Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Emerson, Lake" & Palmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Emerson, Lake" & Palmer
    Posted: September 08 2022 at 12:27
Yesterday I received a notice from Ticketmaster for tickets to see Emerson Lake & Palmer in Boston November 27.

Baffled, I googled the tour, and it consists of Carl Palmer playing drums live with film of Keith Emerson playing on a movie screen.

I find this ghastly.

Even worse than the holographic Frank Zappa from a few years ago.

There are films and recordings of most deceased masters that should suffice in allowing people too young to have seen them live to get the gist of their performances.

I had no beef with Palmer for touring with a band playing ELP music, I even own 2 CDs from them.

These ghoulish "concerts" are just money grabs.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2022 at 12:40
Horrendous
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2022 at 14:38
Bad idea. I'm surprised Palmer would do such a thing.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2022 at 15:02
I saw Zappa plays Zappa a few years back and thought it was great so saw them on the next tour and it was cut with bits of film and solos from Frank with Dweezil playing along, looking up lovingly at his old man.. and i found it rather saccharine and it rather spoiled it.. i absolutely agree that all the original footage is out there if new fans want to see and explore it and remaining members can still play the material live and keep the legacy alive if they want.. i'd rather just see the full original footage with the younger CP playing then..

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2022 at 15:22
Just another attempt to squeez another buck. Not interested at all. 
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2022 at 16:21
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I'm not.
Ian

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2022 at 16:27
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Just another attempt to squeez another buck. Not interested at all. 

basicallly me 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2022 at 17:50
I won't spend cash to see ??P, but why is it so awful? Are the Stones without Charlie okay? What about ZZ Top without Dusty? How about Zappa, Renaissance, Yes, Gong, and Kansas?

Musicians continue because they love music and they love to perform. I say, rock on!

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - September 08 2022 at 17:51
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2022 at 17:57
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I won't spend cash to see ??P, but why is it so awful? Are the Stones without Charlie okay? What about ZZ Top without Dusty? How about Zappa, Renaissance, Yes, Gong, and Kansas?

Musicians continue because they love music and they love to perform. I say, rock on!

I think the problem here for many folks isn't that Carl wants to continue to perform ELP music but that he is calling it ELP when it clearly isn't just to grab the cash cow. As such he's having Keith and Greg on stage in videos and many seem to feel that is unethical. I can understand where people are coming from but I think maybe they are being a little quick to judge. I think his biggest mistake is calling it ELP (if that actually is the case and so far it seems that way).
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2022 at 19:45
It sounds like some of you are not getting the point that both the Emerson and Lake estates are benefiting from this and have given their blessing to make it happen. Neither would see a dime if Carl just did his same old same old. So money grab? How about providing revenue for the surviving members of the E&L families ?
Plus, it's a 50th Anniversary celebration of ELP so why wouldn't the other two souls (pun intended) be included.
Haters be haters, I learned to tune them out long ago. I personally have never seen these types of events before so I might find it interesting, hard to say.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 01:54
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I'm not.

I'd have expected this from Emerson or Lake, not Palmer. Clown

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 05:22
Well, if it comes to the UK, I would go.  ELP were pioneers and I see this as an excellent way to preserve their legacy.  Keep sticking the boot in - this happened while Keith and Greg were alive and it got to them (with tragic consequences).  Miserable lot.  No one is making you pay for it.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 09:45
It's a forum, people express opinions.
Ian

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 10:41
^If I may quote the current leader of the free world (yeah, whatever) "Everyone has the right to be an idiot" LOL
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 12:35

We all have bills to pay......although I have no desire to see such a circus show.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 13:16
This is wrong on so many levels.

HOWever, Carl could do it in a way that would more than likely by accepted by most: to do this only, and I mean only, as an ENCORE segment after the initial set proper by the Carl Palmer Trio.

The lights come down, suddenly two large screens flank Carl, and it's...the "return" of Emerson, Lake & Palmer. "They" do a few signature trio songs, e.g. "Knife Edge," "Tarkus" (abridged), "Tank," "The Barbarian." The show ends.

That's how it could work, but that's not the setup.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 14:10
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I saw Zappa plays Zappa a few years back and thought it was great so saw them on the next tour and it was cut with bits of film and solos from Frank with Dweezil playing along, looking up lovingly at his old man.. and i found it rather saccharine and it rather spoiled it ...

Hi,

I think that ZPZ was already losing it, and the hassle Dweezil was having with his brother and the rest of the family was not helping, and maybe using some of the film stuff was a way to help sell some of the old stuff.

All in all, I think ZPZ was already on the decline, and it showed in a show here in Oregon (Eugene) where they opened for RETURN TO FOREVER, and in the end, ZPZ came off like a garage band, and not ready for prime time, which I think was really sad and Dweezil even messed things up more by giving some credit to Chick Corea (Moog on King Kong), and ignored the also well-known Jean-Luc Ponty who was a part of more than one of Frank's albums. 

All in all, it just made RTF look and sound even better, and you and I know that Frank would not have enjoyed that and probably fire all the musicians!

Carl's thing ... is scary and weird, and I think the whole thing will get dropped if the first show does not stand up as really fine. I suppose there is a possibility of some fine work to be done that had not been done before, but all in all ... it's just a sad thing and I would not buy a ticket.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 14:50
How about Emerson, Huntley & Palmer? That line-up would really take the biscuit! Tongue

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 06:45
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

We all have bills to pay......although I have no desire to see such a circus show.

Hi,

Heyyyyy ... c'mon ... where's the kid in you? THE CLOWNS ARE FUNNY! Wink
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 07:23
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

It sounds like some of you are not getting the point that both the Emerson and Lake estates are benefiting from this and have given their blessing to make it happen. Neither would see a dime if Carl just did his same old same old. So money grab? How about providing revenue for the surviving members of the E&L families ?
Plus, it's a 50th Anniversary celebration of ELP so why wouldn't the other two souls (pun intended) be included.
Haters be haters, I learned to tune them out long ago. I personally have never seen these types of events before so I might find it interesting, hard to say.

Very much so. Although I'm not heating up very much for this kind of things, it is at least a creative, interesting and maybe also a great way to perform their wonderful music. I'm very happy to have seen them live on their Black Moon tour and I don't think this event will be as impressive, but it is good to continue to perform a great musical legacy.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>