Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2001: 64 in PA and RYM charts: Yes or Stereolab?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2001: 64 in PA and RYM charts: Yes or Stereolab?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these two album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [60.00%]
4 [40.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2001: 64 in PA and RYM charts: Yes or Stereolab?
    Posted: August 09 2022 at 00:24
In and out of PA... What does sound-dust look like when under magnification?

There was a recent topic on Yes' Magnification being an overlooked gem (unlike, say, Fragile and Close to the Edge). Well, it has been largely overlooked by me until now, and I think that the album I'm comparing it with is commonly overlooked too (unlike Dots and Loops and Emperor Tomato Ketchup).

I decided to see how it ranks on PA's album chart for 2001, and it is at number 64. See HERE for PA chart. I then decided to check out the rateyourmusic charts to see what is listed at number 64 for 2001, and it happened to be an album by a band that I have been very into in recent years, Stereolab's Sound-Dust. See HERE for RYM chart. But it is not an album I have given much attention to. Like with Yes, it has been more earlier material by Stereolab that I have played.

Here are a couple of tracks from each album to check out of about the same length (and i happen to appreciate these even if no one else agrees with my choices).

Captain EasyChord

Suggestion diabolique

And here is the playlist for the album: CLICK

Spirit of Survival

Yes - Give Love Each Day

And the album playlist: CLICK

I actually think Yes and Stereolab make quite good bedfellows. Yes' Fragile was an album that turned me onto Prog in a major way. Feel free to vote even if it's just based on same sampling of music instead of listening to each album in full. I like to include videos in a post, but you might prefer to check out the playlist links I provided instead. I was tempted to include a "No, just no" option, but I so much prefer positivity.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 00:46
Glad to find another kindred spirit who hears the similarities between Stereolab and Yes! When listening I often and unwittingly imagine Jon Anderson in place of Laetitia Sadier, especially in their work from Emperor Tomato Ketchup onwards.

Edited by Gordy - August 09 2022 at 00:47
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 01:14
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

Glad to find another kindred spirit who hears the similarities between Stereolab and Yes! When listening I often and unwittingly imagine Jon Anderson in place of Laetitia Sadier, especially in their work from Emperor Tomato Ketchup onwards.

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing about Jon Anderson and Lætitia Sadier. I think they have a similar pitch.    Of course Stereolab has retro qualities drawing on lounge and psychedelia and early Yes had psych and pop qualities and a nice loungey aesthetic, and both can be both quite joyous and introspective and warm and playful. I'm now thinking that "The Flower Called Roundabout" might make for a nice song....
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 02:32
I had never heard any of these albums until today. Still only heard these four songs. Loved both from Stereolab. Sounded just as great as the quality of their best 1990's albums.

The sound of Yes - Magnification however is not for me. I had to check who was behind that incredibly dull and inimaginative drumming - and "shocked" to find out it's Alan White. If this wasn't Yes, it would be placed in Neo Prog. There's drops and tiny moments of genuine excitement (that their classic albums had aplenty) within both songs, but all in all mostly uneventful stuff. The orchestra adds very little of musical interest. This to me is just two semilong songs plodding along while not really going anywhere. Like with all other Neo Prog, there's not much really progressive going on here either.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 02:33
Yes - Magnification
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 02:46
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I had never heard any of these albums until today. Still only heard these four songs. Loved both from Stereolab. Sounded just as great as the quality of their best 1990's albums.

The sound of Yes - Magnification however is not for me. I had to check who was behind that incredibly dull and inimaginative drumming - and "shocked" to find out it's Alan White. If this wasn't Yes, it would be placed in Neo Prog. There's drops and tiny moments of genuine excitement (that their classic albums had aplenty) within both songs, but all in all mostly uneventful stuff. The orchestra adds very little of musical interest. This to me is just two semilong songs plodding along while not really going anywhere. Like with all other Neo Prog, there's not much really progressive going on here either.

I don’t really have anything much to add to this. I hadn’t listened to either of these albums until today. Still only heard these four songs. Loved both from Stereolab. Yes wasn’t for me.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 12:44
^ I was quite pleasantly surprised with the Yes, but to be honest, I wasn't expecting much. It was serendipitous that after considering making such a poll, the album ranking at RYM fell on a band that I have been very into over the past few years. Thanks very much for the commentary. Music of the Neo-Psych persuasion is much more likely to appeal to me than bands of the Neo-Symph persuasion, and for me Stereolab has better groove.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2022 at 07:25
Yes gets my vote.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2022 at 23:57
Stereolab - Sound-Dust is awesome but my vote goes to YES
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply