Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 120 Neo Prog Albums of All Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2022 at 09:11
My top three neo-prog artists would be:
Sanguine Hum - Love all their work
Frost* - Milliontown is a masterpiece
The Psychedelic Ensemble - The neo band that no one knows about

Then in no order...
Arena - John Mitchell elevates this band
Sylvan - Posthumous Silence and Artificial Paradise are amazing
K2 - Allan Holdsworth guests on the first album
Lifesigns - Cheerful prog pop music
Subsignal - Heavy neo

Marillion, IQ, Pendragon are bands that aren't my pint of brew.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2022 at 09:44
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Anyway … back to the topic of the OP …

This thread has taken on a life of its own while I've been away, but anyway, getting back on-topic,  I just discovered today that Riverside are a Polish band too, so I'll add them to my Polish prog playlist, even though they're not classed as Neo Prog. Smile

Abraxas
Collage
Quidam
Riverside
Satellite
SBB

And you haven't even explored Albion, Millenium, Votum, Proghma-C, Believe, Mr. Gil, Lunatic Soul, Retrospective, Pinkroom, Tune, Lizard, Amarok, Jerzy Antczak, Starsabout, Indukti, Lebowski, Osada Vida, Fren, Moonrise, and Loonypark yet!

Anyway, Polish prog is for the distant future (maybe sometime in 2024) as I still have a British Neo Prog Top 30 playlist to listen to first. Smile 

Abel Ganz
Arena
Castanarc
Credo
Cyan
Edison's Children
Elegant Simplicity
The Far Meadow
Fish
Frost*
Galahad
IQ
It Bites
Jadis
Janison Edge
Landmarq
Lifesigns
Magenta 
Marillion
Nth Ascension
Martin Orford
Pallas
Pendragon
Quantum Pig
Sanguine Hum
Shadowland
Solstice
The Tangent
Twelfth Night
The Violet Hour

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 17 2022 at 16:26
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2022 at 09:46
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

My top three neo-prog artists would be:
Sanguine Hum - Love all their work
Frost* - Milliontown is a masterpiece
The Psychedelic Ensemble - The neo band that no one knows about

Then in no order...
Arena - John Mitchell elevates this band
Sylvan - Posthumous Silence and Artificial Paradise are amazing
K2 - Allan Holdsworth guests on the first album
Lifesigns - Cheerful prog pop music
Subsignal - Heavy neo

Marillion, IQ, Pendragon are bands that aren't my pint of brew.
I just discovered that Lifesigns and Sanguine Hum are both British bands, so I've added them to my Neo Prog playlist. Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2022 at 11:10
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Relevant bit highlighted in red.

A good idea - perhaps I might suggest that you do the same with Paul when you take offence at one of his posts, this to save public spats open to all and sundry?

You'd think it would be a good idea because I have tried that, he never answered back, in fact he went and wrote on the forum what I told him privately. Sure, why not... Ouch

Don't take it personally. I hardly ever reply to P.M.'s - as David will tell you. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2022 at 11:12
British Neo Prog Top 30 Playlist

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 17 2022 at 12:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2022 at 12:17
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2022 at 14:10

Don't take it personally. I hardly ever reply to P.M.'s - as David will tell you. Wink

Right, and I think, we're talking about some communication which as a principle is relevant for all the members of the forum.

Edited by David_D - September 17 2022 at 14:15
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2022 at 18:17
I'd like to mention Twin Age out of Sweden, they have two albums I really appreciate "Lialim High" and "Month Of The Year". In the liner notes of the first one I mentioned they thank Jan Erik the Anekdoten bass player along with Ken Golden, Greg Walker and Steve F from Wayside. Not sure why I mentioned that but...
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2022 at 01:45
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I'd like to mention Twin Age out of Sweden, they have two albums I really appreciate "Lialim High" and "Month Of The Year". In the liner notes of the first one I mentioned they thank Jan Erik the Anekdoten bass player along with Ken Golden, Greg Walker and Steve F from Wayside. Not sure why I mentioned that but...

Thanks for the recommendation. Thumbs Up I'm not a fan of turnips and swedes, but I do love my Swedish prog and these are my current Top 10 favourites from the land of the midnight sun:-

Anglagard
Dice
Roine Stolt and the Flower Kings
Galleon
Grand Stand
Indisciplined Lucy
Isidurs Bane
Par Lindh Project
Samla Mammas Manna
Simon Says

Unfortunately, Anekdoten and Opeth are not to my tastes, just like turnips and swedes. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 18 2022 at 03:11
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2022 at 02:38

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Should I be embarrassed that I own 70 of those albums? Embarrassed

Not as embarrassed as I am - I only own two albums on the list. Embarrassed

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Marillion - Fugazi

I own 52 of these albums. Surprised there’s no Mostly Autumn on this list.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2022 at 02:39

Interesting to see how few albums from the 2010s or 2020s made the list. Wonder what number of ratings/reviews/citings an album has to receive in order to qualify for a list.

The fact that Sylvan's Home and One to Zero made the list but not Posthumous Silence or Force of Gravity boggles my mind more than a little.

Love seeing MilliontownSeven, and Moonshine, up there in the top 20.

Weird that I still can't hear/see the Neo Prog in any of Arena's stuff.

And no Glass Hammer, Shamall, The Watch, The Flower Kings, Silhouette, Edison's Children, Darwin's Radio, Believe, Willowglass, Cirrus Bay, Unitopia, Nine Stones Close, or Spock's Beard!

And not enough Mystery! 

Glass Hammer and The Flower Kings are solidly symphonic prog while Spock's Beard is not really neo either to my ears but not entirely sure what they come under.

As for the list, its okay I suppose. All Marillion 80's albums at the top albeit in a slightly strange order. 

Edited by richardh - September 18 2022 at 02:40
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2022 at 02:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Interesting to see how few albums from the 2010s or 2020s made the list. Wonder what number of ratings/reviews/citings an album has to receive in order to qualify for a list.

The fact that Sylvan's Home and One to Zero made the list but not Posthumous Silence or Force of Gravity boggles my mind more than a little.

And no Glass Hammer, Shamall, The Watch, The Flower Kings, Silhouette, Edison's Children, Darwin's Radio, Believe, Willowglass, Cirrus Bay, Unitopia, Nine Stones Close, or Spock's Beard!

And not enough Mystery! 

Glass Hammer and The Flower Kings are solidly symphonic prog while Spock's Beard is not really neo either to my ears but not entirely sure what they come under.

As for the list, its okay I suppose. All Marillion 80's albums at the top albeit in a slightly strange order. 

The Neal Morse era Spock’s Beard albums are solid symphonic prog to my ears but I do agree with the running order of the Marillion albums.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2022 at 03:07
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Marillion - Fugazi

I own 52 of these albums. Surprised there’s no Mostly Autumn on this list.

I'd like to have seen Mostly Autumn on the list too, but I've never seen them classed as Neo Prog, no matter how hard I've looked. Smile
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2022 at 05:41

And not enough Mystery! 

I disagree! The sound palettes, structural forms, and melodic sensibilities of all three of these band's works--even song-by-song--have been used before--are familiar to the seasoned listener (i.e. anyone familiar with the progressive rock, rock, and classic rock discographies of the 1970s)--with Roine Stolt being the most blatant and egregious "offender". This, to my mind, lends to their inclusion within the realms of Neo Prog: "new prog using the old". Of the three and a half, Neal Morse seems the one who is able to create the most fresh and "new" symphonic structures albeit still using "classic" forms and sound palettes. 

No one can blame an artist for wanting to revive and/or perpetuate a hallowed/revered sound, form, or style from the past. This practice, however, does breed the consequence of familiarity and, then, comparison. It's difficult to compare the discographies of Univers Zero, Henry Cow, Art Zoyd, Present, Humble Grumble, Major Parkinson, Yugen, Allan Holdsworth, Bill Bruford's Earthworks, and Factor Burzaco to previous songs/albums cuz there are so few taking rock music beyond the comfortable forms that have dominated rock/prog rock before, thus, you will rarely hear any "neo" suffix attached to a categorical definition of these bands. Today's symphonic artists are, however, mostly using the forms, sounds, and major/minor/pentatonic scales that were used by artists in the 1960s and 1970s, thus present certain degrees of "neo" or "revivalism," n'est-ce pas?

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2022 at 06:06

And not enough Mystery! 

I disagree! The sound palettes, structural forms, and melodic sensibilities of all three of these band's works--even song-by-song--have been used before--are familiar to the seasoned listener (i.e. anyone familiar with the progressive rock, rock, and classic rock discographies of the 1970s)--with Roine Stolt being the most blatant and egregious "offender". This, to my mind, lends to their inclusion within the realms of Neo Prog: "new prog using the old". Of the three and a half, Neal Morse seems the one who is able to create the most fresh and "new" symphonic structures albeit still using "classic" forms and sound palettes. 

No one can blame an artist for wanting to revive and/or perpetuate a hallowed/revered sound, form, or style from the past. This practice, however, does breed the consequence of familiarity and, then, comparison. It's difficult to compare the discographies of Univers Zero, Henry Cow, Art Zoyd, Present, Humble Grumble, Major Parkinson, Yugen, Allan Holdsworth, Bill Bruford's Earthworks, and Factor Burzaco to previous songs/albums cuz there are so few taking rock music beyond the comfortable forms that have dominated rock/prog rock before, thus, you will rarely hear any "neo" suffix attached to a categorical definition of these bands. Today's symphonic artists are, however, mostly using the forms, sounds, and major/minor/pentatonic scales that were used by artists in the 1960s and 1970s, thus present certain degrees of "neo" or "revivalism," n'est-ce pas?

You may be interested to know that The Flower Kings are listed as both Symphonic Prog and Neo Prog on Google - which I agree with - so there's plenty of Flower Power to go around for everyone, no matter whether your tastes veer more towards either Symphonic Prog or Neo Prog. At the end of the day (that's a cliche Wink), it doesn't really matter to me what The Flower Kings are categorised as on PA so long as they continue to make great music. Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 09:37

And not enough Mystery! 

that's not my understanding of Neo Prog at all. It started with Marillion, IQ , Twelfth Night, Pallas and the like. It was more about bringing prog down to earth and away from, dare I say, 'Airy Fairy Nonsense' and lyrics that make no sense. Neo was a valiant attempt to ground prog but while retaining the best aspects of the musicianship. Glass Hammer and The Flower Kings very much embrace the classic era of symph prog and are not trying to modfiy it this is true but anyone that thinks that music evolves only by using different instruments is missing the point. You literally can create new music the way GH and TFK do otherwise pretty much no classical music has ever evolved which I doubt is true. This is my take on it. People generally dislike Neo Prog because they simply don't understand it which is sad really.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 11:08
^ Exactly; neo-prog was a particular movement exemplified by a small number of bands; most of whom did not have record deals.  The scene was largely DIY and the music obtained on cassette tapes bought at gigs or mail order - I still have several: Solstice, Pendragon etc.  The release of the 'Fire in Harmony' sampler was snapped up!  I find this discussion of bands such as Glass Hammer and Flower Kings far removed from those sweaty nights at the Marquee Club.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 10:49
I own 40 of these albums, going back to the OP. IQ are my favourite band and I’m a bit surprised to see some of their albums so far down, including Road Of Bones🤔

It Bites, Marillion, Pendragon, Frost* are all great. I need to listen to more Jadis and Arena…..
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 03:37
^ possibly part of the issue is that Road Of Bones was released both as a single disc version and also with the bonus disc. I always preferred the bonus disc over the 'official' release personally so without looking at millions of reviews I'm not sure what the reviewers are basing their ratings on.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 03:51
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Marillion - Fugazi

I also own 2, both by IQ.

I beat you with one Marillion (that I don't particularly like) and two IQ (that I do like a lot). Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>