0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2022 at 03:55
Mila - Heavy dose of JRF here. I liked the funky groove of the Smak track, and it almost got my top spot but the drum break didn't work for me. If I were watching this live, I think I would be into it. Also must mention the Leb I Sol track you replaced (Damar). It had a great Summer day, play in the car, as you drive along the coast feel to it. Found it available on Amazon Music Unlimited and saved it to one of my driving playlists. Was my preferred of the Leb I Sol. The replacement (Pod vodom) was bit too 'busy' for me.

1. Mainhorse - 5 pts
2. Smak - 3 pts
3. Leb I Sol - Akupunktura - 2 pts
4. Leb I Sol - Pod vodom - 1 pt

Will probably get to Cristi's tomorrow.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 15:47
^ Oh yes, ranking is not in my DNA either... But sometimes it's a fun exercise (and sometimes impossible, or terribly arbitrary...).
But, if I find the time to listen to your suggestions (partly again), I will do it. I'm just not sure to have the occasion to do that in the coming days and I have to give priority to Cristi's offerings, at least to have my "track record" complete.

I especially like these IA-polls because they're mainly just outside of the prog realm, but nourished by prog lovers. So, there's much chance that the music proposed by one might please the other. In that sense it is also interesting to better know each of our prog affinities, so this is a great addition to all these interactive polls, in my opinion. (it's just that ranking thing... Wink)

Beer

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 13:20
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

1. Mainhorse - La Salamandre: 5 points
2. Leb i Sol - Akupunktura: 3 points
3. Smak - Domaci zadatak: 2 points
4 Leb i Sol - Damar: 1 point
Suitkees, Mila have changed the fourth song, you should listen to the other one.
Hmm... Maybe I should just give it 1 point then. If I had to listen to it, I would have to relisten to the other three too in order to eventually review my points distribution. Which is not what I'm going to do now. I still have to listen to Cristi's selection. After that, we will see... if time and will allow.
No problem Kees, leave it as it is. I din't expect you to listen to the songs again. The new song is from the same band and album, after all. You were a bit quick and I was unsure about my choices because they actually belong rather to the category 'prog related', if at all. From the beginning I had doubts about taking part in this poll, since prog in the narrower sense is actually not my thing and, it seems, vice versa.- The ranking is already giving me headaches. LOL

Edited by Mila-13 - July 22 2022 at 14:27
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 07:20

Regarding my "personal ranking" and my evaluation of my selection: these are two charts that do not count for the score and the final evaluation, I wrote them for your curiosity: if you want to know which songs I liked more in absolute terms, and if you want to know how I rate my songs, here is my rating, but then again, this rating does not count towards the final score, everyone will only look at the points that their songs receive from other forumists.

Ah, good. Great. I think I would have given 5 points to my four selections... Wink

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 06:24
My earlier votings can be found here.

Mila-13:
1. Smak (5 points)
2. Mainhorse (3 points)
3. Leb i Sol - Akupunktura (2 points)
4. Leb i Sol - Pod Vodom (1 points)

Cristi:
1. Sfinx (5 points)
2. Mr. Albert Show1: 3 points
3. Epitaph (2 points)
4. Phoenix (1 point)

1) This vid was unavailable. A closer inspection revealed that this track should be Did You Really Find Somebody? by the Dutch band Mr. Albert Show.

Edited by someone_else - July 22 2022 at 07:12
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 02:50

BTW, I'd rather not give points to my own selection (I think no one has done that up till now but you, Lorenzo). Do you want us to do that?

You're right about Mila: she shouldn't have changed songs after seeing that you had already evaluated them ... But she did, so be patient.

Regarding my "personal ranking" and my evaluation of my selection: these are two charts that do not count for the score and the final evaluation, I wrote them for your curiosity: if you want to know which songs I liked more in absolute terms, and if you want to know how I rate my songs, here is my rating, but then again, this rating does not count towards the final score, everyone will only look at the points that their songs receive from other forumists.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 00:58
BTW, I'd rather not give points to my own selection (I think no one has done that up till now but you, Lorenzo). Do you want us to do that?

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 00:54

Nice of you to join in, Mila. Never heard of the Yugoslavian bands and completely forgot the music of La Salamandre (great film!). With the first three we are more in jazz-rock territories. Very enjoyable, but at the same time not very spectacular. After the obligatory drum solo (rather conventional) the Smak piece becomes quite amazing, and both Leb i Sol tracks are very enjoyable too, veering sometimes more into melodic/bluesy rock. Difficult to rank these three, which is also why I put Mainhorse on top: a very energetic melodic rock track with that touch of sophistication... After that it becomes a bit of a toss-up:

Suitkees, Mila have changed the fourth song, you should listen to the other one.

Hmm... Maybe I should just give it 1 point then. If I had to listen to it, I would have to relisten to the other three too in order to eventually review my points distribution. Which is not what I'm going to do now. I still have to listen to Cristi's selection. After that, we will see... if time and will allow.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 18:08
I've finished, now I'm waiting for you, please try to put the points before next wednesday
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 17:59
My personal ranking:

1) Residents

2) Hosianna Mantra

3) Lorenzo Cilio

4) High Tide

5) Anthony Philips

6) Embryo

7) Dzyan

8) Can

9) Split Enz

10) Utopia

Edited by jamesbaldwin - July 21 2022 at 18:06
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 17:57
And in the end, the evaluation of my songs:

1) Lorca 9,5/10 (review done)

2) A Song for Europe 9,5/10 (review done)

3) Beautiful as the Moon 9+/10 (next review)

4) Laughin Tackle 8,5 (review done)

PS PAY ATTENTION. This ranking doesnt count for the final score, I wrote it just for your curiosity: now you know my evaluations about my selection.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - July 22 2022 at 02:52
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 17:52
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Luciano Cilio - Secondo Quadro "Della Conoscenza"

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Earth Hymn
Birth Control - Film of Life
Association P.C. - Frau Theunissens Kegel
I tried to go for some stuff you may not know - Manfred Mann is very well known but this particular album seems a bit neglected. I have toyed around nominating Can - Spoon, which I'd probably nominate as number one track, but Can have already been mentioned, and I guess (though not sure) that it's better known than all those nominated. Have fun!

Lorenzo Cilio: Christian had already recommended this album to me, which is practically unknown in Italy. We are faced with a very refined, spiritual Chamber music, reminiscent of the Third Ear Band, but which has its own more pronounced and less improvised melody - closed  to the small masterpiece, 5 points

Manfred Mann: very pleasant commercial song based on the rhythm and melody of the keyboards, good sung parts, 2 points

Birth Control: interlocutory beginning, then with the change of tempo the prog ambitions and the refinement of the sound come out, the song rises in quality, math rock ending. Song that lacks a mighty inspirational heart, but with a good musical score and that it is performed very well. 3 Points

Association, very sustained (and too long) jam rockblues that is saved for keyboard solos, 1 point
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 17:30

Nice of you to join in, Mila. Never heard of the Yugoslavian bands and completely forgot the music of La Salamandre (great film!). With the first three we are more in jazz-rock territories. Very enjoyable, but at the same time not very spectacular. After the obligatory drum solo (rather conventional) the Smak piece becomes quite amazing, and both Leb i Sol tracks are very enjoyable too, veering sometimes more into melodic/bluesy rock. Difficult to rank these three, which is also why I put Mainhorse on top: a very energetic melodic rock track with that touch of sophistication... After that it becomes a bit of a toss-up:

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 17:29
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Epitaph - Visions sounds like if someone wanted to use Epitaph or In the Wake of Poseidon by King Crimson in a cartoon or something but they couldn't get the rights to use KC's music so instead they recruited studio musicians to make a soundalike song. xD

Well, in my opinion that song is too much epigonic of King Crimson. But I dont know that group and so I cant evaluate their music.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 17:25
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Epitaph - Visions sounds like if someone wanted to use Epitaph or In the Wake of Poseidon by King Crimson in a cartoon or something but they couldn't get the rights to use KC's music so instead they recruited studio musicians to make a soundalike song. xD

Epitaph are in my opinion a worthy addition to prog-related; their first three albums ("Epitaph" from 1971, "Stop Look and Listen" from 1972 and "Outside the Law" from 1974) are all very good. I love the dual lead guitar in many songs.

@BaldFriede
@BaldJean

I hope you will contribute to the poll by putting the points to the selection of the other participants

Edited by jamesbaldwin - July 21 2022 at 17:26
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 17:19

Epitaph are in my opinion a worthy addition to prog-related; their first three albums ("Epitaph" from 1971, "Stop Look and Listen" from 1972 and "Outside the Law" from 1974) are all very good. I love the dual lead guitar in many songs.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 17:16
Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

I'm in after all, and here is my selection:

From Ex-Yugoslavia

1. Smak: Domaci zadatak (Album: Crna Dama, 1977)

2. Leb i sol: Akupunktura (Album: Leb i sol 2, 1978)

3. Leb i sol: Pod vodom (Album: Leb i sol, 1977)

song replaced, same album.

From Switzerland

4. Mainhorse, Patrick Moraz: La salamandre (La Salamandre OST, 1972)

La Salamandre, a film by Swiss film director Alain Tanner.

Smak: rock-soul instrumental piece with fast-paced syncopated pieces and short drum solos, pleasant. Points 5

Leb I Sol: Another instrumental piece that after a slow start gets faster and faster, until it becomes frenzied. It's not my cup of tea. Points 1

Leb i Sol again: rock piece led by a guitar turn, but the most interesting part is the musical score of the bass. Slightly better than the previous one. Points 2

Main Horse, with Moraz on keyboards, churns out a contemplative piece with some rough electric guitar features. Points 3
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 17:10
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 16:56

Cristi:

Sfinx- classic symphonic prog song driven by keyboards and drums, enjoyable, 2 points

Good mini-suite that after a rock approach becomes meditative with a long interlude of keyboards before returning to being rock, the most inspired of the selection, 5 points

Phoenix - Rather upbeat blues-style rhythm song, doesn't have much prog, 3 points

Epitaph - Pleasant song, keyboard-based ballad that seeks the epic effect a la King Crimson, but does not reach a true climax, 1 point.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - July 21 2022 at 17:01
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 05:28
The partecipants are:
1) jamesbaldwin
2) suitkees
3) nick
4) someone else
5) Bald Friede
6) Bald Jean
7) mathman0806
8) prophesy disaster
9) lewian
10) mila
11) cristi.

Everyone will nominate 2 songs (the songs with the highest score)

There will be 22 songs.

We can vote 4 songs. 4, not 3.

The vote will start next Wednesday.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - July 21 2022 at 05:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>