Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 120 Neo Prog Albums of All Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 16:12
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Should I be embarrassed that I own 70 of those albums? Embarrassed
Not as embarrassed as I am - I only own two albums on the list. Embarrassed

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Marillion - Fugazi
I also own 2, both by IQ.

Okay, then I dare to tell that I can join this club, and I'm not embarrassed, but on the other hand, I'm fond of having the two which are:

Marillion - Script
Pendragon - The Jewel 

Edited by David_D - September 15 2022 at 16:51
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 17:38
I'll have to get out a pen and a sheet of paper. ;)

I actually do have some of them (maybe ten).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 15 2022 at 17:38
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 17:55
19 due to Marillion, Fish, and IQ. Plus a couple of Magenta. As a genre, I really wasn't compelled to get try any neo-prog outside of Marillion and IQ.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 03:26
Neo-prog existed very briefly, from around 81-85 with much of it centred on the Marquee Club in London.  A number of bands did not get anything out at all (although check out the above mentioned 'Fire in Harmony' compilation or had cassette tape releases).  It was all very DIY.  The wonderful 'Twice Bitten' never got an official release, along with many others.  Anyway, the Marquee was the epicentre of it all and I got there very late in the day - to see Solstice and Haze in January 84.

Edited by Rick1 - September 16 2022 at 04:04
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 03:30
Seems like a reasonable list. Nice to see lots of Pendragon there although I would have expected Love Over Fear to be above some of their other albums.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 04:02
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Neo-prog existed very briefly, from around 81-85 with much of it centred on the Marquee Club in London.

When you're so sure about the definition of this sub-genre, I'd like to hear what it is based on. Tongue
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 04:04
Last FM's Top 40 List of Neo Prog Bands

1. IQ
 2. Pendragon
 3. Arena
 4. Marillion
 5. Satellite
 6. Pallas
 7. Collage 
 8. The Tangent
 9. Echolyn
10. Fish 
11. Jadis 
12. Believe
13. It Bites
14. Spock's Beard
15. Frost*
16. The Watch
17. Gazpacho
18. Moongarden
19. RPWL
20. Clepsydra
21. The Flower Kings
22. The Reasoning
23. Little Atlas
24. Galahad
25. KingBathMat
26. Mansun
27. Sylvan
28. IT
29. Discipline
30. Millenium
31. Presto Ballet
32. Magenta
33. Quidam
34. Mindgames
35. Martigan
36. Galleon
37. Illuvatar
38. Knight Area
39. Anubis
40. Comedy of Errors

I prefer Last.FM's list, mainly because it includes Discipline, Echolyn, The Flower Kings & Spock's Beard amongst Neo Prog bands, even though I'm not a fan of any of those bands. Wacko 

From my perspective, Neo Prog is really just another name for a new generation of Symphonic Prog. Big smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 16 2022 at 04:06
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 04:05
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Neo-prog existed very briefly, from around 81-85 with much of it centred on the Marquee Club in London.

When you're so sure about the definition of this sub-genre, I'd like to hear what it is based on. Tongue

Having lived through it?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 04:07

He's referring to the English neo-prog scene and I'll have to believe him, but in the late 80-early 90s the scene revived and in the 90s a new wave of bands appeared. 
Also neo-prog was not exclusively British, there were bands in other countries as well. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 04:23
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

He's referring to the English neo-prog scene and I'll have to believe him, but in the late 80-early 90s the scene revived and in the 90s a new wave of bands appeared. 
Also neo-prog was not exclusively British, there were bands in other countries as well. 
There's a couple of Neo Prog bands on the RYM & Last.FM list from eastern Europe that I'm looking forward to checking out:- Satellite & Collage. I haven't listened to them yet, but I expect they'll be well-Polished. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 16 2022 at 04:26
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 04:30

At the time, it didn't feel like an international movement and I don't recall bands from other countries coming in.  Neo-prog was characterised by a DIY, almost post-punk ethic, and only Marillion attained commercial success and were the only band that the wider music public were conscious of.  Pallas were the only other band signed up by a major label.  What came later was a revival, as you point out, which does not seem to be linked to a particular place or movement.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 04:30

There's a couple of Neo Prog bands on the RYM & Last.FM list from eastern Europe that I'm looking forward to checking out:- Satellite & Collage. I haven't listened to them yet, but I expect they'll be well-Polished. Tongue

Poland has a really good neo-prog scene, a lot of good stuff, definitely worth exploring. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 04:39

Poland has a really good neo-prog scene, a lot of good stuff, definitely worth exploring. 
Djiekuje! I'm just hoping Collage & Satellite both sing in English, as I doubt if there are many people outside of Poland who understand Polish. Smile 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 04:43

Djiekuje! I'm just hoping Collage & Satellite both sing in English, as I doubt if there are many people outside of Poland who understand Polish. Smile 

Satellite sing in English. 
Collage has albums in English and a few in Polish. Moonshine (1994) is a must listen. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 04:44
Citizens of Hope & Glory: an excellent history of Progressive Rock, where Echolyn, The Flower Kings & Spock's Beard all featured heavily in the chapter on Neo Prog. Smile

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 04:47

Citizens of Hope & Glory: an excellent history of Progressive Rock, where Echolyn, The Flower Kings & Spock's Beard all featured heavily in the chapter on Neo Prog. Smile

Let me tell you again, since you're baiting me again - I disagree, and many others will to. Let it go, please. 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 04:59
Satellite - A Street Between Sunrise 

Now Paul... click on this link and buy this album. Even you can afford this price, and you can thank me later, especially as you are often moaning that you can't build a library of affordable neo-prog... 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 05:06
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Satellite - A Street Between Sunrise 

Now Paul... click on this link and buy this album. Even you can afford this price, and you can thank me later, especially as you are often moaning that you can't build a library of affordable neo-prog... 
Thanks! It's a pity I never buy anything from Ebay, so I'll keep a look out for the album in the Satellite towns around Nottingham. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 05:08

Let me tell you again, since you're baiting me again - I disagree, and many others will to. Let it go, please. 
I don't mind you disagreeing with me again. It's when we agree on something that I begin to get worried. Tongue
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 05:26

Thanks! It's a pity I never buy anything from Ebay, so I'll keep a look out for the album in the Satellite towns around Nottingham. Smile

Confused

I don't think I'm even going to try to understand that comment...

Ermm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>