Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post-1970's Prog: The Year 2006

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.04%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.08%]
10 [20.41%]
5 [10.20%]
4 [8.16%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.04%]
5 [10.20%]
1 [2.04%]
2 [4.08%]
3 [6.12%]
2 [4.08%]
2 [4.08%]
3 [6.12%]
1 [2.04%]
2 [4.08%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.04%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.12%]
1 [2.04%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post-1970's Prog: The Year 2006
    Posted: October 18 2023 at 05:21
The Mars Volta
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2023 at 00:50
Magenta - Home
Mostly Autumn - Heart Full Of Sky
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere
Steve Hackett - Wild Orchids
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2023 at 16:20
Seven Reizh
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2023 at 12:11
This poll result finally puts the icicle on the cake for Frost*, not only winning the recent Neo Prog poll but winning easily here too against all-comers. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2022 at 04:19
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Little Man is one of my all-time favourite The Pineapple Thief albums. But, although I love The Pineapple Thief, it took a long time for me to be able to buy this album, let alone listen to it. I almost didn’t buy it, and when I bought it, I almost didn’t listen to it.

And, although as aforementioned, this is one of my all-time favourite The Pineapple Thief albums, I still hardly ever listen to it. So since I’ve not listened to it for around three years, I’ve made myself listen to it again now.

This is an extremely beautiful, fragile, and melancholic album to listen to - whilst at the same time, in spite of the beauty and fragility, it is also dark, heavy, and sometimes almost violent. It is extremely moving. Even the cover art is extremely evocative, and triggering. I find it hard to look at, as beautiful as it is.

When my son, Toby  was born, it was a very hard time for me. We went to the hospital just to be sure, as Cherish was a little worried. We weren’t really given much information, but it was clear the hospital staff were worried, too. Cherish was rushed in for an emergency caesarean. Toby came out blue, limp, still and quiet. He was given diamorphine. We were able to see him for a little while, before he was taken away to SCUBU (or whatever it is called these days).

While Cherish was taken back to a ward for recovery, I was spoken to, and taken to see Toby. I was told that there was a good chance he wouldn’t make it through the night, but please not to tell Cherish, as she needed to rest and recover from the emergency procedure. I could barely see Toby for all the equipment covering his face and chest, and all the wires and tubes connected to his body.

Toby struggled through his first days, but he is alright now. I can’t imagine what it must be like, to actually lose a child. I struggled for quite some time after Toby recovered. Unbeknownst to me, I was suffering from post-natal PTSD. It was diagnosed by the midwife when she was visiting Cherish prior to the birth of my daughter, Phoebe.

The cover art is harrowing for me, and the music more so. Most of my friends who know me through a shared love of music, know that generally speaking lyrics pass me by. The vocals are usually just another instrument in the mix for me, and I very rarely pay attention what is actually being sung. Perhaps because I am aware of what this album describes lyrically, or perhaps because there are so few lyrics at all, they stand out more, I can’t help but hear them on this album. Quite clearly the lyrics are written from the (broken) heart, and I do find them hard to process.

I know a lot of people make Radiohead comparisons with this album, and of course I can hear why. I also hear a lot of Anekdoten, though whether Bruce had listened to that band, I don’t know. Perhaps it’s just the gravity (excuse the bad pun) of the lyrics and music?

As is almost always the case with The Pineapple Thief, the album finishes marvellously, if somewhat crushingly. It reminds me quite a bit of Remember Us from Variations, despite sounding quite different. The beeping which features throughout tightens my chest every time it appears. I’m immediately back in SCUBU, by Toby’s side with those beeps. It’s amazing how one simple sound can pull back so many memories. For a long time, even when I could listen to this album, I couldn’t listen to this song. It’s one of my favourite TPT songs now, even if I still rarely manage to listen to it.

It must have been hard for Bruce to write this, but cathartic. It is hard for me to listen to, but cathartic. Music is medicine.

Toby’s suffering was due to undiagnosed Group B Strep. My Little Man is alive. He, and we, were lucky. Others are not. This is a wonderful album which is often overlooked in TPT’s discography. Perhaps because it is too personal? Perhaps it is only appreciated (if that’s even the right word) by those who have been through similar trauma? Regardless, it gets my vote. For Bruce, for his Little Man, and for me, and my Little Man.

Thanks for sharing your memories, Nick. I'll be sure to add The Pineapple Thief's albums to my future playlists, having only given the Little Man album a brief listen up to now. Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 11:14
A preview of the 25 prog artists coming up in tomorrow's poll for the year 2007:-

Anekdoten
Big Big Train
Dream Theater
The Flower Kings
Galahad
Gazpacho
Karda Estra
Knight Area
Jon Lord
Lunar Dunes
Magic Pie
Marillion
Neal Morse
Nexus
Outer Limits
Pendragon
Phideaux
The Pineapple Thief
Porcupine Tree
Riverside
Satellite
Chris Squire
The Tangent
Vangelis
Rick Wakeman

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 23 2022 at 11:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2022 at 00:29
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Deluge Grander followed by The Tangent and, at some distance, Iona and David Gilmour.

It's good to see a vote for Deluge Grander, when I wan't sure if anyone would know an obscure album from the remote region of the Urals. Smile

but the band is not Uralian

I'm sure there's a Russian band in the poll somewhere, although not necessarily from the Urals region. Smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2022 at 20:53
^ Kotebel's Omphalos for me too, in my case over the Deluge Grander and Karda Estra albums.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2022 at 18:24
Kotebel - Omphalos
EduTatsumi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EduTatsumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2022 at 10:35
1- Frost* - Milliontown
2- Magenta - Home
3- The Flower Kings - Paradox Hotel
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 17:37
Porcupine Tree over Pineapple Thief and I like The Tangent release too.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 17:06
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Deluge Grander followed by The Tangent and, at some distance, Iona and David Gilmour.

It's good to see a vote for Deluge Grander, when I wan't sure if anyone would know an obscure album from the remote region of the Urals. Smile

but the band is not Uralian
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 13:44

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 13:38
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 12:44
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

Gilmour + Magenta.

I'd rank the albums in that same order too with Mostly Autumn running a very close third. Thumbs Up
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 12:18
PT Arriving Somewhere
+
Deluge grander
Iona
Gilour
Jadis
Kotebel
Tangent
North Sea radio Orchestra
and
Nexus
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 12:10
Gilmour + Magenta.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 09:18
Steve Hackett, David Gilmour, Porcupine Tree.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 09:17
This, I think, is the easiest poll so far.

Frost* - Milliontown

Then The Tangent - A Place in the Queue.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 08:50
Rick Wakeman's Retro – recorded entirely with vintage gear pulled out of storage.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>