Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poetic Pieces for the Mind and Spirit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 13:38

A Christian fake
more like a bloody snake
Hell is waiting
- Without black painting

Edited by David_D - February 06 2023 at 10:01
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2023 at 09:23

Cheasy = cheese + easy
but maybe not easy cheese
More like too easy listening
and too sentimental
making the stomach upset

Edited by David_D - February 14 2023 at 03:14
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2023 at 10:37

Better qualified poetic pieces are welcome. Big smile
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 06:51
For the mind & spirit, and also the stomach:

Turnips are not just for eating...

they are for LIVING...

you got to peel it to know what's it about!

Not being sold!

OIP-2

Edited by Archisorcerus - March 19 2023 at 07:02
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2023 at 08:36

Smile
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2023 at 15:09

Back to some more lyrics which I like a lot:

Steve Hackett - "Shadow of the Hierophant" 

Veiling the nightshade bride stalks a flower revealed
Nearing the hour make haste to their threshold concealed
Lost in thought in search of vision
As the moon eclipsed the sun
Casting the same steps glimpsing his own fate to come
Melt in the dream void from which he never can run
Lost in thought in search of vision
Tears fill the fountains breaking their promise to heal
Rippling the waters mirror an ended ideal
Deep in thought but robbed of vision

(from the album Voyage of the Acolyte (1975))

Edited by David_D - March 24 2023 at 18:36
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 05:21

A very nice poem by one of the PAers, written in another thread, and to me a fine picture
of some of the life on PA - here by permission of the author, @omphaloskepsis:

"Progarchives, perchance you wonder at Paul? 
But wonder on till you feel nothing at all. Paul's ratings make truth plain. 
This Comedy of Errors' album is so beyond excellence that it make reality insane!
And King Crimson albums are not underrated...thus sayeth Paul.
Gentile Giant! Why dust thou bruise me with your medieval delivery? 
And Van der Graaf Generator's electricity schizophrenically from your hollow metal skull
I've listened to you and listened to you! But I hear nothing at all. 
  Berated,  what Paul says is underrated even though it's all for show
...thus sayeth Paul.  And away we doth go! 

...all's well that ends well...especially if your a sperm whale.
and Paul makes me smile...makes it all worth while."

Heart

Edited by David_D - March 29 2023 at 02:45
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 05:24
^

"This Comedy of Errors' album is so beyond excellence that it make reality insane!"

LOL
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 17:37

In this post, just one aphorism from Robert Fripp's 1980s Guitar Craft literature, one I in return like very much:

Greed is a poor composer.  

Star

Edited by David_D - March 29 2023 at 02:44
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2023 at 05:26

Some more modern, hard-edged and socially-engaged lyrics: 

Tool - "Ænema"     (excerpt)

Some say the end is near
Some say we'll see Armageddon soon
I certainly hope we will
I sure could use a vacation from this
Here in this hopeless f**king hole we call L.A.
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away
Any f**king time, any f**king day
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay
f**k L. Ron Hubbard and
f**k all his clones
f**k all these gun-toting
Hip gangster wannabes
Learn to swim, learn to swim
f**k retro anything
f**k your tattoos
f**k all you junkies and
f**k your short memories
Yeah, f**k smiley glad-hands
With hidden agendas
f**k these dysfunctional
Insecure actresses
Yeah, time to bring it down again
Yeah, don't just call me pessimist
Try and read between the lines
And I can't imagine why you wouldn't
Welcome any change, my friend

(from the album Ænima (1996))

Edited by David_D - January 31 2024 at 14:08
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2023 at 05:37

A couple of comments and interpretations of "Ænema" posted in SongMeanings.com:

"I'm quite surprised on how little some people know about Tool. The CD this song comes from was entirely dedicated to the late great Bill Hicks (R.I.P.), and some of the lyrics, this song specifically, are actually plays off rants that Bill Hicks had. Maynard (and Tool) and Bill Hicks were close friends. Bill Hicks had mentioned numerous times about how much he hates L.A. and just wants to flush the whole thing down, so people better start learning to swim or they will drowned in their own filth. And the "see you down in Arizona Bay" part, Bill Hicks had also said that too. So all in all, this song is pretty straight forward if you know of the legendary Bill Hicks."
(posted by Chrismbax on May 19, 2012)

"I think this song follows a similar theme to that of many Tool songs - enlightenment. It seems it can be taken at face value and that the 'narrator' is just sick of everything that is wrong with L.A. Taken to a deeper level of meaning, however, and I think the song is about hope for better rather than worse. Here is what the song translates to, in my opinion of course;

Most of the song is written from a negative perspective and in such a way that it really resonates with the disillusionment in many people. I think many people would derive a sick pleasure from watching the world collapse and to feel that their own misery is near an end, but i think the narrator sums it up perfectly when he says 'Don't just call me pessimist, try and read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't welcome any change, my friend.' To me this part implies that, although the narrator is speaking from a negative point of view, the desire is a positive one.

As with many of Tool's songs, Keenan suggests that by simply living in the here and now and by accepting each moment as the only thing that truly exists, one can be freed from the bonds of human existence and from a position in time (Parabola, perhaps?) in order to feel truly connected with the 'oneness' of consciousness. For most people, enlightenment is an esoteric concept rather than a freedom achievable with anyone who so strongly desires it. For those who do become enlightened, a large proportion had to suffer greatly in order for the transmutation to commence. Some became enlightened due to the death of a loved one, or through severe illness. In my case, I experienced a sudden flash of enlightened awareness after years of suffering from severe depression and anxiety. I am still practicing in order to get to that peaceful place again.

To me, the song seems to imply that the narrator hopes for a cataclysmic event to wake up those whose eyes are closed to the true and beautiful nature of existence.

Cheers."
(posted by myeyehurts on November 02, 2011)

Edited by David_D - March 29 2023 at 05:46
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2023 at 09:19

Talking about hard-edged lyrics, here're some Satanic and thus even more controversial, and being a part of 
a Heavy Metal album from the '80s:

Mercyful Fate - "Satan's Fall"    (excerpt)

They're walking by the night
The Moon has frozen blue
Long black coats a shelter for the rain
Their load must get through
Now bats are leaving their trees
They're joining the call
Seven Satanic Hell Preachers
Heading for the hall
Bringing a blood of a newborn child
Got to succeed, if not it's Satan's fall

Is it Satan's fall?
No it's Satan's call

(from the album Melissa (1983))

A couple of years ago, I heard from the Mercyful Fate's guitarist, Michael Denner, that King Diamond, the author 
of the lyrics, had become a High Priest in a European Satanic sect - so it has surely been serious business for him.

Edited by David_D - January 31 2024 at 14:09
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2023 at 09:39

While Wikipedia writes following about King Diamond's view of Satanism and religion:

"Diamond follows Satanism, which he does not see as a religion, but a philosophy by which he lived even before reading Anton LaVey's The Satanic Bible.[16] Michael Moynihan calls him "one of the only performers of the '80s Satanic Metal who was more than just a poseur using a devilish image for shock value".[17] Diamond has expressed concern that religion has led so many people to kill and destroy each other. He stated that he cannot comprehend why religion has caused so much death and destruction when it is logically impossible to prove the presence or absence of any deity. He states that he has reached a point in his life where he has completely given up believing in anything religious.[18]"

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Diamond#Religion)

Edited by David_D - March 29 2023 at 09:39
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 13:08

From the blossoming canopy of my family tree I silently plummet.  Wormy apple of a shameful harvest, produce of Original Sin.  In the shade of scornful branches, hides the fallen ripened fruit. 

It is there, amongst these complex shadows, that I am left to rot.

My parents loved me to death.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of my conception, I have no fear.  I am fear. I am a kindergarten scarecrow, tattered by the wind and grasping at the straws of a solitary existence. 

The rod?  It was never meant to comfort me.

The staff?  An infection within my home.  I am a contamination.  I am a virus borne through familial DNA.  Adaptation equals my survival.

No! No! This is not me.  It’s my Doppelganger, can’t you see?  Then why is my reflection laughing back… No! This can’t be. Stop!

Wait a second.

Wait a minute.

Wait a lifetime.

There is no cure for me; this festering diabetic wound I’ve become.  Hopelessly hoping, pessimistically optimistic…bleeding from the outside in.

In a corner of my mind, the place where I sleep with the lights on, I cower in rigid terror.  Immobile. Violent.  Unforgiving. I don’t need a boogeyman - he is the stuff of child’s play.

The kicks.  The slaps.  The knuckle white vise clenching the nape of my neck.

The lime green brush.

The brown leather belt with the sturdy silver buckle.

Urine trickles down my thigh, slowly curling and winding it’s way around my ankle and like a salamander slips into my shoe to hide.  I am ashamed.

I am going away now.

Kazakula sits under the old gum tree.  Merry merry king of the bushes he.  Laugh Kazakula laugh Kazakula.  What a fiend you must be.

"Look at me when I’m talking to you".

"Don’t make me do this."

"This is going to hurt you a lot more than it’s going to…"

Hurt me!

You are a very bad dolly and I’m gonna poke your eyes out.

Shout! Daddy’s broken rubber baby...

Shout! Mommy’s second coming scream,

“She’s possessed!” They cried as they thumped their Bibles.

“She’s possessed!” They professed as they skeemed to save my soul.

“She’s possessed!” They Amen'ed as they sang out: ‘Jesus loves me’

Stand down Skipper and MaryAnn, imaginary comrades no longer serve me. Ciao, Peter Pan, give Tinker Bell my shovel and pail cuz I’m going away.

Must be perfect must,must perfect be bebebe perfect must must must perfect be

God spoke to me.  Well, not directly.  Through my parents.  Well, not directly to them.  But through the Church.  And God said,

“The demons must be driven out of you or your name won’t appear in the Book of Life.”  Thankfully, the lime green brush and the sturdy silver buckle came to save my immortal soul.

The sweet wrath of love shows no mercy.

I am:

The bloodied lamb, scapegoat...Dad at my throat,

A crown of thorns in my parents’ side.

A uterine crucifixion latex revelation ride

Upon the beast with two backs

A scourge of whipped cream

"I am, I am a holy ecclesiastical thrashing of affection.  

For the genuflecting submissive.... everyday is Palm Sunday.

A wise bruise once said, “Yes, Mam.  No, Sir!”

My salvation feels like high heel hell.  I am going away now.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - March 30 2023 at 14:12
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 14:14

^ Wow! that is really something, Cindy, or more rightly speaking, I'm speechless.
I just wished, my English was better to fully appreciate this poem of yours.
I can at least say, it's really a shining pearl in this thread.

Thank you very much! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  Heart 

Edited by David_D - March 30 2023 at 14:15
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2023 at 04:54

After second reading of your poem, Cindy, I don't really know what to say...difficult stuff which affect me a lot. 
But thank you very much again for sharing it with us. Heart
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2023 at 08:52

Cindy, when did you write this poem, and I guess, you've been interested quite a lot in poetry?
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2023 at 08:31

Very politically-engaged lyrics on a mainstream Rock album from 1987:

Little Steven - "Freedom"   (excerpt)

I've seen people cryin' out for justice
I've seen people abandoned by the world
I've seen children whose eyes are so helpless
I've seen people fighting, fighting, fighting for
Freedom - crying out for
Freedom - dying
Freedom - it's all around us baby
Freedom - what you gonna do with your life?
I've seen people hungry for an answer
I've seen people crying to be heard
I've seen people tired of waiting
I've seen people fighting, fighting for
Freedom
Freedom - crying out for
Freedom - dying
Freedom - what you gonna do with your life?

(from the album Freedom, No Compromise )

Edited by David_D - January 31 2024 at 14:09
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2023 at 06:07

I think, it's good to mention here this update of my OP:

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Edit: This thread has evolved to also including quotations of lyrics, so you can do that as well. I should maybe 
mention though that only excerpts of lyrics are allowed to be quoted on the PA forum.

These lyrics have been already quoted:

Jethro Tull - "Aqualung" (1971)
  Van der Graaf Generator - "The Undercover Man" (1975)
    Black Sabbath - "Hand of Doom" (1970)
Caravan - "Winter Wine" (1971)
Bauhaus - "In the Flat Field" (1980)
Procol Harum - "In Held Twas in I" (1968)
The Doors - "When the Music's over" (1968)
Genesis - "Looking for Someone" (1970)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - "Tarkus: Battlefield" (1971)
Anekdoten - "The Old Man & The Sea" (1993)
Lunatic Soul - "The Final Truth" (2008)
        Voivod  - "The Unknown Knows" (1989)
Steve Hackett - "Shadow of the Hierophant"  (1975)
Tool - "Ænema" (1996)
Mercyful Fate - "Satan's Fall" (1983)
Little Steven - "Freedom" (1987)

Edited by David_D - April 15 2023 at 06:16
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 09:22

Having trusted in materialism and technology
rather than in human spirituality,
mankind has created a monster
from which there is no escape

Greg Lake (plus Pete Sinfield) on Brain Salad Surgery (1973)
as interpreted by Edward Macan (1997, p. 75)

Edited by David_D - May 09 2023 at 07:07
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>