24
I love this album! It was one of my favorite albums of 2021, and I love the mix of classical, experimental, industrial, and folk elements Clap

Also, Alexis Marshall can rot in hell Angry

Edited by Necrotica - June 25 2022 at 07:42
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 07:42
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

I love this album! It was one of my favorite albums of 2021, and I love the mix of classical, experimental, industrial elements Clap
Cool! Probably my fave by far. I haven't noticed her mentioned here at PA before, but I noticed she's gotten herself quite a following. So there's still hope for mankind - or perhaps not:)
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Also, Alexis Marshall can rot in hell Angry
Indeed. I've watched interviews and read a lot about that and her in general, but chose to leave all that out this little introduction.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 08:58
After SGR there's two new releases posted on her bandcamp-page: 1) four musically accompanied readings of letters written to televangelist Brother Jimmy Swaggart (the sex worker who brought him down, is speaking about him in the Man Is Like a Spring Flower-intro), but 2) perhaps more interestingly, this incredible version of Katie Cruel*

*old folk tune previously made famous by Karen Dalton and Nick Cave

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 09:16
I bought "All Bitches Die" last year after checking her out based on good rateyourmusic reviews (I had heard some Caligula but liked Bitches more... Sinner Get Ready was probably not yet out). Very creative, dark and unsettling. I want to explore her work more so thanks for bringing her up! Although I've got to say, I have to be in the mood for this kind of stuff, and that mood doesn't come too often.

Edited by Lewian - June 25 2022 at 09:26
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 09:31
Yeah... I like what I'm hearing. Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 09:31
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I bought "All Bitches Die" last year after checking her out based on good rateyourmusic reviews (I had heard some Caligula but liked Bitches more... Sinner Get Ready was probably not yet out). Very creative, dark and unsettling. I want to explore her work more so thanks for bringing her up! Although I've got to say, I have to be in the mood for this kind of stuff, and that mood doesn't come too often.
Yes I feel the same way - or similar to you. She goes perfectly well with my current mood though... (well to a lesser extent Caligula, as it just destroys me in a Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima-kind of way. I have to wait a while till next revisit. My psyche can handle All Bitches Die and Let the Evil of His Own Lips Cover Him more often)
It's been quite some time since I first became aware of her, but haven't really taken that deep, second dive into her music until very recently. And her latest release feels like the perfect direction for her to pursue. But I'm guessing she's the kind of artist that will bring something new and surprising to the table with each release.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - June 26 2022 at 06:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 09:35
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Yeah... I like what I'm hearing. Thumbs Up
Glad to hear that:)
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 10:50
Listened to a couple of snippets and really like what I heard. Will take the time to give it the attention it deserves... I'll be back.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 14:05
I listened to the whole Sinner Get Ready album followed by the whole Caligula album, and wow! Quite the experience; I was mesmerised. Musically, I think it does relate to various music quite well that I have been into of late as well and both albums connected with me immediately and held my attention.
Two Tracks Per Many of My Fave Acts: A Youtube Playlist
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 14:53
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I listened to the whole Sinner Get Ready album followed by the whole Caligula album, and wow! Quite the experience; I was mesmerised. Musically, I think it does relate to various music quite well that I have been into of late as well and both albums connected with me immediately and held my attention.
I was kind of hoping this was something you'd connect with. I've seen her music compared to Diamanda Galas, Anna Von Hauswolff, Swans... but to me it's really a totally immersive experience like nothing else before (but those artists mentioned can all be uniquely immersive as well. Swans in particular). With Lingua Ignota it seems I don't really seperate the art from the artist, but feel emotionally invested way beyond the music.   

-Anyway, now you need to hear the rest of her output too.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 15:09
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Listened to a couple of snippets and really like what I heard. Will take the time to give it the attention it deserves... I'll be back.
Glad you enjoyed the snippets, but be prepared for a somewhat sinister gesamtkunstwerk when you get back:)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 03:16
This may come off as a bit of a novelty maybe (as I could have posted more of her own written material), but a bonus track on Lingua Ignota's first official release (making it a 43 minute long EP) is a cover of Inner Circle Bad Boys - from that cop-show... which I've always hated. But in Kristin Hayters hands this song is transformed and suddenly the Bad Boys are doomed sinners witth no redemption or forgiveness in sight to hope for. Makes me think of Nina Simone's version of Sinnerman.

If you buy the album long EP Let the Evil of His Own Lips Cover Him for $2, you'll get it as a hidden bonus, and 100% of artist proceeds will be donated to National Network to End Domestic Violence

Edited by Saperlipopette! - June 26 2022 at 06:33
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 05:01
So I got to listen to the whole Sinner Get Ready and all the adjectives mentioned above apply. It is a very singular work and very beautiful - you can be happy because I discovered this artist thanks to your post. Thank you! And, added to the "to buy" list.
I also listened to the first three tracks of Caligula, but got a bit put off by the screaming... (and the lyrics are very violent, indeed, but I could get over that, since it's part of the concept).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 05:54
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

So I got to listen to the whole Sinner Get Ready and all the adjectives mentioned above apply. It is a very singular work and very beautiful - you can be happy because I discovered this artist thanks to your post. Thank you! And, added to the "to buy" list.
I also listened to the first three tracks of Caligula, but got a bit put off by the screaming... (and the lyrics are very violent, indeed, but I could get over that, since it's part of the concept).
Wonderful!
...I don't know the screams are somehow the most impressive, bonechilling screams I've ever heard. So in a way I find them disturbingly attractive. But Caligula will never be part of "let's see, what shall I listen to today...hm maybe this?", but I appreciate it as a work of art and wouldn't hesitate if I got a chance to see it performed live. I'm glad that:

...2019’s devastating Caligula, garnered international attention for its mix of metal, industrial, and opera tropes, which she combined with live performance art to terrifying effect. But the success of the project became limiting for Hayter: “When I was thinking about making this record, I was literally told, ‘You have to make Caligula 2, and it has to be better than Caligula.'” But those expectations didn’t align with her reality. “I think one of the major tenets of this project is to remain authentic,” she said. “I wanted to really make it about what I was experiencing at that time"...

...she wanted to create intensity from the stillness of her surroundings, “lending a bit of darkness and subversion to the very kind of bucolic landscape,” in her words. “I think people thought it would sound bigger, and it would sound noisier,” she said. “And I didn’t want to do that.” Instead, she examines the unsuspecting horrors lurking in the folksy quietude of rural America, painting a sinister palette with its history...
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 06:01
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Cool! Probably my fave by far. I haven't noticed her mentioned here at PA before, but I noticed she's gotten herself quite a following. So there's still hope for mankind - or perhaps not:)

To be honest, I've been thinking of recommending her to PA for a while now. I'm not entirely sure where she'd belong, but I guess the closest fit would probably be the post/math category. Or maybe eclectic prog Smile
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 09:26

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I was kind of hoping this was something you'd connect with. I've seen her music compared to Diamanda Galas, Anna Von Hauswolff, Swans... but to me it's really a totally immersive experience like nothing else before (but those artists mentioned can all be uniquely immersive as well. Swans in particular). With Lingua Ignota it seems I don't really seperate the art from the artist, but feel emotionally invested way beyond the music.   

-Anyway, now you need to hear the rest of her output too.

I was getting those same reference points to other artists, as well as Nico (especially for The Marble Index) on Caligula. I had played Swans' excellent out-of-print live album Omniscience (1992) before playing the Lingua Ignota albums, and there are sort of rather disturbing meets beautiful Jarboe folk vibes that they have in common. And she, like Swans, employs the bits where folsky Americans are talking about things. Just mentioning because it might have connected even more immediately as something I wanted to listened to, and in full, immediately.

I appreciated both album so very much, and listened to Caligula again. On the next try I took in more of the lyrics. Obviously tragic, and anger and sadness are being expressed. The screaming is an element that didn't take away enough of my appreciation for the music to stop listening when it started. When the Clockwork Orange theme was on, which is music that resonates so much with me and is fitting for the themes, I was rather wishing not to hear the screaming. I could appreciate the screaming, and it is part of the overall experience. And there is such beauty of its king in the album, and I trend to like contrast. I really appreciate the neofolk/ folk horror / religious elements -- Sinner Get Ready hooked this sinner. I have a big thing for religious themed folk horror (The Wicker Man, The Witch, The Apostle, The Third Day etc.) I definitely will be listening to her other music.
Two Tracks Per Many of My Fave Acts: A Youtube Playlist
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 09:46
Been meaning to get this album. The prior album sure packed a whallop. Hard to say I enjoy it, because actually enjoying such an outpouring of rage and pain would be perverse in a way, but it’s great art.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 13:37
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Been meaning to get this album. The prior album sure packed a whallop. Hard to say I enjoy it, because actually enjoying such an outpouring of rage and pain would be perverse in a way, but it’s great art.
Yes it is. But I've always been attracted art "such as this" - whatever that means. It has to feel genuinely authentic, and I prefer that it's performed by people with an amazing gift and extraordinary talent. Kristin Hayter is undoubtly 100% all of that. I can say that I enjoy a psychological relief through the open expression of strong emotions... without feeling like a pervert:)

Btw: I don't think it's possible for Sinner Get Ready to dissapoint you

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 21:32

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Yes it is. But I've always been attracted art "such as this" - whatever that means. It has to feel genuinely authentic, and I prefer that it's performed by people with an amazing gift and extraordinary talent. Kristin Hayter is undoubtly 100% all of that. I can say that I enjoy a psychological relief through the open expression of strong emotions... without feeling like a pervert:)

Btw: I don't think it's possible for Sinner Get Ready to dissapoint you

It is a good feeling in the cathartic sense, though I’ve never been through close to the pain she went through. I just don’t want to presume to empathize with it all. I feel the pain, but I can’t really understand the pain because I’ve never been through it.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>