Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mattergy for Progressive Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black_diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mattergy for Progressive Metal
    Posted: July 08 2022 at 06:40
Mattergy started out in 2016 as the project of Aigars Aress Māls (Enhet) and Ivars Kalniņš (Bruit Monkey, The Mascaron). Andris Buikis, a well-known Latvian drummer joined the band shortly after, and then Tobias Sarra, a British avant-garde/folk musician joined as lead vocalist in 2017 while he was living in Riga. Back then the band was playing with Stanislavs Yudins as bassist, a popular double bassist on the Latvian jazz/improvisation scene. Stanislavs left the band and was replaced by Ilvars Vitolins, who now also makes the visual art for the band’s releases. We’ve been working hard over the years on composition, recording and production, building a strong local following around our sound. We’re now focusing on live shows and taking our music to a wider international audience.

Our sound fits mainly into the ‘prog metal’ landscape, with heavy, jaunty guitar-led riffs (7 and 8 string so it gets pretty beefy), melodic vocal lines and synth overlays. We often make long tracks with multiple sections and unusual structures, but there’s definitely some underlying ‘pop’ influenced anthemic principles. The songs are usually big, heavy-hitters, sometimes frantically fast-paced, but we also have moments of extreme spaciousness (as with the start of Wide Awake) and even some power ballads (Lightborn, Delight). Each of us has a different background, so we’re bringing together lots of different experiences to this space. 

One thing that makes the band special (we believe), is our eclectic mix of musical influences. Aigars and Ivars are very influenced by metal, especially prog - bands like Dream Theatre, Karnivool, Periphery, Sikth, Meshuggah, Tesseract, Caligula’s Horse, Haken, Leprous. Andris comes from a jazz background, and is influenced by Genesis, Dave Weckl band and Simon Phillips. Ilvars is mainly influenced by jazz, fusion, latin, artists like Jaco Pastorius, Anthony Jackson, Tom Kennedy and Brian Bromberg. Tobias is inspired by art-pop, experimental improvisation, folk/traditional sounds and everything in-between - Matana Roberts, Blake Mills, Tori Kudo, Yves Jarvis, Sam Amidon, Jake Xerxes Russel, Sóley, Michael Hurley, Busdriver, Milo, Amanda Palmer, Arthur Russell, Claire Rousay, Tigran Hamasyan, Sibusile Xaba, Scroobius Pip, Kae Tempest.

Discography and samples at

https://mattergy.bandcamp.com/album/primordial-wrath

Facebook 

https://www.facebook.com/mattergy/

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mattergyband

YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/Mattergy

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 00:20
They've been here for about three months now.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 01:35
I have the Primordial Wrath album only because the band was already submitted to PA for evaluation. As Bilal says, the band have already been submitted, and are already in the archives.

I’m not sure that Mattergy’s album will make any AOTY list I might make, but it is a very enjoyable album, which has really grown on me. I never disliked the album, and it always felt to me that it would be a “grower”.

FWIW here is my voting statement for the PM team:
Originally posted by I I wrote:

Mattergy is a yes, a weak one, but still a yes. It's a djenty progressive metal band, with clean vocals and the vocalist is quite good. Enjoyable album.
 Post Reply Post Reply