4 [12.12%]
5 [15.15%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2022 at 06:59
Hi,

I know this sounds incorrect, but can we add one more member?

The Whole Band!

I'm not sure the band would have been as good apart, as they were together.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2022 at 08:23
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Ray. Brilliant bass work.

agree --GG is a band filled with greatness.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2022 at 08:34
I couldn't pick. They're all marvellous.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2022 at 09:24
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I know this sounds incorrect, but can we add one more member?

The Whole Band!

I'm not sure the band would have been as good apart, as they were together.

The Boys in the Band
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2022 at 15:06
Band as a whole
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 00:37
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Oh man Phil Shulman for sure. When he left the band a good chunk of what I find so "magical" about Gentle Giant, left with him. The rich atmosphere and use of space, the warmth and lighthearted playfulness, the memorable tunes... I liked his singing voice and there's no clarinet, trumpet or mellophone to be heard after he was gone, is there? This doesn't mean I think the qualities I treasure were totally gone, but there's certainly less of it. Maybe they were changing with or without him I don't know. But post-Octopus has a colder, more sterile sound, and their compostions has less of a natural flow and feel to them - imo.

This. All this. My favourite three GG albums are the debut, Acquiring the Taste, and Octopus. That doesn’t mean I don’t like what comes after (and there are at least two post-Octopus albums I like more than Three Friends), but once Phil left, the band lost a lot of their magic. And magic is the right word, and I’m glad you used it (or, at least, the word magical).

I can see where you're coming from, but for me, all of them are fabulous musicians and why the later albums don't work as well, is not because of who left the band, but more because of the band seeking a wider audience in trying to simplify the music.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 00:49
^ No way. That doesn’t even begin to make sense, as the band was neither trying to find a bigger audience, nor trying to simplify their music until later on. Some of the least simple albums, and least likely to find a bigger audience, came AFTER Phil left! There was actually greater complexity after he left, but at the expense of the lighter, more playful side to their earlier music that I particularly love. Neither of GG’s first two albums are particularly complex, and aren’t really that much more or less mainstream than the final two GG albums - but I love them.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 01:33
Not really an expert but I always thought Octopus was their simplest and most straightforward album. My own personal favourite is Power and The Glory, but up to and including Interview they are all interesting. As a very broad point I think they did follow the crowd a bit and their music became more technical. I feel that happened with a lot of major prog bands (ELP, Yes, Genesis, PFM especially) and possibly where prog lost it's way.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 07:17
To be honest, I can't believe Gary Green isn't running away with the lead here. No one else in the band even comes close on their instrument to Gary. 

As for keyboardists, I think Kerry is ok but even Hugh Banton is probably a better keyboard player imo.

Derek isn't a bad singer and Ray is good I suppose but I don't think he stands out. To me the only one who really stands out is Gary.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 10:14
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

To be honest, I can't believe Gary Green isn't running away with the lead here. No one else in the band even comes close on their instrument to Gary. 

As for keyboardists, I think Kerry is ok but even Hugh Banton is probably a better keyboard player imo.

Derek isn't a bad singer and Ray is good I suppose but I don't think he stands out. To me the only one who really stands out is Gary.

I could listen to Kerry's voice singing forever! And I always seem to have found myself honing in on his keyboard work--the glue that binds. (Plus a little "anachronistic"/"ancient" influence always helps me to enjoy my music more.)

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 10:15
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

^ No way. That doesn’t even begin to make sense, as the band was neither trying to find a bigger audience, nor trying to simplify their music until later on. Some of the least simple albums, and least likely to find a bigger audience, came AFTER Phil left! There was actually greater complexity after he left, but at the expense of the lighter, more playful side to their earlier music that I particularly love. Neither of GG’s first two albums are particularly complex, and aren’t really that much more or less mainstream than the final two GG albums - but I love them.

^This.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12