Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The latest Porcupine Tree C/C

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: How would you rate the latest PT album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [9.38%]
8 [25.00%]
12 [37.50%]
3 [9.38%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.13%]
1 [3.13%]
2 [6.25%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The latest Porcupine Tree C/C
    Posted: July 22 2022 at 12:30
I've played it twice so far and think it's pretty good. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 22 2022 at 12:34
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 12:58
I've gone for 8.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 13:05
^ Same. I've gone for a 8. I think it's a very good album. Not quite my favorite new album like Black Midi - Hellfire or Wobbler - From Silence to Somewhere, but still very good.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 13:49
6 for me. I only streamed it. Will not buy it.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 13:52
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Not quite my favorite new album like Black Midi - Hellfire or Wobbler - From Silence to Somewhere, but still very good.
The Wobbler was released five years ago. Is it new to you?
Duddick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 14:11
Not interested. After they introduced metal into their sound they lost me. Much prefer the early psychedelic stuff

Edited by Duddick - July 22 2022 at 14:12
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 14:25
7 feels about right
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 14:28
I rate it 8/10. It won't make my top 20 as I already have 17 albums I rank higher than this and it's only July.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 15:50
As written above, I'd be fine giving it the #8 selection.
I wouldn't rate it 8/10. maybe closer to a 7.5.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 16:27
Originally posted by Duddick Duddick wrote:

Not interested. After they introduced metal into their sound they lost me. Much prefer the early psychedelic stuff

Well, that's understandable since there is some metal in this new one but not a whole lot. It's not like the whole thing is a metal album (just like their other ones). But how did you know this wasn't a return to their earlier psych sound if you didn't listen to it?
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 17:36
I am going for 8 as well.  Mini-review of sorts:  

Porcupine Tree:  “Closure/Continuation”  Many years since their last release, PT is here with a strong comeback.   There is a sense of melancholy and also disquiet to much of the material, but plenty of the signature hard edges and mood shifts that characterize the band. This feels like a more mature PT to me, lots of sadness for what has become of everything, both personal and global.    Hard to decide between the title track and the sinister Herd Culling, but going with Harridan as being the most indicative of the whole release, almost an overture in parts.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 18:33
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I am going for 8 as well.  Mini-review of sorts:  

Porcupine Tree:  “Closure/Continuation”  Many years since their last release, PT is here with a strong comeback.   There is a sense of melancholy and also disquiet to much of the material, but plenty of the signature hard edges and mood shifts that characterize the band. This feels like a more mature PT to me, lots of sadness for what has become of everything, both personal and global.    Hard to decide between the title track and the sinister Herd Culling, but going with Harridan as being the most indicative of the whole release, almost an overture in parts.

Nice review. It does seem to be one of those albums that goes by really fast though (which is a good thing imo). Has anyone else noticed that?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 18:41
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Nice review. It does seem to be one of those albums that goes by really fast though (which is a good thing imo). Has anyone else noticed that?

Thanks.  I'm not sure that it feels like it goes by fast, but I do know I didn't dislike any of the tracks, just some more than others.  Which means, I suppose, that it doesn't drag on and I kind of wish it would end.  Sometimes bands will just go on too much on one release, this is not one of those, at least for me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 19:00
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Thanks.  I'm not sure that it feels like it goes by fast, but I do know I didn't dislike any of the tracks, just some more than others.  Which means, I suppose, that it doesn't drag on and I kind of wish it would end.  Sometimes bands will just go on too much on one release, this is not one of those, at least for me.

I like how they resisted the temptation not pad it out and make it 60 minutes or more like most bands seem to do in this day and age just because they can. This one is 48 minutes which is not too long but not too short imo so in that respect they at least made it so the album didn't overstay it's welcome. Maybe one reason I felt it went by fast is that I'm used to cds being longer these days. I suppose maybe they wanted the cd version and the album version to be the same length without making it a double so that could be part of the reason it's not super long too.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 22 2022 at 19:01
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 19:10
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Not quite my favorite new album like Black Midi - Hellfire or Wobbler - From Silence to Somewhere, but still very good.
The Wobbler was released five years ago. Is it new to you?

A "New" album in prog terms can be longer than 5 years. Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 19:29

I like how they resisted the temptation not pad it out and make it 60 minutes or more like most bands seem to do in this day and age just because they can. This one is 48 minutes which is not too long but not too short imo so in that respect they at least made it so the album didn't overstay it's welcome. Maybe one reason I felt it went by fast is that I'm used to cds being longer these days. I suppose maybe they wanted the cd version and the album version to be the same length without making it a double so that could be part of the reason it's not super long too.

Albums are actually a nice length as it is/was.  Although it is nice not to have to turn an album over, but even that doesn't really bother me, when I'm playing vinyl.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 20:09
I have only heard it once and I thought it was OK, but not really great. I actually remembered I hadn't heard the last Steven Wilson album yet either, so I looked it up, and I was surprised to find that, at first listen at least, I enjoyed it better that the Porcupine Tree one.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 21:11
Very good and enjoyable album.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 23:08
I like it so far, but even after 5+ listens I have yet to make my mind up. So far I'm probably somewhere around 6-8.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2022 at 03:15
Between 7 and 8 for me, rounding up to 8 after a few listens. Very well-crafted album, as would be expected. It still comes across as a checklist album to me, where there is conscientious effort to hit all the 'Porcupine Tree' characteristics. Sometimes distracts as I try to think what other PT song is this reminding me of. My favorites are Harridan, Rats Return, Herd Culling, and Chimera's Wreck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>